PDA

View Full Version : More prayers needed

STANG RED
01-20-2009, 01:17 PM
My longest and best friends son (Josh Gilbert) was careflighted to Lubbock early this morning. He actually lives in Abilene, but broke his foot a couple weeks back, so he was staying here with his folks while healing. At 6:30 this morning my buddy was about to leave for work, but decided to look in on Josh before he left, because he had gotten sick and thrown up the night before. He found Josh in the floor and unrespossive at all. He picked him up carried him to his pickup and made a mad dash to the hospital here in Sweetwater. They worked with him for a while but quickly realized how critcal his condition was, and discovered that some of his organs were starting to shut down, so they sent him to Lubbock. I just spoke to my buddy a few minutes ago and have never heard such a sorrowful sound come out of this big mans mouth. It isnt looking good at all right now, and the doctors still dont even have a clue of why or what is going on.

Josh is about 25 years old and was a WR for the Mustangs just a few short years ago. I think he graduated in either 2001 or 2002.

Please pray with all your might for this young man that has so much to live for. And pray for his family as well. They are all wonderful people that I love very much.

Ranger Mom
01-20-2009, 01:48 PM
Prayers going out now!

44INAROW
01-20-2009, 02:22 PM
Prayers for healing for Josh, his family and the doctors to find out what's attacking his body......... please keep us posted..

Johnny Utah
01-20-2009, 02:32 PM
Prayers sent!!!

wildstangs
01-20-2009, 02:34 PM
Will do. Wasnt Josh the one that was careflighted from practice one day?

zebrablue2
01-20-2009, 02:38 PM
Prayers sent!!!

slingshot
01-20-2009, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
...Please pray with all your might for this young man that has so much to live for. And pray for his family as well. They are all wonderful people that I love very much. Consider it done...

ccmom
01-20-2009, 04:28 PM
Praying now...

CheerMom
01-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Prayers are sent....

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-20-2009, 04:49 PM
Josh and I were good friends in High School and I actually just spoke to him a couple of weeks ago. I hope all is well, Josh has faced many medical conditions in his life and fought through them all, he is a fighter.

Prayers from San Angelo.

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-20-2009, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Will do. Wasnt Josh the one that was careflighted from practice one day?

Yeah he was, haha it wasn't funny then but looking back on the neckbrace he wore, made me laugh a little.

STANG RED
01-20-2009, 09:32 PM
Talked to my buddy just a little while ago. Josh is still in a coma and completely unresponsive, but there has been some slight improvements, so their hope is rising a bit. He was put on kidney dialysis treatments at 6 this evening, and will continue with it twice a day for the next three days. I dont know if this means his kidneys have completely shut down, or if they just need help getting his blood cleaned up from all the infection. Still lots of unanswered question. But I know they have ran lots of tests and have at least ruled out a few things. He had a cat scan about 4 this evening and it turned out looking good at least. And the toxicology test only showed a small amount of aspirin in his system, so that is good. He had taken that Monday sometime for the pain he was having in his broken foot, after being on it all day Saturday and Sunday working the local stock show.
Keep praying. He still has a long long way to go, and is far from even being close to out of the woods. I'll probably head to Lubbock in the morning to be with my buddy for a while.

LH Panther Mom
01-20-2009, 10:15 PM
Prayers are going out. :(

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-20-2009, 11:29 PM
Talked to my buddy just a little while ago. Josh is still in a coma and completely unresponsive, but there has been some slight improvements, so their hope is rising a bit. He was put on kidney dialysis treatments at 6 this evening, and will continue with it twice a day for the next three days. I dont know if this means his kidneys have completely shut down, or if they just need help getting his blood cleaned up from all the infection. Still lots of unanswered question. But I know they have ran lots of tests and have at least ruled out a few things. He had a cat scan about 4 this evening and it turned out looking good at least. And the toxicology test only showed a small amount of aspirin in his system, so that is good. He had taken that Monday sometime for the pain he was having in his broken foot, after being on it all day Saturday and Sunday working the local stock show.
Keep praying. He still has a long long way to go, and is far from even being close to out of the woods. I'll probably head to Lubbock in the morning to be with my buddy for a while.

