PDA

View Full Version : What makes a "fan?"

Ranger Mom
01-21-2009, 10:44 PM
I just read something that IHStangFan wrote and it made me wonder:

Originally posted by IHStangFan
Take for example the Houston Texans...who I'm trying hard to become a fan of since I live here.

I was born and raised a Cowboys fan and can't imagine changing my allegiance to another team because I happen to live there.

When I lived in California back in 1988...I think that was the year the Cowboys went 3-13, I was still a proud Cowboys fan.

I'm just glad I don't have to try and become a fan!!:D

Emerson1
01-21-2009, 10:48 PM
I think something like that for me would have to happen over time. I couldn't just say I am a fan now. I think it would take years and years

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-21-2009, 10:56 PM
Straight up, T-shirts make a fan.

Ranger Mom
01-21-2009, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
Straight up, T-shirts make a fan.

I disagree...I AM a Dallas Cowboys fan!!

T-Shirt or not!!

IHStangFan
01-21-2009, 11:38 PM
I guess this should have been asked directly to me instead of a thread being posted....but I'm happy to explain. I was born and raised a Cowboys fan myself. Over the years I watched Jones put together and then destroy one of the best teams ever fielded. This made me sick to my stomach...and as I continued to watch...he made dumb decision after dumb decision (in my book....only an opinion...but then again..I'm opinionated)...until I finally just lost interest in what he/The Cowboys were doing. About that time....I'm stationed at Ft. Bragg, NC and making weekend trips to Knoxville to watch a QB by the name of Peyton Manning play at U of T. From there I became a huge fan of his. Still even have my old U of T "Manning" jersey. When he went to the Colts...so did I. Here was a guy who, in my mind was a real student of the game. He wasn't overly gifted physically...especially his feet, but where he made up for it was his dedication to his job and the game. I was hooked. Fast forward several years. I now live in Houston, and find myself interested in the "local team"....I watch them, I cheer for them. When they play the Colts...I'm a bit torn and twisted and really just hope for Manning to have a good game and no injuries as I "like" the Texans and feel some sort of allegiance to the "local team" but yet...still find myself cheering for the Colts ....or Manning somewhat. It's basically the same thing w/ my HS teams....I grew up in Ingleside....but really have no ties there any longer and haven't most of my adult life. Do I still cheer for Ingleside? Sure...but I now life in and raise my family in Needville...so if Ingleside ever met Needville in the playoffs.....am I obligated to cheer for Ingleside because I went to school there or because "that's where I'm from"? I don't think so. I'd cheer Needville on all the way. I hope that helps RM.

IHStangFan
01-21-2009, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
Straight up, T-shirts make a fan. I've always been curious about this term, and what it means. Can you explain this to me? Some fans are NOT t-shirt fans? Would a non-t-shirt fan be a fan that for whatever reason cannot afford a t-shirt to show his support for his team? That would be sad...guess these are the guys who paint themselves and whatnot? Perhaps he's a suit and tie guy and doesn't do t-shirts? A hat guy? Maybe I'm missing what this means.

Cameron Crazy
01-22-2009, 12:15 AM
my username says it all. :D

And did I mention, we #1 now!!!

Txbroadcaster
01-22-2009, 12:23 AM
I dont believe in ""rules to be a fan"

I have always been a UT, Dallas Cowboys, Texas Rangers fan

grew up watching the Lakers in the NBa, but in 93 moved to Dallas and started watching the Mavs more( oh man they were BAD)

But I dont begrudge anyone who wants to jump from team to team and I think people that label them t-shirt or bandwagon fan are worse for worrying about who someone else roots for

IHStangFan
01-22-2009, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

grew up watching the Lakers in the NBa, but in 93 moved to Dallas and started watching the Mavs more( oh man they were BAD)

But I dont begrudge anyone who wants to jump from team to team and I think people that label them t-shirt or bandwagon fan are worse for worrying about who someone else roots for Well said! I for one have lived all over the planet...and sometimes you find yourself watching a certain team because....that's what you can get on the tube. After awhile, you can't help but cheer for said team. When I lived in AZ, I found myself liking to watch Arizona State. They always made it interesting against USC...and that was enough for me to pay attention.

