PDA

View Full Version : Top 3 schools to coach at in each region?

Eagle1
01-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Let's hear your top 3 places to coach in each region.

Reg. 1
Abilene Wylie
Liberty Hill
Monahans

Reg. 2
Celina
Prosper
uuuhhh

Reg. 3
Gilmer
Carthage
Jasper

Reg. 4
Bellville
Sealy
Giddings

Txbroadcaster
01-19-2009, 06:38 PM
what are ur rules for them being a top 3 place to coach? Winning? location, facilities? all of the above?

kepdawg
01-19-2009, 06:44 PM
For ME it would be:

R1
Brownwood
Abilene Wylie
Sweetwater

R2
Celina
Argyle
Lovejoy

R3
Jasper
WOS
Gilmer

R4
Cuero
Hondo
Anyone from D30

87 TIGER
01-19-2009, 07:05 PM
Are we talking about for sports only? or about the communities , school system, location , or what?

kepdawg
01-19-2009, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
what are ur rules for them being a top 3 place to coach? Winning? location, facilities? all of the above?

Originally posted by 87 TIGER
Are we talking about for sports only? or about the communities , school system, location , or what?

I answered the question based on the phrase "your top 3" meaning I can take into consideration whatever factors I need to. I would not expect anyone else's list to match mine because they are not me.

TRENCHES06
01-19-2009, 08:07 PM
not sure Sealy would be a desirable place....

Daddy D 11
01-19-2009, 08:13 PM
Region 1: LH, Brownwood and Burnet
Region 2: Celina and that's it, the rest stink:D
Region 3: Gilmer, La Grange, and Taylor
Region 4: Cuero, Aransas Pass and Pearsall

LH because it's my home, Brownwood for it's history and facilities and Burnet strictly out of location.
Celina, well that one is obvious.
I'd like Gilmer because they seem to turn out talent like no ones business and the town is fairly nice, La Grange because it's close to Lake Fayette and Taylor because it's close to family in Thorndale
Cuero because my uncles coaches baseball there and because of the tradition, Aransas Pass purely for fishing purposes and Pearsall because I've spent years hunting south of thattown in Derby and I think it's a nice, quiet town.

JR2004
01-19-2009, 08:42 PM
Talent-wise Madison would be a top school to coach at in Region II for football. It's not Celina in terms of tradition or importance and never will be, but purely from a talent standpoint it's a top job.

However, it's an inner-city school and the pay will not be what coaches can get at a suburban school. The school environment is nothing like it was just 5 or 6 years ago, but still it's not going to be a desirable place to go to for most folks due to it being a part of DISD and its past reputation. What has killed Madison since it began winning again is not being able to implement offensive and defensive systems at the junior high level. In the past this would've been impossible to do, but we now have our own junior high for the first time so the system the varsity uses can be used at the junior high level. Finally having a junior high makes it more desirable.

For basketball it's no contest. Basketball is to Madison what football is to Celina if that makes sense. It's the best place to be at for a basketball coach in all of Class 3A but for football it's different.

Eagle1
01-19-2009, 08:53 PM
I guess I should have had Cuero on my list. I would have to say a great community, winning tradition, talent, facilities, and hard working kids would have to make a place a great place to coach.

WTF-82
01-19-2009, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Eagle1

Reg. 1
Abilene Wylie
Liberty Hill
Monahans

Reg. 2
Celina
Prosper
uuuhhh

Reg. 3
Gilmer
Carthage
Jasper

Reg. 4
Bellville
Sealy
Giddings

WTF-82
01-19-2009, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Eagle1

Reg. 1
Abilene Wylie
Liberty Hill
Monahans

Reg. 2
Celina
Prosper
uuuhhh

Reg. 3
Gilmer
Carthage
Jasper

Reg. 4
Bellville
Sealy
Giddings

In Region 1 - I would replace L-Hill with Brownwood no disrespect but the Wood is a great job great tradition Hill is on the map now though 2 State titles in F-Ball is impressive.

And Monahans looks good to me not many other schools towns or program that will commit to the kids and excellance more than Monahans its hard work pride and commitment to there town and school that keeps this school going it sure is not the economy or location or talent level Monahans never been known for talent just hard working commited kids that love there school,family,athletic program and town. I dont live there no more due to my business and job but is were my heart is and as my kids get older do see myself trying to get back as long as the good lord allows. Great School. Great place kids with the schools.

block&tackle
01-19-2009, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Talent-wise Madison would be a top school to coach at in Region II for football. It's not Celina in terms of tradition or importance and never will be, but purely from a talent standpoint it's a top job.

However, it's an inner-city school and the pay will not be what coaches can get at a suburban school. The school environment is nothing like it was just 5 or 6 years ago, but still it's not going to be a desirable place to go to for most folks due to it being a part of DISD and its past reputation. What has killed Madison since it began winning again is not being able to implement offensive and defensive systems at the junior high level. In the past this would've been impossible to do, but we now have our own junior high for the first time so the system the varsity uses can be used at the junior high level. Finally having a junior high makes it more desirable.

