PDA

View Full Version : Can Carthage and Prosper Repeat?

Bullaholic
01-21-2009, 01:40 PM
What are the chances of Carthage and Prosper repeating as 3A Division state champs in 09'? How many of this year's players will go on to play in college?

lostaussie
01-21-2009, 01:43 PM
Carthage can't.............they will have to deal with Stump and no Dwight Smith.

Bullaholic
01-21-2009, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
Carthage can't.............they will have to deal with Stump and no Dwight Smith.

I though Carthage had a whole "stable" of "horses" ready to go next year, aussie.

Rocket Dad
01-21-2009, 02:26 PM
If the coaching staff at Carthage stays the same, they now have an edge over Gilmer and other E. Texas playoff regulars. They do some serious coaching at Bulldog land.

pirate4state
01-21-2009, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Rocket Dad
If the coaching staff at Carthage stays the same, they now have an edge over Gilmer and other E. Texas playoff regulars. They do some serious coaching at Bulldog land.

How do they have an edge?? :confused:

lostaussie
01-21-2009, 03:09 PM
simple...........Gilmer is a zoo and Carthage only used to be a zoo:D

Bullaholic
01-21-2009, 03:19 PM
Good coaches + outstanding athletes= state title
Good coaches + good athletes = deep playoffs
Good coaches + avg athletes= make playoffs

No matter which school, IMO....

Electus Unus
01-21-2009, 03:24 PM
Carthage returns 4 of 5 on the offensive line so I don't think they will need a great RB like Dwight but a consistent tough nose guy who can get the yards. I think they have the best chance to repeat if they can get out of the region. Prosper on the other hand will likely not repeat.

BwdLions
01-21-2009, 03:46 PM
Yes, I think both of these schools could repeat. With that being said, it's a tough act to follow. I sure wouldn't put any money on it.

Rabid Cougar
01-21-2009, 09:14 PM
Everything has to fall just right just to make it once. For everything to fall right a second year is a tall order.

trojan37
01-21-2009, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
Everything has to fall just right just to make it once. For everything to fall right a second year is a tall order.

So what is it when SLC, Celina and I believe Sealy have 3 peated? Luck??? I don't things have to "fall right." Coaches, athletes and tradition are what I thought would usually make a repeat champion. :thinking:

Rabid Cougar
01-22-2009, 08:38 AM
Yes those schools who have had good runs had things to fall just right. There is always a play here or there, bracket drawings that fell just right, Regions that they play in, something that a coach can point to. Even the chemistry of the players on those team. Coaches and and players have a big part but "luck" does have a part.

Tradition doesn't win football games or championships. In High school football ..........coaching is 90% of the formula.

BILLYFRED0000
01-22-2009, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie

I agree. Without smith they would not have won this year. Good QB but not a world beater. But that back woo wee he is the real deal. Prosper graduates a bunch. Hunter will be gone and he is hard to replace. But Prosper can reload some. Primetime seems to be helping some with the program and his boys are sure talented.

BILLYFRED0000
01-22-2009, 08:49 AM
Yes those schools who have had good runs had things to fall just right. There is always a play here or there, bracket drawings that fell just right, Regions that they play in, something that a coach can point to. Even the chemistry of the players on those team. Coaches and and players have a big part but "luck" does have a part.

Tradition doesn't win football games or championships. In High school football ..........coaching is 90% of the formula.

Well you are right and wrong. Tradition is part of the formula and we can attest that in Celina. The boys simply expect to win based on what they have seen since they (in many cases) were in first grade. Coaching has a lot to do with it. And is the cornerstone. But winning over a long period of time(and the Celina program has had winners over 50 years) has to have something besides coaching. Now to win at the top like the last 14 years in Celina is unparalleled. Katy has come close to that and so has SLC. Coaching has much to do with it. But so does belief. And belief comes from the tradition of excellence and winning established by those that have gone before.

Let me put it another way. We expect to win. And that plays a huge part. For example, we have a youth football league from first to 6th grade. This league this year had 5 divisions with at least 8 teams from Sanger to Van Alstyne and Bonham in each division. Celina won every division and were undefeated in most. How do you account for that? Do we have supernatural athletes or some other issue? I submit that these boys are well coached and because the coaches expect them to play at the top of their game
they do. And they also expect to be the best. Tradition.

trojan37
01-22-2009, 09:44 AM

So when you lost to Celina in 07 in the title game they were lucky. Right,right,................gotcha!:thumbsup:

Electus Unus
01-22-2009, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by trojan37
So when you lost to Celina in 07 in the title game they were lucky. Right,right,................gotcha!:thumbsup: I don't think he is saying that at all and I think some of you are misunderstanding what he is saying. Every player and coach can look back on a season and remember a play that propelled them into the position they got whether it is the playoffs, area round, semi-finals, or the state championship game.