PDA

View Full Version : Running up the score on Dallas Academy...

JR2004
01-22-2009, 06:17 AM
You just don't do this to a team like this one. I can understand when rivals do it to each other, but this? This is pretty bad. It's cool though that the coach has a pretty upbeat attitude about the girls on the team.

Dallas Academy coach sees a win in girls' 100-0 loss

01:05 AM CST on Thursday, January 22, 2009

By BARRY HORN / The Dallas Morning News
bhorn@dallasnews.com

The final score of the high school girls basketball game was 100-0, and his team had the nothing. Still, a week later, Dallas Academy Athletic Director Jeremy Civello was chalking up the game in the win column.

"My girls never quit," he said. "They played as hard as they could to the very end. They played with all their hearts at 70-nothing, 80-nothing and 100-nothing. I was really proud of them. That's what I told them after the game."

The game took place Jan. 13, on the road, against The Covenant School. Civello didn't expect his girls to win. He never really does. His girls haven't won a game in his four seasons at the White Rock Lake-area school, renowned for its work with students with a variety of learning problems. In most games, they haven't come close.

The Bulldogs play, Civello said, for more than the final score. They play in hope of improving skills, learning teamwork and picking up whatever life lessons athletics may bring.

But they won't be playing Covenant again this season; they canceled their Jan. 30 game against the team. After the game, Dallas Academy informed the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools that it was withdrawing its girls team from the league for the rest of the season.

"We just said, 'The hell with it,' " said Jim Richardson, Dallas Academy's headmaster.

Against Covenant, Dallas Academy was surprised to see an obviously superior team keep the pressure on until it scored its 100th point in the fourth quarter. "I'm sure they could have won by 30 points and still had just as good a time," Civello said.

Civello, as is his custom, didn't say anything to anyone from the opposing school after the game. He always allows for a cooling-down period. A week later, he has not been in contact with anyone from Covenant.

In a brief e-mail statement Wednesday evening, Covenant coach Micah Grimes called his team's 100-point total "unfortunate."

"It just happened, and we are not happy about that," Grimes wrote. "Please know Covenant intended no harm against them. I see this as a real learning opportunity, so we can prevent this from happening in the future."

Grimes was not available for further comment.

Kyle Queal, head of school at Covenant, a North Dallas Christian school, was not at the game, but he said there have been internal discussions about it and that more are coming.

"It was poor judgment," Queal said. "I look at the box score and look at the box score, and it was not justified. It will never happen again."

Queal said he hopes his school will work "behind the scenes" with Dallas Academy to make sure the schools continue their "long-standing" relationship.

"I'll say this," Queal said of the Dallas Academy girls, "that was an amazing testimony to their tenacity and perseverance."

Edd Burleson, director of 236-member TAPPS, had a different description. He called the Class 2A, District 3 game an "embarrassing incident."

"Our motto is 'Competition With Honor,' " Burleson said. "I can't see how the one school can live up to that."

The box score that the Covenant head of school has been staring at reveals that his team scored 35 points in the first quarter before building a 59-0 lead at the half. The score after three quarters was 88-0.

"They are really good," Civello said. "Their point guard is terrific. This is what it came down to in the second half: steal at half court and layup. Steal and layup. Steal and layup. It was a layup drill. They finally eased up when they got to 100 with about four minutes left." Covenant's point guard had 48 points.

The school, which has final exams this week, played its final TAPPS game of the season Thursday night. The Bulldogs lost, 41-8, to Cambridge School of Dallas.

Cambridge Athletic Director Luke Yarbrough, the TAPPS district president, said he hired his basketball coach with the understanding "that it is possible to beat a team without attempting to demoralize it."

He said he could see the joy on the faces of the Dallas Academy girls when their team scored its points. He enjoyed the view. "I was so happy for those girls," he said.

Yarbrough said the 100-0 game will be among the first orders of business discussed when the district athletic directors meet next month.

Dallas Academy's Civello will be there. His school's boys team remains in the six-team TAPPS district. In fact, he was quick to point out that his boys, with a little extra motivation, beat Covenant, 50-38, immediately after the 100-0 girls game.

Then again, the boys team has about 120 students to choose from. There are about 20 girls in the high school. Some on the eight-girl team had never played before and will never play again.

"Most of these girls would never play on any other school in the state," he said. "But they can say they were high school varsity players here. And they can say it with a sense of achievement."

