PDA

View Full Version : Another Brownwood coach leaving?

wildstangs
01-20-2009, 08:35 PM
A Brownwood basketball coach was on Monday placed on paid administrative leave while school district officials investigate allegations that the coach attacked a student player, said Reece Blincoe, superintendent of the Brownwood school district.

With statements from witnesses, other basketball players and coaches, the investigation is nearly complete, Blincoe said. The investigation is expected to be completed by Friday and officials will meet with the coach.

He did not identify the coach because “it is a personnel matter,” but said the coach was an assistant.

The incident occurred after a Friday basketball game against Wylie in Abilene, where the Bulldogs beat the Lions 49-38 in both teams’ District 2-3A opener in Abilene.

Blincoe said the player was not on the varsity team and believed him to be a freshman or sophomore.

Phone calls seeking comment from Brownwood High School principal Bill Faircloth, who is handling the bulk of the investigation, were not immediately returned, nor were repeated phone calls to head basketball coach Shane Perkins returned. When contacted, the coach accused of attacking the student said he had no comment.

BwdLions
01-21-2009, 11:12 AM
I don't know the story here but I know it must get hard sometimes for coaches to contain themselves the way a lot of kids act these days. That's the reason I went the business route instead of coaching.

DDBooger
01-21-2009, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by BwdLions
I don't know the story here but I know it must get hard sometimes for coaches to contain themselves the way a lot of kids act these days. That's the reason I went the business route instead of coaching. kids act like this these days cause as Bernie Mac used to say, they have some punk___ parents. working with at risk kids was easy, it's the spoiled ones that get on my nerves lol. My parents provided everything I needed and more, but you bet they had expectations of me.

GreenMonster
01-21-2009, 11:59 AM
Had some parents get mad at us last night and told us, "You are violating UIL rules because you aren't doing enough to keep these kids from partying on the weekend!" My reply, "I don't get paid to be a parent, that's your job. If I get confirmation of any illegal activities I'll hammer their tail. Until then it's out of my hands." It's kind of getting commical. These people refuse to discipline their own kids and then get mad at us for not doing it for them. Pathetic. :(

cshscougar08
01-21-2009, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Had some parents get mad at us last night and told us, "You are violating UIL rules because you aren't doing enough to keep these kids from partying on the weekend!" My reply, "I don't get paid to be a parent, that's your job. If I get confirmation of any illegal activities I'll hammer their tail. Until then it's out of my hands." It's kind of getting commical. These people refuse to discipline their own kids and then get mad at us for not doing it for them. Pathetic. :(

You're right that is pathetic. Just sheer laziness on their part. I am so thankful that I have parents that KNEW it was their responsibility to raise me in a good manner and they did their job with flying colors! Good parenting is something that you can ALWAYS be thankful for for the rest of your life.

Mace Griffin
01-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
. I am so thankful that I have parents that KNEW it was their responsibility to raise me in a good manner and they did their job with flying colors! . Some may argue that last part. :D lol jk man

DDBooger
01-21-2009, 12:17 PM
Had some parents get mad at us last night and told us, "You are violating UIL rules because you aren't doing enough to keep these kids from partying on the weekend!" My reply, "I don't get paid to be a parent, that's your job. If I get confirmation of any illegal activities I'll hammer their tail. Until then it's out of my hands." It's kind of getting commical. These people refuse to discipline their own kids and then get mad at us for not doing it for them. Pathetic. :( even good kids get out of line. after our parents were done with us, we'd arrive to athletics period and find out we had a full hour of air raids, log rolls and traffic checks(running about 400 yards with two 45 lb plates in each hand to FM 624 and back to the field house :D and if time, the dying cockroaches. Holding 25lb plate in front of you while leaning against the wall knees bent, like driving a car w/o the seat haha. THOSE sucked.

BwdLions
01-21-2009, 02:05 PM
Yes, I agree that the problem starts with the parents. I guess it's not the generation of kids in the past 20 years that's led to the problem, it's the generation of parenting over that time span that's led to the trouble. So many kids don't have respect for other people (that includes all classes and races of kids).

Sweetwater Red
01-21-2009, 02:28 PM
So many kids don't have respect for other people (that includes all classes and races of kids).

I agree with this statement 100%. It's a damn shame when a
teenager bumps into at a store and says "I'm sorry sir" and you
are surprised by his response.:dispntd:

cshscougar08
01-21-2009, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Mace Griffin
Some may argue that last part. :D lol jk man

Hey now! :mad:

;)

IHStangFan
01-21-2009, 05:23 PM
Had some parents get mad at us last night and told us, "You are violating UIL rules because you aren't doing enough to keep these kids from partying on the weekend!" My reply, "I don't get paid to be a parent, that's your job. If I get confirmation of any illegal activities I'll hammer their tail. Until then it's out of my hands." It's kind of getting commical. These people refuse to discipline their own kids and then get mad at us for not doing it for them. Pathetic. :( You hit the nail on the head buddy!! Amen! Then if you DO discipline their brat...they have a problem w/ that too. A few years back a friend and I were in a grocery store in Naco, AZ. His daughter was with us who was about 4 at the time. My friend makes not bones about whipping his kids when they act up. She started pitching a fit and he swatted her butt and she instantly got her act in order. A lady down the isle who's 3 little monsters were knocking things off the shelf, running around, yelling, etc. had the nerve to come down the isle and tell my friend "I should report you to CPS...you shouldn't hit your children"....to which my friend...without missing a beat looks up and says "Lady, by the looks of it, you don't spank your little animals enough, they're behavior in public is unacceptable so what makes you think you're qualified to tell me how to raise my kids?" Her and I both did one of these.... :eek: she just stood there, I made tracks in the opposite direction trying to contain my laughter...my friend continued to shop.

