PDA

View Full Version : NFL Player Performance

Bullaholic
01-22-2009, 03:46 PM
All of these Cowboy's player threads make me want to ask the question---In today's NFL environment, how do you guarantee that a player will play his best on every down on the field? Today's contracts give huge bonus money up front, and have pretty weak specific performance clauses. So, after you have given a promising rookie player or a "star" a big new contract and he sticks the bucks in his back pocket, what insurance do you have that he will perform up to his abilities all of the time? What recourse does a coach or owner have to even challenge a player to perform better?

BleedOrange
01-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
All of these Cowboy's player threads make me want to ask the question---In today's NFL environment, how do you guarantee that a player will play his best on every down on the field? Today's contracts give huge bonus money up front, and have pretty weak specific performance clauses. So, after you have given a promising rookie player or a "star" a big new contract and he sticks the bucks in his back pocket, what insurance do you have that he will perform up to his abilities all of the time? What recourse does a coach or owner have to even challenge a player to perform better?

You raise excellent points. These points are exactly why character matters when selecting players. This is where the Cowboys have failed miserably and is a large part of what ails them.

DDBooger
01-22-2009, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by BleedOrange
You raise excellent points. These points are exactly why character matters when selecting players. This is where the Cowboys have failed miserably and is a large part of what ails them.
Don't Irvin, Newton and Erik Williams have 3 rings? if you say they had character then I'd laugh at you! perhaps good football work ethics but if Irvin was ever implicated in a crime, you'd likely not have to dust the place for fingerprints if you know what I mean! haha

IHStangFan
01-22-2009, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
Don't Irvin, Newton and Erik Williams have 3 rings? if you say they had character then I'd laugh at you! perhaps good football work ethics but if Irvin was ever implicated in a crime, you'd likely not have to dust the place for fingerprints if you know what I mean! haha yes....difference was they had (in my mind) one of the greatest coaches ever...who was a disciplinarian, and installed it in his locker room, told the owner what was what (hence the problems and Johnson eventually leaving). The Cowboys also at that time had a true team leader in Aikman. They have none of these things on the present team.

pirate4state
01-22-2009, 03:57 PM
When discussing this very subject with family & friends I am always the one yelling ( :D ) that they (owners, yes all of them) are stupid to pay out that kind of money on draft day based on potential.

I would think that some of these contracts have clauses to protect said stupid owners, because I can guarantee you their lawyers aren't AS stupid! :D

Ranger Mom
01-22-2009, 03:58 PM
If I had a team and the WR dropped 2 passes in a row, or several in a game...I'd sit his butt on the bench and let him think about it.

Same with the QB, if he can't make the passes, or throws interceptions...sit him down.

If the running back can't do his job....put someone else in.

If the line can't block..put someone else in who can!!

Heck...if you are gonna lose anyway, you might as well lose trying something different....make all those overpaid big names actually WORK for their paycheck!!

:D

BleedOrange
01-22-2009, 03:59 PM
Don't Irvin, Newton and Erik Williams have 3 rings? if you say they had character then I'd laugh at you! perhaps good football work ethics but if Irvin was ever implicated in a crime, you'd likely not have to dust the place for fingerprints if you know what I mean! haha

That would be the exception and not the rule.

DDBooger
01-22-2009, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
yes....difference was they had (in my mind) one of the greatest coaches ever...who was a disciplinarian, and installed it in his locker room, told the owner what was what (hence the problems and Johnson eventually leaving). The Cowboys also at that time had a true team leader in Aikman. They have none of these things on the present team. Was Aikman considered a locker room favorite or REAL leader? I can't remember exactly. Sounds like if he was he'd have checked those 3 people's behavior. I'll give ya this much he wasn't as cozy with Moose and Novacek as Romo seems to be with Witten and Witten only. Then again, I don't presume to know what is going on behind Cowboy doors like most everyone here does pro or anti cowboy.

DDBooger
01-22-2009, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by BleedOrange
That would be the exception and not the rule. you sure?
research some of the past SuperBowl winners many were laden with what this board considers undesirables Raiders, Cowboys (70s), Cowboys (90s). Redskins (Manley and timmy smith). Giants (LT and I'm sure there was another)

Bullaholic
01-22-2009, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
If I had a team and the WR dropped 2 passes in a row, or several in a game...I'd sit his butt on the bench and let him think about it.

Same with the QB, if he can't make the passes, or throws interceptions...sit him down.

If the running back can't do his job....put someone else in.

If the line can't block..put someone else in who can!!

Heck...if you are gonna lose anyway, you might as well lose trying something different....make all those overpaid big names actually WORK for their paycheck!!

:D

I'm with you in sentiment, RM, and that is my point---the NFL has gotten to the state that a coach cannot bench a player because his owner cannot AFFORD to let him do it because of player's contracts. The contract is also what makes it almost impossible for a team to cut or trade a player.

IHStangFan
01-22-2009, 04:08 PM
you sure?
research some of the past SuperBowl winners many were laden with what this board considers undesirables Raiders, Cowboys (70s), Cowboys (90s). Redskins (Manley and timmy smith). Giants (LT and I'm sure there was another) thing seems to be to me that.....yes...there are "bad seeds" everywhere....difference is, Dallas' current ones are causing problems ON the field and IN the clubhouse...and they don't seem to have a coach that is able to get them focused, on the same page, and playing as a team come game day (that or his hands are tied) as some others have seemed to be able to do w/ their undesirables. Again...that's just my opinion......coming from a guy who watches sports and makes observations based on what he sees.

IHStangFan
01-22-2009, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I'm with you in sentiment, RM, and that is my point---the NFL has gotten to the state that a coach cannot bench a player because his owner cannot AFFORD to let him do it because of player's contracts. :clap: Owners undermining the coaches authority in the lockeroom....A-FRICKIN-MEN!! HUGE problem....and no exception here either. :clap:

DDBooger
01-22-2009, 04:09 PM
thing seems to be to me that.....yes...there are "bad seeds" everywhere....difference is, Dallas' current ones are causing problems ON the field and IN the clubhouse...and they don't seem to have a coach that is able to get them focused, on the same page, and playing as a team come game day (that or his hands are tied) as some others have seemed to be able to do w/ their undesirables. Again...that's just my opinion......coming from a guy who watches sports and makes observations based on what he sees. you have a pretty good point, the one thing about the teams I listed they had great coaches. :thinking:

DDBooger
01-22-2009, 04:10 PM
:clap: Owners undermining the coaches authority in the lockeroom....A-FRICKIN-MEN!! HUGE problem....and no exception here either. :clap:
AMEN

Raiders Fan :(

IHStangFan
01-22-2009, 04:12 PM
you have a pretty good point, the one thing about the teams I listed they had great coaches. :thinking: I think Dallas' coach is PART of the problem...partly because he is soft...and partly because as MOST of Dallas' coaches...his hands are a bit tied as he tends to be overridden by the owner from time to time when dishing out punishments. You either get rid of the egos....or get someone in there who can control them...including Jones.

IHStangFan
01-22-2009, 04:13 PM
AMEN

Raiders Fan :( Oh you poor bastage...so yeah...you know what I'm talkin about here then, LOL.