Later on the 100-0 night, Civello told his girls the life lesson they could take from their loss: "I told them someday they will be on top in a similar situation and they should remember how they felt when some people were cheering for a team to score a hundred points and shut us out. Hopefully, my girls all learned a lesson in sportsmanship that will last them a lifetime."

catgut
01-22-2009, 07:13 AM
All teams get excited about the prospect of scoring 100 but for a coach to keep the pressure on after they're up by a huge lead is just classless on that coaches part. For him to say that it's unfortunate and they are not happy about it shows just how little control he has. Or could it have been that he was excited about scoring a 100 and shutting the other team out at the time?

OldBison75
01-22-2009, 08:58 AM
CLASSLESS is maybe a too nice term for this. Chickensh_t is more appropriate!!!!

BUT, this kind of poop happens all the time in sports. Look at Oklahoma running up scores in football to improve poll positions. The object is winning, not demoralizing the other team. Teach kids to win with class and sportsmanship.

I have great respect for the losing teams players for sticking out the game. In most situations a group of high school kids getting destroyed like that turn ugly and fights break out. It appears that this team took the beating and continued to play with class even with losing like that. They are winners in life, even if not in the game.

kaorder1999
01-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Covenant School girls hoops team seeks forfeit of 100-0 win over Dallas Academy

02:06 PM CST on Thursday, January 22, 2009
By BARRY HORN / The Dallas Morning News
bhorn@dallasnews.com

Officials from The Covenant School visited Dallas Academy on Thursday morning to apologize for their girls basketball team's "victory without honor" in last week's 100-0 game. Meanwhile, on its school Web site, Covenant said it has made a formal request to the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools that it forfeit the game.

Dallas Academy athletic director Jeremy Civello said his school accepted the "heartfelt" apology delivered by Covenant's head of school Kyle Queal and athletic director Brice Helton. Civello said his school doesn't want the forfeit and wishes "Covenant's great girls team all the best for the rest of the season.

"We don't think what happened is a reflection on those girls in any way." Civello said. "There a lot of good people at that school. We hope this blows over."

In a TAPPS district game on Jan. 13, a far superior Covenant team kept the pressure on winless Dallas Academy until midway though the fourth quarter when it scored its 100th point. The score was 59-0 at halftime and 88-0 after three quarters. Dallas Academy is renowned for its work with students who have learning problems such as short attention spans and concentration.

When asked about the final score on Wednesday, Covenant coach Micah Grimes wrote in an e-mail to <i>The Dallas Morning News</i> that 100-0 "just happened" and called it "a real learning opportunity" which would prevent reoccurences.

Covenant officials were not immediately available for comment on Thursday.

The Web site posting signed by Queal and Todd Doshier, chairman of the board at the Christian school in North Dallas, called the 100-0 final "shameful" and an "embarrassment."

"This clearly does not reflect a Christ-like and honorable approach to competition," the post added. "We humbly apologize for our actions and seek the forgiveness of Dallas Academy, TAPPS and our community. The school and its representatives in no way support or condone the running up of a score against any team in any sport for any reason. The school's board members, Head of School Kyle Queal and Athletic Director Brice Helton have acted to ensure that such an unfortunate incident can never happen again."

Txbroadcaster
01-22-2009, 03:16 PM
If Dallas Academy is the class act they seem to be they will turn down the offer of the forfiet, because if they accept it then everything he says they learned from that loss will be out the door

JR2004
01-22-2009, 03:42 PM
While it's a very nice gesture by Covenant, it would've never come to this if their coach would've done things differently when the game was actually played.

pirate4state
01-22-2009, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
If Dallas Academy is the class act they seem to be they will turn down the offer of the forfiet, because if they accept it then everything he says they learned from that loss will be out the door

Civello said his school doesn't want the forfeit and wishes "Covenant's great girls team all the best for the rest of the season.

^^ Good, I hope he sticks with his guns and doesn't accept the forfeit.

That's just ridiculous.

Sweetwater Red
01-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Civello said his school doesn't want the forfeit and wishes "Covenant's great girls team all the best for the rest of the season.

^^ Good, I hope he sticks with his guns and doesn't accept the forfeit.

That's just ridiculous.

Hey p4s. Do you remember that loud and rowdy bunch that
came in the restaurant and sat at the table next to us when we
were in Waco? Weren't they from Dallas Academy?:thinking:

Ranger Mom
01-22-2009, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

I thought they HAD turned it down!!

Originally posted by kaorder1999

"

pirate4state
01-22-2009, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Hey p4s. Do you remember that loud and rowdy bunch that
came in the restaurant and sat at the table next to us when we
were in Waco? Weren't they from Dallas Academy?:thinking:

:thinking: I don't remember. :( It was a private school though, that much I do remember. Maybe DaHop remembers.