Txbroadcaster
01-22-2009, 12:32 AM
Well said! I for one have lived all over the planet...and sometimes you find yourself watching a certain team because....that's what you can get on the tube. After awhile, you can't help but cheer for said team. When I lived in AZ, I found myself liking to watch Arizona State. They always made it interesting against USC...and that was enough for me to pay attention.

kinda funny u mention the Devils

When I was in 8th grade I rode with my Dad( truck driver) to Cali

Well on the way we stopped for night in Zona and we had a small TV, the Zona vs State game was on and I started rooting for the Devils and ever since then I follow them from afar( except when they played UT last year)

IHStangFan
01-22-2009, 12:37 AM
kinda funny u mention the Devils

When I was in 8th grade I rode with my Dad( truck driver) to Cali

Well on the way we stopped for night in Zona and we had a small TV, the Zona vs State game was on and I started rooting for the Devils and ever since then I follow them from afar( except when they played UT last year) LOL...yup...pretty much the same thing here. I had JUST bought my house and got my tv/sat set up. Got up one Sat. morning and was flippin channels....and State -vs- USC was on....I thought "ah what the hell" and kinda started piddling around the house moving furniture and whatnot....I walked in from time to time to take a look...and then I realize that State is actually UP...and that the game is very close. I sat down and watched! From then on I'm the same way...I follow them. Not "my team" per say...but like to see them do well in the Pac 10. Even have me an old dusty "Sun Devils" hat I bought a handful of years ago while I lived there to ruffle the feathers of a co-worker who was a graduate from that OTHER school in Tucson. LOL.

Keith7
01-22-2009, 02:30 AM
Just examining "fans" on this board, you just have to pick the most successful team in the state you live / lived in and you can be their "fan"

g$$
01-22-2009, 02:45 AM

But I dont begrudge anyone who wants to jump from team to team and I think people that label them t-shirt or bandwagon fan are worse for worrying about who someone else roots for

Sad. That is all. Did you attend college anywhere? Do you have a true allegiance?

Pro is different. College is sacred. Otherwise, nothing but a wannabe.

I_Do_Care
01-22-2009, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Sad. That is all. Did you attend college anywhere? Do you have a true allegiance?

Pro is different. College is sacred. Otherwise, nothing but a wannabe. PURE SCRIPTURE!!!
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a19/freeTheInternet/Smiley/Small/smiley-worship.gif

Pick6
01-22-2009, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by I_Do_Care
PURE SCRIPTURE!!!
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a19/freeTheInternet/Smiley/Small/smiley-worship.gif

More like PURE IDIOCRACY!!!

Txbroadcaster
01-22-2009, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by g$$

Pro is different. College is sacred. Otherwise, nothing but a wannabe.

Yes I went to college somewhere..what is your point?

hahaha wannabe..real nice

Farmersfan
01-22-2009, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Pick6
More like PURE IDIOCRACY!!!

I have to agree. I work with many, many people who went to either UT, OU or A&M and the rivalrys are nonstop in the work place. Several have their offices decorated with crap from their collage team. I guestioned this logic with them and got nothing but illogical answers. My point was that most of them went to a elementary school, middle school and high school program for 12 years and even played on the teams while attending these schools and they show little or no partiality to those teams. They then go to one of the Universities for a max of 4 years and are as removed from the actual team as they can be yet they carry a lifelong die-hard allegiance for that team. It makes no sense at all. How is it that a young person can pay thousands of dollars to go to school in ...............Say biology, gets a die-hard connection to a sports team that would not ever in a 1000 years even know of his/her existance?
Because of free agency in the Pros, I don't think there are very many "REAL" fans left. How can you honestly support players who come and go every couple of years?

Dieselsmoke
01-22-2009, 09:05 AM
I've just about given up on the pros, remember when you were a kid and had every player on "your" team memorized and knew most of the players on the other teams. Now it's here today and gone $$$ tomorrow! I had followed the Cowboys for years and still do (very little) I know Romo and T.O are on the team but couldn't tell you many more players names or recognize them if we passed on the street. Just not the same...

BILLYFRED0000
01-22-2009, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I just read something that IHStangFan wrote and it made me wonder:

I was born and raised a Cowboys fan and can't imagine changing my allegiance to another team because I happen to live there.

When I lived in California back in 1988...I think that was the year the Cowboys went 3-13, I was still a proud Cowboys fan.

I'm just glad I don't have to try and become a fan!!:D

Fan: A multi bladed object with an electrical motor for the purposes of moving air.

I suppose you must be manufactured.

BwdLions
01-22-2009, 10:11 AM
I hear all the time that if you didn't go to a college, then you can't be a "true fan." That's hog-wash. I didn't go to Texas but I've rooted for them since I started watching college sports 34 years ago. I have no problem telling people I'm a die-hard Texas Longhorn fan. A true fan is someone that roots for a team through good times and bad times. It's all about loyalty.

pancho villa
01-22-2009, 10:24 AM
I am the greatest fan of whoever is playing the Cowboys. I even root for them Yankee teams when they play the Cowgirls!

