PDA

View Full Version : After what grade can your school qualify for a varsity letter jacket?

Troybuilt
01-20-2009, 12:15 PM
Ours gets them after there Freshman year.

kaorder1999
01-20-2009, 12:34 PM
because of financial woes, Dallas ISD now gives them to only Seniors

Ranger Mom
01-20-2009, 12:36 PM
I think Greenwood makes them wait until the end of the Sophomore year!

crzyjournalist03
01-20-2009, 01:08 PM
The schools I went to made you buy them.

coach
01-20-2009, 01:09 PM
we had to wait until we lettered in a varsity sport but couldnt get them until our soph yr

marler1972
01-20-2009, 01:18 PM
When I was in high school the freshman were in the jr high and did not get a chance to play varsity sports. I recevied mine right after the football season was over my sophmore year. You did not get one just cause you were on Varsity you had to play a certain amount to qualify for it so pretty much you had to earn it.

Emerson1
01-20-2009, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
The schools I went to made you buy them.
Huh?

Jason and I didn't have to buy them.

and you just have to meet the playing time requirements here, which basically means be on the team if you are a senior

jason
01-20-2009, 01:23 PM
i got mine at the beginning of my junior year after actually lettering in basketball my sophomore year...

crzyjournalist03
01-20-2009, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Huh?

Jason and I didn't have to buy them.

and you just have to meet the playing time requirements here, which basically means be on the team if you are a senior

I got a couple of letters, but I never got a jacket because I was told I had to pay for it. I think my mom probably still has the letters in a closet somewhere.

Maybe it was because I transferred into Forney after my sophomore year or something?

Emerson1
01-20-2009, 01:27 PM
I got a couple of letters, but I never got a jacket because I was told I had to pay for it. I think my mom probably still has the letters in a closet somewhere.

Maybe it was because I transferred into Forney after my sophomore year or something?
Maybe they just didn't like you? I know plenty of people that moved in and still got theirs free

jason
01-20-2009, 01:28 PM

Maybe it was because I transferred into Forney after my sophomore year or something? what sport(s)?

Emerson1
01-20-2009, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by jason
what sport(s)?
Ultimate Bathroom Fighting :D :D :D

Buckeye1980
01-20-2009, 01:32 PM
I got mine after my Freshman year in baseball

crzyjournalist03
01-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by jason
what sport(s)?

At Forney, I didn't letter in any sports. I placed at the district track meet my junior year, but that was on JV. I lettered in UIL academics and some other academic-related organization/competition (NHS, Quill and Scroll? honestly don't remember)...but anyway, I have a letter and a couple of patches. I'm trying to remember, but I don't think they had "letters" for cheerleading...I think they offered to let me get one of the cheer jackets, but I passed on that one.

I suppose that the reason they said I would have to pay for it is because I didn't letter in a varsity sport, but it would seem to me that there would be issues giving them for free to varsity athletes but not to academic letterers.

The other school I went to was a charter school, and I lettered in volleyball and baseball, but I didn't get the jacket because they charged like $150 for it and I knew I was transferring.

Sweetwater Red
01-20-2009, 01:51 PM
At Forney, I didn't letter in any sports. I placed at the district track meet my junior year, but that was on JV. I lettered in UIL academics and some other academic-related organization/competition (NHS, Quill and Scroll? honestly don't remember)...but anyway, I have a letter and a couple of patches. I'm trying to remember, but I don't think they had "letters" for cheerleading...I think they offered to let me get one of the cheer jackets, but I passed on that one.

I suppose that the reason they said I would have to pay for it is because I didn't letter in a varsity sport, but it would seem to me that there would be issues giving them for free to varsity athletes but not to academic letterers.

The other school I went to was a charter school, and I lettered in volleyball and baseball, but I didn't get the jacket because they charged like $150 for it and I knew I was transferring.

After reading this, I think you have alot in common with ESPN's
Mike Greenberg.:thinking: :D

Ranger Mom
01-20-2009, 01:51 PM
In Greenwood, you get the jacket for free, but have to buy the "patches."

At the school I went to, you got the patches after lettering, but had to buy the jacket for it to go on....which actually makes more sense to me.

Heck....they way it is now, you can "buy" whatever you want to put on your jacket, you don't even have to earn it!

Emerson1
01-20-2009, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
In Greenwood, you get the jacket for free, but have to buy the "patches."

At the school I went to, you got the patches after lettering, but had to buy the jacket for it to go on....which actually makes more sense to me.

Heck....they way it is now, you can "buy" whatever you want to put on your jacket, you don't even have to earn it!
I thought the patch you earned was the actual letter? Then what I saw people do was to have a slanted line for each year you "lettered" and a spot on the letter for each sport.

Then you could buy individual patches that look like a ball or something and put the years on it or one for each year.

Ranger Mom
01-20-2009, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I thought the patch you earned was the actual letter? Then what I saw people do was to have a slanted line for each year you "lettered" and a spot on the letter for each sport.

Then you could buy individual patches that look like a ball or something and put the years on it or one for each year.

Maybe so. I know Ashton got her jacket (because she was a Varsity trainer) her sophomore year. It had a "G" on it...and a pair of track wings....haha....someone screwed up somewhere.

We never bought anything else to go on it because she changed schools and never wore it again.

crzyjournalist03
01-20-2009, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Mike Greenberg.:thinking: :D

I probably would have lettered in track my senior year, but I decided not to run. I was too busy enjoying my final months with my friends and applying for scholarships in college.

GreenMonster
01-20-2009, 02:17 PM
Here, we make you letter 2 times before you get a jacket and you must be at least a sophmore. You can letter in 2 different sports, but you must earn at least 2 letters before we even consider buying a jacket. We decided just recently that no freshmen can have a jacket. If they earn it as a freshman then we give it to them after the first sport of the year (football or volleyball) their sophmore year. This way they can at least have it for the winter of their sophmore year, but they have had the entire summer to grow a little more before we give them a sized jacket.

TinyTim
01-20-2009, 02:34 PM
My son has no more room on his letter jacket and it has cost me a small fortune. He has not worn it ONE TIME. Prefers to wear polo. Go figure.

DUKE22
01-20-2009, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Mike Greenberg.:thinking: :D That is pretty good.:D

Additup
01-20-2009, 07:42 PM
I know a few schools that do this and the more I thought about it, the more I liked it...

During spring of Junior year, every Junior that finished season (even JV) in good standing gets measured.
All kids have jacket for their Sr. year sometime around October.

Pros:
1) No worries about "my kid played 2 minutes in 1/3 of district games" or whatever parents feel like merits a letter.
2) You don't have kids that lettered as a sophmore and quit, walking around with a letter jacket for 2 years.
3) It saves money.
4) Spring sports Srs. get to actually wear their letter jacket in HS.