Stang Red, I'm going to PM you.

GetRDoneStangs
01-20-2009, 11:58 PM
My prayers out to Josh......let's all continue to pray......

I can tell you for a fact that praying as a group/community works!!

Old Dog
01-21-2009, 01:08 AM
May the power of prayer be seen today.

STANG RED
01-21-2009, 10:33 AM
Just got another update. Not alot of change over the night, but what little there is is at least positive. All of his vital signs have stabilized and are right where they should be. He is still considered unresponsive, but while they were swabbing his mount and throat during the night, he did gag a little bit. Thats not huge but it is at least something of a response. Most all of the results from tests ran so far will be in the doctors hands by tomorrow, so maybe this will give them a better understanding of what is going on and how to treat it.
Keep your prayers up please, they seem to working, but we still have a long way to go. Thanks so much for all your prayers and best wishes so far. It is a great comfort to family and friends, to know so many are praying and wishing for the best. Your an awesome bunch, and I'm proud to be associated with you.

44INAROW
01-21-2009, 10:34 AM
Sounds like the prayers are working - hope the doctors have the answers soon, Please keep us posted :)

ccmom
01-21-2009, 10:55 AM
Good to hear that there have been some positive signs. I will keep him in my prayers.

Bullaholic
01-21-2009, 11:18 AM
Glad there is a little positive news. I hope that the news continues to be good. Prayers from Bull Country.

STANG RED
01-21-2009, 03:29 PM
Well things are continuing to slowly improve. His pupils have begun to dilate as supposed to, and the brain swelling is beginning to subside. The Doctors cannot detect any brain damage from the cat scan and other test results, so they are optimistic about that. He is nowhere near out of the woods yet, but at least things are moving in the right direction ever so slightly. They still dont know what has caused all of this, but there is a team of 5 Doctors working on it, so I'm sure they will figure it all out eventually. At least now it appears Josh has turned the corner, and is at least improving some.

GetRDoneStangs
01-21-2009, 03:33 PM
Well things are continuing to slowly improve. His pupils have begun to dilate as supposed to, and the brain swelling is beginning to subside. The Doctors cannot detect any brain damage from the cat scan and other test results, so they are optimistic about that. He is nowhere near out of the woods yet, but at least things are moving in the right direction ever so slightly. They still dont know what has caused all of this, but there is a team of 5 Doctors working on it, so I'm sure they will figure it all out eventually. At least now it appears Josh has turned the corner, and is at least improving some.

Thanks for the updates Marlin.....we will keep him in our prayers!

zebrablue2
01-21-2009, 11:11 PM
more prayers said and sent.

IHStangFan
01-21-2009, 11:57 PM
Prayers sent. That is the most bizarre things I've ever heard. I sure hope he pulls through it and they figure out what caused all of this. That way it can be avoided in the future. Please keep us posted.

STANG RED
01-22-2009, 11:25 AM
Great News!!! Josh opened his eyes this morning, and is able to respond to questions with blinks. His kidneys still are not fuctioning, but more dialysis is scheduled, which should continue to remove more of the infection from his body. He still has a long way to go, but the signs are looking better all the time. It at least looks like the worst part is over and real recovery has begun. Hopefully now they can turn more of their attention into finding out what and how this all started. That is still the big mystery to everyone.

pirate4state
01-22-2009, 11:26 AM
good news! :2thumbsup

Phantom Stang
01-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Great News!!! Josh opened his eyes this morning, and is able to respond to questions with blinks. His kidneys still are not fuctioning, but more dialysis is scheduled, which should continue to remove more of the infection from his body. He still has a long way to go, but the signs are looking better all the time. It at least looks like the worst part is over and real recovery has begun. Hopefully now they can turn more of their attention into finding out what and how this all started. That is still the big mystery to everyone.
Glad to here the good news and thanks for the updates.

CHS_CG
01-22-2009, 12:33 PM
Wonderful news! Prayers coming from Caldwell! Hope Josh continues to go in the right direction!

44INAROW
01-22-2009, 12:46 PM
sounds like things are much improved. I hope they find out what caused the illness ASAP.. Please keep us posted ;) :2thumbsup

BILLYFRED0000
01-22-2009, 12:54 PM

Keep the updates coming and God Bless.