To me this has to be one of the most challenging jobs in all of 3A.
First you have to get the kids into pads and out on the practice fields. Sounds easy but only two other programs in all of DISD have been able to do it with the consistency that the guy at Madison has. There are other schools that have similar talent levels (including one in their district) and none win consistently like Madison does. My opinion is that that is because they have a coaching staff that gets the absolute most out of the kids that they have.

Then you have to deal with the fact that you are coaching in one of the worst school districts in the state. This would be one of the least most desirable jobs out there for most coaches and I have nothing but admiration for the current staff (and nothing but contempt for the guy that runs them down every chance that he gets).

navscanmaster
01-19-2009, 11:16 PM
La Grange is in Region IV, not III. I can speak for Region III and part of Region IV.

If you go by talent pool and number of available athletes:
Region III:
Gilmer
Jasper
Carthage
WOS
Navasota
Madisonville
Cameron
Crockett
Region IV:
Cuero
Bellville
Sealy

If you go by desirable location and/or facilities:
Region III:
Jasper: Lakes in area
Coldspring: On lake
Groesbeck, Mexia: Facilities/Lake
Gilmer: Facilities, close to major city
Texarkana Liberty-Eylau, Pleasant Grove: Gambling!

AggiesAreWe
01-20-2009, 01:36 AM
For what sport?

kepdawg
01-20-2009, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by AggiesAreWe
For what sport?

Is that a serious question? I thought it was obvious we were all talking about volleyball!

hookandladder
01-20-2009, 08:06 AM
Yes, La Grange is now Region 4 along with Bellville,Sealy Giddings and Columbus, if your rating the schools on Facilities La Grange has just climbed on top. The baseball and softball teams will break in their new fields this year, putting the finishing touches on their new 2.2 million dollar fields. With the shape are football stadium is in I would assume it will also get a new facelift pretty soon also. Also the school hired a head grounds keeper to maintain all fields, right now all fields are in excellent shape. Perfect timing with my son beginning High School next year, he will be playing on top notch facilities with a great coaching staff.

c-town_balla
01-20-2009, 08:31 AM
La Grange should never change baseball fields.

hookandladder
01-20-2009, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by c-town_balla
La Grange should never change baseball fields.

Done deal, have played and coached on are old field for the last 20 years however you must understand the field does not belong to the High School. Our new super. did not want to put mony into something he does not own also up keep would continue to be a problem. It just made better since to build new fields at the High shool, also we needed another field for our Babe Ruth and Little League teams to play on. It is a win win situation for our community also the new stadium's did not cost the tax payers of our community, this was unused money sitting in the bank. Still more were it came from, to be used.

Rocket Dad
01-20-2009, 09:54 AM
Must take the school enviroment into consideration. Some of the schools mentioned have zoo-like situations. Gilmer- zoo, Carthage- former zoo, getting better. There are others. Just depends on what you want out of life whether to work in those places. Just the facts.

Txbroadcaster
01-20-2009, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Rocket Dad
Must take the school enviroment into consideration. Some of the schools mentioned have zoo-like situations. Gilmer- zoo, Carthage- former zoo, getting better. There are others. Just depends on what you want out of life whether to work in those places. Just the facts.

How is Gilmer a zoo? and how was Carthage a former zoo?

Rocket Dad
01-20-2009, 10:27 AM
Kinfolks attended Gilmer a couple years back, she told me that on most days the atmosphere was chaotic in the school, not in the ath. program. Carthage had a 2 or 3 year run with horrible problems both in the school and ath., talked to a coach there who said it was improving. Both of those schools have strong coaches, the ath. should be O.K.

NastySlot
01-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
R1:
Wylie-DUH
Liberty Hill-new winning tradition and should have tons of growth soon
Brownwood-Should be back very soon

R2:
Celina-DUH
Prosper-Tons of growth and great athletes
Argyle-Will be the next Prosper. Lovejoy was close, but they won't be 3a for long

R3:
Gilmer-athletes
WOS-athletes and tradition
La Grange-great coach there.

R4:
Giddings-athletes and will always be a top tier team in R4
Cuero-ALWAYS has a chance to win the whole thing
Canyon Lake-that place is gonna explode!

i thought the same thing about canyon lake but not too sure...i fish out there sometimes and was speaking to a man who lives in that area ... he told me about efforts by a land management group that is trying to prevent that growth....due to a lack of water he said and that many don't want a major road connection to new braunfels....so i don't know about canyon lake.....it has a lot of potential.

Electus Unus
01-20-2009, 11:23 AM
Taking academics as well as athletics into account I have narrowed it down to these schools.

