PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Bomar "Oklahoma got off light."

Phil C
01-22-2009, 05:43 PM
This is strong stuff. Start reading at the bottom sentence on the second column. Also USC may have got off light too considering the money his (Reggie Bush's) family got for that nice house. The thing is that if it were the Aggies or Baylor or SMU then they would have been penalized severely. Ye ole double standards maybe.

http://today.sportingnews.com/sportingnewstoday/20090122/?pg=5

Pick6
01-22-2009, 05:52 PM
Jerry Bomar = moron

LH Panther Mom
01-22-2009, 05:56 PM
:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
Jerry Bomar = moron

RiverRat19
01-22-2009, 07:19 PM
Karma... Sorry, but if a father who coaches high school football allows his son to go to OU... And the kid goes willingly... I'm not going to say that they got what they deserved... but, I'm not sure I let my kid go to OU.

Bull Butter
01-23-2009, 12:13 AM
Why is Jerry Bomar conisdered a moron? Because he let his kid go to Oklahoma????

Take off the burnt-orange glasses for a few minutes and read this story with an objective mind.

Here was an 18 year old kid who was told he didn't have to do a single thing and he would be handed a $7000 check..................
I was 18 once and at the time would have killed for the chance to do nada for 7 grand

Rhett screwed up. Big time. He paid the price. It cost him a D-1 career. OU got off scot-free. I can see where Rhett and his dad might harbor some resentment toward OU.

RMAC
01-23-2009, 12:56 AM
It's all one big conspiracy. If he doesn't get drafted they'll both be singing like canaries. I remember reading something from Jerry after this whole debacle to the extent of "Oklahoma did nothing wrong." Sometimes that "Keep-Quiet-$$" doesn't go as far as you thought.:thinking: :D

Pick6
01-23-2009, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
Why is Jerry Bomar conisdered a moron? Because he let his kid go to Oklahoma????

Take off the burnt-orange glasses for a few minutes and read this story with an objective mind.

Here was an 18 year old kid who was told he didn't have to do a single thing and he would be handed a $7000 check..................
I was 18 once and at the time would have killed for the chance to do nada for 7 grand

Rhett screwed up. Big time. He paid the price. It cost him a D-1 career. OU got off scot-free. I can see where Rhett and his dad might harbor some resentment toward OU.

It has nothing to do with OU. My nephews attend school where Bomar coaches at. I was being nice when I used the word moron to describe him.

I. B. Watching
01-23-2009, 08:16 AM
He is a moron. Jerry Bomar also loves being in the limelight, and seeing his name in print. I remember back when Bomar was playing at OU, daddy did all he could to be sure his own comments were in the paper about Rhett's progress, etc. If Rhett is fortunate enough to get drafted, and I hope he does, it's going to be a package deal, because whoever signs him, is gonna get daddy too.

cshscougar08
01-23-2009, 09:05 AM
OU didn't do anything to warrant Bomar's criticism. His son gladly accepted a fat check for doing nothing. That's a reflection on Rhett and boosters, not OU. His daddy needs to stop whining. He said in the article they don't harbor any resentment toward OU, but he sure fooled me!!!

Fletch
01-23-2009, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Pick6
Jerry Bomar = moron

Why? Because he dared to criticize the mighty OU and Stoops?:eek:

Pick6
01-23-2009, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Fletch
Why? Because he dared to criticize the mighty OU and Stoops?:eek:

It has nothing to do with OU or Stoops. Read more of the thread before you spout off and you might of already realized that.

Black_Magic
01-23-2009, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
OU didn't do anything to warrant Bomar's criticism. His son gladly accepted a fat check for doing nothing. That's a reflection on Rhett and boosters, not OU. His daddy needs to stop whining. He said in the article they don't harbor any resentment toward OU, but he sure fooled me!!! Oh bull. OU football is as at fault as Rhett. Rhett AND OU got off light.

I. B. Watching
01-23-2009, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
Oh bull. OU football is as at fault as Rhett. Rhett AND OU got off light.
Yeah, OK:rolleyes:

cshscougar08
01-23-2009, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
Oh bull. OU football is as at fault as Rhett. Rhett AND OU got off light.

Please explain how OU football is at fault for Rhett accepting a free 7K from someone. This oughta be good!

Emerson1
01-23-2009, 04:04 PM
Please explain how OU football is at fault for Rhett accepting a free 7K from someone. This oughta be good!
If OU isn't responsible for it's players taking money from boosters then how is Texas responsible for what players do off campus?

That's what I thought son.

cshscougar08
01-23-2009, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
If OU isn't responsible for it's players taking money from boosters then how is Texas responsible for what players do off campus?

I didn't say Texas was responsible. I implied that it gave them a bad rap. Just like probations have given us a bad rap in the past.

Black_Magic
01-23-2009, 04:38 PM
Well heck then lets let them all have outside folks give gifts of money to players... heck if they get caught its the players fault and they are the only ones who will get punnished. So if you just let outside folks (OU boosters) do it, the university can just turn the other way and if it comes to light the only one who takes the fall is the player not the program.... of course the program is at fault. you dont think he got money for his great grade point average do you. and howmany other OU students also recieved that kind of money for NOTHING....:rolleyes:

cshscougar08
01-23-2009, 04:48 PM
I was right. That was good.

The reason the university, in any scenario such as this, should never take the fall is that the university doesn't control the actions of it's fans. If, when I'm older, I decide to send some money to an OU athlete, David Boren isn't gonna call me and say, "Don't do that." He has no control over my actions just like any other university. That's why I disagree with the NCAA for punishing schools when random people give money to their athletes. It's the PEOPLE who should be punished. I feel that the universities get punished only because someone has to.

sahen
01-23-2009, 04:57 PM

The reason the university, in any scenario such as this, should never take the fall is that the university doesn't control the actions of it's fans. If, when I'm older, I decide to send some money to an OU athlete, David Boren isn't gonna call me and say, "Don't do that." He has no control over my actions just like any other university. That's why I disagree with the NCAA for punishing schools when random people give money to their athletes. It's the PEOPLE who should be punished. I feel that the universities get punished only because someone has to.

the universities should make it very clear to their athletes that accepting money is a violation and that if they accept it then there will be consequences to the player, coaching staff, and the school...these guys are 18-25 and have high school diplomas, its not like ur denying a 5 year old candy or something...you should be able to expect the person you are putting through school to be able to follow the rules...if you cant expect them to do that then u dont need to let them be an athlete at your school...is it too hard these days for anyone to hold an athlete accountable? this is simple morals here and people want to make excuses for these guys...its the athletes fault for taking the money but the schools fault for allowing someone of questionable character on their squad...both should be punished and if the school would put up a non-tolerance attitutde towards these types of deals it would make alumni/booster less likely to try this crap and make the coaching staff look harder at character when recruiting athletes...

and to make it clear i realize we will never eliminate these types of problems, however it is very possible to make them almost non-existant in the future so that its actually shocking when an athlete accepts money, gets thrown in jail, misses court, etc....

LH Panther Mom
01-23-2009, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by sahen
these guys are 18-25 and have high school diplomas, its not like ur denying a 5 year old candy or something...you should be able to expect the person you are putting through school to be able to follow the rules...if you cant expect them to do that then u dont need to let them be an athlete at your school...
:2thumbsup :2thumbsup

Fletch
01-23-2009, 08:52 PM

LOL! You're kidding.....right?