Farmersfan
01-22-2009, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by pancho villa
I am the greatest fan of whoever is playing the Cowboys. I even root for them Yankee teams when they play the Cowgirls!

You know, They do make medication for that!!!!!!!

IHStangFan
01-22-2009, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by BwdLions
I hear all the time that if you didn't go to a college, then you can't be a "true fan." That's hog-wash. I didn't go to Texas but I've rooted for them since I started watching college sports 34 years ago. I have no problem telling people I'm a die-hard Texas Longhorn fan. A true fan is someone that roots for a team through good times and bad times. It's all about loyalty. I agree....that is the stupidest crap I've ever heard and everytime I hear someone spout it I want to bust their head open for them. Some of us weren't born w/ a silver spoon in our mouths....didn't get to attend some big exclusive university. I for one..while my "better off" friends were going to college being "true fans" was in the US Army serving my country. "Oh well you should be an Army fan then" I have never even been to West Point, nor do I have ANY ties to it other than..."yeah..that's where the guys who can play football "serve their country". SO....I'm pretty sure that just because I didn't attend a certain university ...does not mean I cannot be a true fan. I never hear them bitch when I purchase tickets, memorabilia, etc. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Bullaholic
01-22-2009, 10:49 AM
These are my understandings of these terms:

fan- One who supports any sports team/teams with their attendance and/or tv viewing, wearing of team logos, for 1 game, or over several year's seasons and has changed teams from time-to-time for varied reasons such as locale change. Some choose to call this type of fan, a T-shirt fan.

true fan- One who has supported the same team or teams with their attendance and/or viewing, wearing of team logos, for multiple seasons regardless of W-L records or their location. A season ticket holder of any team would be considered a true fan.

I think one can choose to be either without having to endure any criticism. Answering the question of who is the "better" or "bigger" fan is like trying to determine who is a better Christian.

pirate4state
01-22-2009, 10:54 AM
i'll support who I want, when i want and if some people don't like it...OH WELL

Bullaholic
01-22-2009, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
i'll support who I want, when i want and if some people don't like it...OH WELL

That the trouble with you, P4S---we never know how you feel. :D

ronwx5x
01-22-2009, 11:13 AM
With a sig like mine, I just have to comment on the drift of this thread. I do not live in a 3A town, nor did I attend school in a 3A town. I now live in an area with 3 5A teams and have never attended one of the local teams' games.

I have always enjoyed high school football on the smaller school level as it seems to me to be played more as an enjoyment than the game played by larger schools. Another thing is that there is almost always only one high school in a 3A town, so the whole fan base is directed toward that one team. People in small towns take great pride in "their" team, win or lose.

Since I have no allegiance to any one team, I feel able to go watch whichever team I want. I almost always have a favorite in a given match, however I don't really have one team or town that I follow exclusively. Giddings is not too far, about an hour and a half, so I've been to a number of their games. Same for Navasota, about an hour away. My daughter and her husband live in the DFW area, so I've been to several Celina games. I saw WOS/Caldwell last year because it was played in our new stadium here. I saw WOS/Gilmer in Lufkin because it was not too far and a really good game.

When it comes to the playoffs, I go see whoever appeals to me and is within a reasonable driving distance. I've seen some really good games, enjoyed the fans, and not felt too bad no matter who wins.

So am I a true T-shirt or bandwagon fan? While I do have some favorites, I'm not a fanatic and don't own even one T-shirt from any high school. I just like 3A football and if some people count me as someone who should not be allowed to be a fan, that's OK, because I will be anyway.

This all comes down to my being a fan of 3A football, not a fan of a particular team. I almost always have a favorite, but I can avoid being too disappointed no matter who wins.

Ranger Mom
01-22-2009, 11:38 AM
I guess this should have been asked directly to me instead of a thread being posted....but I'm happy to explain.

While I respect your opinion...your opinion is not the only one I wanted to hear!!

THAT is why I quoted you and opened the question to everyone!!:D

I still consider myself a TRUE Cowboys fan....and like g$$, all the criticism in the world won't change my mind!:)

ronwx5x
01-22-2009, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
While I respect your opinion...your opinion is not the only one I wanted to hear!!