STANG RED
01-21-2009, 06:11 PM

We all have to pass tests to move on in school, we have to pass tests to get out of school, we have to pass tests to get into college, have to pass tests in our career fields of choice, but you can be the most worthless, under achieving, lowlife piece of crap person in the world and have as many kids as you can push out of a whore hole and be called a parent. No wonder there are so many screwed up kids out there with no respect for anything. Just look at their examples. Then there are those super spoiled ones whos parents give into their every want and whim, yet wonder why their kids turn out to be such useless little turds. One is just as "Pathetic" as the other. Lots of sorry parents out there, raising lots of sorry kids. And all the rest of us end up paying for it, one way or another.

slingshot
01-21-2009, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
We all have to pass tests to move on in school, we have to pass tests to get out of school, we have to pass tests to get into college, have to pass tests in our career fields of choice, but you can be the most worthless, under achieving, lowlife piece of crap person in the world and have as many kids as you can push out of a whore hole and be called a parent. No wonder there are so many screwed up kids out there with no respect for anything. Just look at their examples. Then there are those super spoiled ones whos parents give into their every want and whim, yet wonder why their kids turn out to be such useless little turds. One is just as "Pathetic" as the other. Lots of sorry parents out there, raising lots of sorry kids. And all the rest of us end up paying for it, one way or another. Don't hold back Red--tell us how you really feel!!!

BEAST
01-21-2009, 08:35 PM
Just curious, who decided that the kid in question fits the mold all of you are ranting about. I do agree with what most of you are saying about how kids are raised. I have three boys, and they are no stranger to a good old fashion arse whoopin. However, what gives a grown man the right to hit a 14 - 15 year old kid in the face repeatedly?

BEAST

Looking4number8
01-21-2009, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
Just curious, who decided that the kid in question fits the mold all of you are ranting about. I do agree with what most of you are saying about how kids are raised. I have three boys, and they are no stranger to a good old fashion arse whoopin. However, what gives a grown man the right to hit a 14 - 15 year old kid in the face repeatedly?

BEAST

Actualy Beast, I think this is the first I have heard of "hit a 14-15 year old kid in the face repeatedly". That does tend to change things a bit, at least in my eyes.

Ranger Mom
01-21-2009, 11:03 PM

BEAST

So...we aren't hearing the whole story??

IHStangFan
01-21-2009, 11:52 PM

BEAST nobody that I've seen....I think most had kinda drifted off topic a little and were discussing today's youth and their lack of discipline due to their parent's lack of responsibility when it comes to raising their children.

But you are right...nothing gives a grown man the right to hit a kid in the face repeatedly....especially over a loss in a HS basketball game as this would appear.

BwdLions
01-22-2009, 10:18 AM
I helped get this thread off topic. It just got me to thinking about some of the problems with lack of respect and discipline (and why I went with a different career choice instead of coaching). It had nothing to do with what actually might have happened in this case.

TinyTim
01-22-2009, 10:35 AM
I helped get this thread off topic. It just got me to thinking about some of the problems with lack of respect and discipline (and why I went with a different career choice instead of coaching). It had nothing to do with what actually might have happened in this case.

I think it is getting more difficult to be a coach and/or educator. However, all the more reason for good men and women to get involved and make a difference in our young adults. Cause, obviously, some parents are dropping the ball in that regard.

I do think that communication is the key to getting the respect and absolute most out of your kids and ultimately your team. Some coaches and teachers do that extremely well and it shows.

SWMustang
01-22-2009, 10:50 AM

It's common for assumptions to be made here. I was also wondering why everyone jumped to the conclusion that this was the result of a disrespectful kid. There are bad apples in every walk of life - police, coaches, clergy.....

TinyTim
01-22-2009, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang
It's common for assumptions to be made here. I was also wondering why everyone jumped to the conclusion that this was the result of a disrespectful kid. There are bad apples in every walk of life - police, coaches, clergy.....

Absolutely correct, but so the sake of discussion, At what point is a coach or teacher warranted in striking a student with his or her hands?

pirate4state
01-22-2009, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by TinyTim
Absolutely correct, but so the sake of discussion, At what point is a coach or teacher warranted in striking a student with his or her hands?

Sadly in the world we live in today, the answer is NEVER.

The educator/school would get sued so fast your head would spin.

I got sent to the principal's office ONCE and that was enough to learn my lesson. Not only did I get a paddle to my butt at school, but I got a few more swats when I got home! I learned my lesson...don't get caught again. :D ;)

It's sad when as a coach you can't even raise your voice to a kid without mommy and/or daddy pitching a bigger fit than the kid. :rolleyes:

Trashman
01-22-2009, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state

I got sent to the principal's office ONCE and that was enough to learn my lesson.

You in the principals office? Say it isn't so!:confused:

DDBooger
01-22-2009, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Sadly in the world we live in today, the answer is NEVER.

The educator/school would get sued so fast your head would spin.

I got sent to the principal's office ONCE and that was enough to learn my lesson. Not only did I get a paddle to my butt at school, but I got a few more swats when I got home! I learned my lesson...don't get caught again. :D ;)

It's sad when as a coach you can't even raise your voice to a kid without mommy and/or daddy pitching a bigger fit than the kid. :rolleyes: man I remember I jumped offsides on a 4th and 1 and got met by the line coach and taken to the sideline by my facemask and endured some serious verbal abuse
I was scarred for life!:(
http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee324/KerosenePictures/child%20abuse%20and%20rape/Dreamcatchers%20KY/verbalabuse-1.jpg
lmao
:p