PDA

View Full Version : Unreturned library book leads to woman's arrest

Trashman
01-23-2009, 11:33 PM
INDEPENDENCE, Iowa – An Iowa woman has been arrested because she failed to return a library book. Thirty-nine-year-old Shelly Koontz was arrested Thursday night on a fifth-degree theft charge. She is accused of keeping "The Freedom Writers Diary," which she checked out from the public library in nearby Jesup in April.

Police say the book — which is about a high school teacher's effort to inspire students to write — is valued at $13.95.

Court records show library employees tried repeatedly to contact Koontz by phone and mail. A police officer even visited her home last September.

Officials at the Buchanan County jail say Koontz was released after posting $250 bond. No telephone listing for Koontz could be found in the Independence area.

I. B. Watching
01-24-2009, 10:51 PM
Nuts, I took 'The Rites of Autumn" from my high school library about 33 years ago, and I have no plans on returning it. I'm hoping there's some statute of limitations on this. Besides, it's too good of Texas football history book to give back:)

Stownhorse
01-25-2009, 04:13 AM
You thief. The law. B. Watching.

Trashman
01-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by I. B. Watching
Nuts, I took 'The Rites of Autumn" from my high school library about 33 years ago, and I have no plans on returning it. I'm hoping there's some statute of limitations on this. Besides, it's too good of Texas football history book to give back:)

As long as it wasn't in Iowa, you should be fine.:D

blowfish
01-25-2009, 01:06 PM
Statute of limitations on Misdemeanor Theft in texas is 2 years.
You should be fine.

Of course you have opened yourself up for a Civil suit by all the people that could have read the book and bettered themselves over the years. I am thinking you better get to Nevada and incorporate to protect yourself. :D

Old Dog
01-25-2009, 04:45 PM
My Mrs. works at our library................non return of books, CDs and DVDs is becoming a huge problem for all libraries. Burnet County now turns all long term non returns as theft and gives names over to the County Attorney (they will and do prosecute).

I. B. Watching
01-26-2009, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by blowfish
Statute of limitations on Misdemeanor Theft in texas is 2 years.
You should be fine.

Of course you have opened yourself up for a Civil suit by all the people that could have read the book and bettered themselves over the years. I am thinking you better get to Nevada and incorporate to protect yourself. :D
I did not think about how my actions may have affected thousands of potential readers over the last three decades.:(