THAT is why I quoted you and opened the question to everyone!!:D

I still consider myself a TRUE Cowboys fan....and like g$$, all the criticism in the world won't change my mind!:)

But, unlike g$$, you haven't called anyone out. And unlike Emerson, you don't throw insults. At least not lately!

:)

Ranger Mom
01-22-2009, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
But, unlike g$$, you haven't called anyone out. And unlike Emerson, you don't throw insults. At least not lately!

With that bunch, what's the point?? :doh: I'm not going to change anyone's mind, just like no one is going to change my mind!!

I rarely agree with anything g$$ says....as far as I am concerned 95% of his posts on the Cowboys are just his opinion anyway!!

I can't change his opinion and he WON'T change mind!!

No sense in calling him out or insulting him....that's just childish!!:D

SintonFan_inAustin
01-22-2009, 02:41 PM
I've always been curious about this term, and what it means. Can you explain this to me? Some fans are NOT t-shirt fans? Would a non-t-shirt fan be a fan that for whatever reason cannot afford a t-shirt to show his support for his team? That would be sad...guess these are the guys who paint themselves and whatnot? Perhaps he's a suit and tie guy and doesn't do t-shirts? A hat guy? Maybe I'm missing what this means. A non T shirt fan
http://sportsnationblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/crazy-fan-at-raiders-game-737513.jpg

IHStangFan
01-22-2009, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
A non T shirt fan
http://sportsnationblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/crazy-fan-at-raiders-game-737513.jpg LMAO!!! That made me laugh so hard. Thank you.

Emerson1

But insulting gets me loyal followers like you who will post in my threads no matter what the topic!

Ranger Mom
http://sportsnationblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/crazy-fan-at-raiders-game-737513.jpg

Something about that guy reminds me of STANG RED!!:p

ronwx5x
01-22-2009, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
But insulting gets me loyal followers like you who will post in my threads no matter what the topic!

Not necessarily true, although I do enjoy taking a dig at you every now and then. You just tend to go hide when someone REALLY gets after you!

Txbroadcaster
01-22-2009, 02:52 PM

Problem is they are just bandwagon fans..they dont TRULY support you

DDBooger
01-22-2009, 03:06 PM
Not necessarily true, although I do enjoy taking a dig at you every now and then. You just tend to go hide when someone REALLY gets after you! didn't you talk a big game after the Tech-Texas game and following the Tech-OU game you just fell off the earth until Texas was down to Ohio St? or was that Eagle 1 who blasted off once Texas regained the lead? lol

ronwx5x
01-22-2009, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
didn't you talk a big game after the Tech-Texas game and following the Tech-OU game you just fell off the earth until Texas was down to Ohio St? or was that Eagle 1 who blasted off once Texas regained the lead? lol

For certain not me. I know better than to ever let my mouth run off about Tech! I have many years experience of knowing that the Raiders will be exposed at some point in EVERY season.
:eek:

DDBooger
01-22-2009, 04:20 PM
For certain not me. I know better than to ever let my mouth run off about Tech! I have many years experience of knowing that the Raiders will be exposed at some point in EVERY season.
:eek: yeah, it wasn't you. I figured it out! :) my apologies! :)

sinfan75
01-22-2009, 10:49 PM
Little restuarant here in Sinton we eat breakfast at has Cowboy stuff all over the walls. I think you could call them Fans of the Cowboys.

Emerson1
01-22-2009, 11:20 PM
You just tend to go hide when someone REALLY gets after you!
Nah. I tend to say whatever is on my mind and only hold back because 3afan post here and I can't risk our IP getting banned.

IHStangFan
01-22-2009, 11:37 PM
Nah. I tend to say whatever is on my mind and only hold back because 3afan post here and I can't risk our IP getting banned. ah.....just go to static IPs on your pc, router/modem, etc. and change up the scheme. :D

Emerson1
01-22-2009, 11:39 PM
ah.....just go to static IPs on your pc, router/modem, etc. and change up the scheme. :D
I'm not that smart yet

OldBison75
01-22-2009, 11:45 PM
I have watched and cheered for the Cowboys since elemenary school and loved Don Merideth and Bob Hays, Mel Renfro, Bob Lilly, etc. I have stayed with them all these years and the addition of the Texas has not changed that--although I do hope they get better. For college my two favorite teams are The University of Texas and anybody playing A & M. The days of the wishbone are long gone, but that is my team. In the high school ranks, I have missed maybe 10 games in the last 20 years that involved the local high school team. I root for them whether they win or lose.