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-22-2009, 03:55 PM
Good news, I'll keep on sending up prayers.

IHStangFan
01-22-2009, 04:15 PM
:clap: Great news!!

zebrablue2
01-22-2009, 09:18 PM
more prayers said and sent..

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-23-2009, 11:52 AM
StangRed,

Any updates today?

STANG RED
01-23-2009, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
StangRed,

Any updates today?

No, sorry there isnt any. Derrick has usually called me by now, but he has not. I tried calling him a few minutes ago but it went to voicemail. I hope everything is ok. I'll update as soon as I here something.

STANG RED
01-23-2009, 01:53 PM
Just talked to Derrick a couple minutes ago. The news just keeps getting better all the time. Josh is now setting up and watching ESPN. He has been taken completely off the ventilator, and his kidneys are starting to function a little bit more. In fact there not planning a dialysis treatment today so far, in hopes that it will kick start his kidneys into working even more.
He is trying to talk but still has several tubes down his throat preventing that, which is becoming a source of frustration for him. But the Doctors say those tubes will come out tomorrow if he continues on this pace of progress.
I am convinced that all your prayers have been crucial in this miraculous recovery, and want to thank you sincerely for all you have done!
I didn’t know till talking to Derrick today, that a Chaplin had been called in to talk to the family on Tuesday night, and I think you all know what that implies. But then suddenly the signs of improvement started happening on Wednesday. Good hopes and strong prayers from great people like you all are the reason this young man is alive and on the road to recovery today. Modern medicine is a great and wonderful thing, but it will never be a substitute for what prayer can accomplish by fine people such as yourselves. I can’t thank you all enough.

BILLYFRED0000
01-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Thank God and God bless. Amen brother.

STANG RED
01-24-2009, 03:55 PM
Well all the tubes are out now and Josh is talking up a storm. His kidneys are working a little more but still have some to go yet, but they are confident they will be working fully within just a few days now. One more round of dialysis is scheduled for this evening, and maybe that will be enough. They may even move him out of ICU this evening or tomorrow. All signs at this point is that there will be a full recovery. Not bad for a kid that was just a hairs breath away from death just a few days ago.

IHStangFan
01-24-2009, 04:26 PM
All signs at this point is that there will be a full recovery. Not bad for a kid that was just a hairs breath away from death just a few days ago. No kidding...that is simply wonderful and amazing! :clap: Miracles DO happen.

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-24-2009, 04:33 PM
Well all the tubes are out now and Josh is talking up a storm. His kidneys are working a little more but still have some to go yet, but they are confident they will be working fully within just a few days now. One more round of dialysis is scheduled for this evening, and maybe that will be enough. They may even move him out of ICU this evening or tomorrow. All signs at this point is that there will be a full recovery. Not bad for a kid that was just a hairs breath away from death just a few days ago.

Awesome news. Josh has faced alot of medical adversity since we were kids and always fought through it.

kaorder1999
01-24-2009, 04:36 PM
prayers still from Crandall!

ccmom
01-24-2009, 04:53 PM
Wonderful news!! He will continue to be in my prayers.

ProudHornetMom
01-30-2009, 10:54 AM
I haven't been on 3a for a couple of weeks. What a frightening exerience and what a wonderful outcome! I'll keep all in prayer especially Josh to continue his remarkable recovery.

Prayer definitely works!

STANG RED
01-30-2009, 12:02 PM
Josh is coming home today. His kidneys still arent working, so he'll have to travel to Big Spring 3 timea a week for dialysis, but they are still hopeful that they'll start working again at some point. Even the Doctors say they have seen many cases where the kidneys will just all of the sudden kick in even after several months. So we'll just have to wait and see what happens, but at least he's otherwise in pretty good shape.
He did have a small stroke while having a 38 minute siezure last Tuesday night, which has affected his motor skills some, but that is improving greatly every day, and I dont think they are expecting any real long term affects from it. But they do have him on siezure meds for at least 6 months just as a precaution, so he cant drive till he is off that. All in all things are pretty good all things considered, Just have to work these lingering problems over the next few months, but at least even these things look promising at this point. I think he'll be just fine in time.