PDA

View Full Version : Perception that Dallas Cowboys QB Tony Romo doesn't care is wrong

Txbroadcaster
01-22-2009, 06:39 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/012309dnspoarcher.1c13c9ff.html

Macarthur
01-23-2009, 02:08 PM
Good article.

People are funny. I remember reading lots of stuff on when schools hire new coaches. Some think you've got to have a guy that runs up and down the sideline yelling and screaming all the time.

There are lots of ways to skin a cat. Parcells style can get it done and so can Dungy's.

Farmersfan
01-23-2009, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/012309dnspoarcher.1c13c9ff.html

I read a different slant into this type of thinking. Romo writes his comments off as an attempt to put the pain of losing behind him so he can move on. I strongly believe that the pain of losing needs to stay with him and that is what drives most people to excel. To accept losing as a "part of life" or "not the worst thing that can happen" is a symptom of a bigger issue. Most exceptional performers have a attitude of "I will not lose" or "losing is unacceptable" and don't worry about trying to put it behind them. They use it to drive for greater performance next time. To explain poor performances away with a off the cuff comment about "LIFE" just tells me where his priorities are. But to be fair, if I had my 60 million contract and a taste of Simpson I might have a satisfied attitude also..........

crzyjournalist03
01-23-2009, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
To accept losing as a "part of life" or "not the worst thing that can happen" is a symptom of a bigger issue. Most exceptional performers have a attitude of "I will not lose" or "losing is unacceptable" and don't worry about trying to put it behind them. They use it to drive for greater performance next time. To explain poor performances away with a off the cuff comment about "LIFE" just tells me where his priorities are. But to be fair, if I had my 60 million contract and a taste of Simpson I might have a satisfied attitude also..........

Funny...as kids we're all taught that there's more to life than winning and losing, but if a professional athlete lives by the same rule that we all teach our children, he doesn't care and has issues...:rolleyes:

Emerson1
01-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Funny...as kid's we're all taught that there's more to life than winning and losing, but if a professional athlete lives by the same rule that we all teach our children, he doesn't care and has issues...:rolleyes:
If this was anyone but a Dallas Cowboy he would be honored as a standout person for putting the important things before a game. :rolleyes:

Aesculus gilmus
01-23-2009, 04:35 PM
The perception that millions no longer care about the Dallas Cowboys is correct.

Bullaholic
01-23-2009, 04:44 PM
Here's my $.02. This is Romo's defense mechanism. You have to remember that he is still a relatively young QB and he is trying to find out how to cope with the media on one side and the fans on the other. He is still floating "trial" balloons. When he finds what works for him, he will settle down. I think this will be after he has found success in that "big" game. However. In the meantime, he is just "treading water".

Macarthur
01-23-2009, 04:50 PM
I challenge everyone to go find press conf clips of Payton & Eli after their many failures. How about Brees or Elway pre-Davis. I think everyone agrees that the timing of what he said was poor and I'm sure he would do it different if he had it to do over again.

But for everyone to make some huge psychoanalytical deal out of it is crazy.

I_Do_Care
01-23-2009, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
But for everyone to make some huge psychoanalytical deal out of it is crazy. thank you. Just a bunch of amateur psychology lol

Farmersfan
01-23-2009, 11:33 PM
I challenge everyone to go find press conf clips of Payton & Eli after their many failures. How about Brees or Elway pre-Davis. I think everyone agrees that the timing of what he said was poor and I'm sure he would do it different if he had it to do over again.

I honestly don't expect anyone will find a single quote from any of those QB's you mentioned that have them shrugging off a lose like Romo has done on many occasions. The thing is that when you are under duress or in a stressful situation a person will normally show their true colors. Romo showed his and ONLY NOW is doing damage control because people are starting to take notice. And I agree he would do it differently if he could do it again because it blew up in his face.

Payton Manning played a really poor game and he got on TV and told everyone that he let down all his fans and he was very sorry. He promised he would try his best to not let it happen again. Romo just tells us it's all part of the game and he has had worst things happen to him than a loss in a sporting event.............

Farmersfan
01-23-2009, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by I_Do_Care
thank you. Just a bunch of amateur psychology lol

Aren't you doing the exact same thing except in support of him??????

IHStangFan
01-23-2009, 11:43 PM
Funny...as kids we're all taught that there's more to life than winning and losing, but if a professional athlete lives by the same rule that we all teach our children, he doesn't care and has issues...:rolleyes: as a kid it's not your JOB to win, and you're not being paid millions to do so.

Farmersfan
01-23-2009, 11:44 PM

I think if you talked to a real "head Doctor" he would tell you that people tend to say what they truly feel during times of distress or duress. Cops get ton's of confessions while the defendants are scared and confused. Then later after they had time to think about it they will change their tune. Romo isn't any different. I choose to believe that his FIRST comments were true to his heart and now he is simply throwing around the politically correct things to say in order to damage control. If you read between the lines you will see that even Aikmen wouldn't give you a dime for Romo's future in the NFL.

Farmersfan
01-23-2009, 11:49 PM
Funny...as kids we're all taught that there's more to life than winning and losing, but if a professional athlete lives by the same rule that we all teach our children, he doesn't care and has issues...:rolleyes:

The key word is "Professional". The man is paid to win.

Txbroadcaster
01-24-2009, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
[B If you read between the lines you will see that even Aikmen wouldn't give you a dime for Romo's future in the NFL. [/B]

You read between the lines alot and assume alot imo

I read nothing in what Aikman said that made it sound like he did not think romo has a future.

He said Romo needs to worry about perception whether that is fair or not and said maybe things happen to quick for tony, but nothing saying he has no future

Twirling Time
01-24-2009, 03:58 AM
Damage control.