A real fan is loyal to thier favorite no matter what happens. It give us the right to cheer loud, brag alot, and even cuss the hell out of them when needed. If they want my support, they have to put up with my criticism too.

I don't waffle on who I cheer for, I may hate what is happening on the field or in the clubhouse, but I still cheer for them every week they play.

As for baseball, I was blessed to have a grandfather that started carrying me to Astros games in the 1970's and I have been a fan ever since. I remember him calling Jim Wynn "pop-up Jimmy". Larry Dierker was his hero as a player, and Bob Aspermonte was a solid performer that he never griped at. He had a love hate opinion of Rusty Staub. I even remember seeing the famous future Cincinati Reds star, Joe Morgan, playing second base for the Stros.

Farmersfan
01-23-2009, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by OldBison75
I have watched and cheered for the Cowboys since elemenary school and loved Don Merideth and Bob Hays, Mel Renfro, Bob Lilly, etc. I have stayed with them all these years and the addition of the Texas has not changed that--although I do hope they get better. For college my two favorite teams are The University of Texas and anybody playing A & M. The days of the wishbone are long gone, but that is my team. In the high school ranks, I have missed maybe 10 games in the last 20 years that involved the local high school team. I root for them whether they win or lose.

A real fan is loyal to thier favorite no matter what happens. It give us the right to cheer loud, brag alot, and even cuss the hell out of them when needed. If they want my support, they have to put up with my criticism too.

I don't waffle on who I cheer for, I may hate what is happening on the field or in the clubhouse, but I still cheer for them every week they play.

As for baseball, I was blessed to have a grandfather that started carrying me to Astros games in the 1970's and I have been a fan ever since. I remember him calling Jim Wynn "pop-up Jimmy". Larry Dierker was his hero as a player, and Bob Aspermonte was a solid performer that he never griped at. He had a love hate opinion of Rusty Staub. I even remember seeing the famous future Cincinati Reds star, Joe Morgan, playing second base for the Stros.

Possibly the post of the day! A "real fan" not only has a right to criticise his team but he has a responsibility to. I try not to raise too much cain about the off-field (legal) things that goes on because sometimes a quality player will make bad choices. I would much rather have a bad character who plays lights-out ball than a moral upstanding boyscout that can't get it done. After-all this is a game that requires that someone actually WINS and people don't watch their teams and hope for a loss............

pancho villa
01-23-2009, 11:03 AM
Do you know why Dallas Cowboys kids don't act right at school?

LH Panther Mom
01-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
I would much rather have a bad character who plays lights-out ball than a moral upstanding boyscout that can't get it done. After-all this is a game that requires that someone actually WINS and people don't watch their teams and hope for a loss............
And what happens when your bad boy gets locked up or suspended? :thinking:

pirate4state
01-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
And what happens when your bad boy gets locked up or suspended? :thinking: Uh he doesn't play and you go pick up another felon, I mean they are everywhere or hadn't you heard?

Farmersfan
01-23-2009, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
And what happens when your bad boy gets locked up or suspended? :thinking:

The team loses and his antics no longer become acceptable because it effected the play on the field. Hypothetically I would prefer a team of great individual people that have the ability to win. But realistically, it doesn't really matter what they do off the field. I don't expect the mgr. of my Brookshires to be a sqeaky clean person or the receptionist at the local concrete plant to have a spotless record. What they do off the job doesn't have a bearing on what they do on the job. But because we have allowed society to dictate that these people are role-models for our children we feel we have a right to expect standards from them as people and not just athletes. Not a single one of us would stand for our neighbor coming over and telling us that we don't behave like HE thinks we should. But we expect our pro athletes to put up with it........
Americans in general are a bunch of ridiculous, judgmental idiots that think they have a entitlement to be better than others. (Well, not all of us but most):D :D :D :D :D

LH Panther Mom
01-23-2009, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Uh he doesn't play and you go pick up another felon, I mean they are everywhere or hadn't you heard?
:doh: :doh: :doh: Oh, yeah!!!!!!!!! Duh! :p

Txbroadcaster
01-23-2009, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan

Americans in general are a bunch of ridiculous, judgmental idiots that think they have a entitlement to be better than others. (Well, not all of us but most):D :D :D :D :D

Kinda like you judge that Tony Rmo does not care about winning and such? :D

;)

Farmersfan
01-23-2009, 04:51 PM
Kinda like you judge that Tony Rmo does not care about winning and such? :D

;)

I judged him based on what he said. It's his own words..... And you forget that I am entitled!!!!!!!!!!!!