Region I: 1. Abilene Wylie 2. Bridgeport 3. China Spring
Region 2: 1. Celina 2. Argyle 3. Prosper
Region 3: 1. Gilmer 2. WO-S 3. Caldwell
Region 4: 1. Bellville 2. Giddings 3. Cuero

44INAROW
01-20-2009, 12:00 PM
It sure is a nice compliment to have so many people put Cuero in their lists :)

DDBooger
01-20-2009, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
It sure is a nice compliment to have so many people put Cuero in their lists :) yall have a great town, travel through there when I head home to CC from San Marcos

Texasfootball2
01-20-2009, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
Taking academics as well as athletics into account I have narrowed it down to these schools.

Region I: 1. Abilene Wylie 2. Bridgeport 3. China Spring
Region 2: 1. Celina 2. Argyle 3. Prosper
Region 3: 1. Gilmer 2. WO-S 3. Caldwell
Region 4: 1. Bellville 2. Giddings 3. Cuero Abilene Wylie recieved the highest academic award that a school can be awarded last year. There were very few of these awards given out last. :D

44INAROW
01-20-2009, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
yall have a great town, travel through there when I head home to CC from San Marcos
you know where Rosie's Restaurant is? I work in that block - you pass my office every time you come through town ;)

icu812
01-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
La Grange is in Region IV, not III. I can speak for Region III and part of Region IV.

If you go by talent pool and number of available athletes:
Region III:
Gilmer
Jasper
Carthage
WOS
Navasota
Madisonville
Cameron
Crockett
Region IV:
Cuero
Bellville
Sealy

If you go by desirable location and/or facilities:
Region III:
Jasper: Lakes in area
Coldspring: On lake
Groesbeck, Mexia: Facilities/Lake
Gilmer: Facilities, close to major city
Texarkana Liberty-Eylau, Pleasant Grove: Gambling!

As far as the talent pool and facilities Tatum is well ahead of some of those teams. Tatum is the deep end of the talent pool and has great facilities.

87 TIGER
01-20-2009, 02:44 PM
I-Fredericksburg,Glen Rose, China

II- Texarkana Liberty-Eylau, Celina

III- Rockdale, Caldwell, Splendora

IV- Aransas Pass, CC West Oso, Cuero

Texasfootball2
01-20-2009, 03:12 PM

IV- Aransas Pass, CC West Oso, Cuero This has Cen-Tex Bias written all over it:thinking: :D I know the scenery is pretty in these areas but beyond the trees there are some great schools, with great facilities, and a overall winning tradition in every sport on I 20 and west of I 20.

lostaussie
01-20-2009, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Rocket Dad
Must take the school enviroment into consideration. Some of the schools mentioned have zoo-like situations. Gilmer- zoo, Carthage- former zoo, getting better. There are others. Just depends on what you want out of life whether to work in those places. Just the facts. That is a statement from someone who knows nothing of what he speaks. Have you ever stepped foot on GHS campus. I seriously doubt it. And this statement comes from someone from Waco...........gmab!!!

pirate4state
01-20-2009, 03:36 PM

Aransas Pass :confused:

That is an, ahhhh interesting, choice.

There is plenty of talent at Aransas Pass, but they can't seem to hold onto a coach for more than 2-3 years at a time. Good Luck

bigYoe
01-20-2009, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
Region 1: LH, Brownwood and Burnet
Region 2: Celina and that's it, the rest stink:D
Region 3: Gilmer, La Grange, and Taylor
Region 4: Cuero, Aransas Pass and Pearsall

LH because it's my home, Brownwood for it's history and facilities and Burnet strictly out of location.
Celina, well that one is obvious.
I'd like Gilmer because they seem to turn out talent like no ones business and the town is fairly nice, La Grange because it's close to Lake Fayette and Taylor because it's close to family in Thorndale
Cuero because my uncles coaches baseball there and because of the tradition, Aransas Pass purely for fishing purposes and Pearsall because I've spent years hunting south of thattown in Derby and I think it's a nice, quiet town.

Cameron is closer to Thorndale than Taylor and Trust me you'd rather live in Cameron than Taylor.

bigYoe
01-20-2009, 04:26 PM

You know you thought VERY HARD about putting Cameron instead of Splendora

Rabid Cougar
01-20-2009, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
That is a statement from someone who knows nothing of what he speaks. Have you ever stepped foot on GHS campus. I seriously doubt it. And this statement comes from someone from Waco...........gmab!!!

Waco has a nice zoo!

Daddy D 11
01-20-2009, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by bigYoe
Cameron is closer to Thorndale than Taylor and Trust me you'd rather live in Cameron than Taylor.

Cameron's closer to Thorndale than Taylor?:thinking:

coach
01-20-2009, 09:12 PM
for basketball facilities i am willing to bet that fairield has the best gym for 3a

trojan37
01-20-2009, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by coach
for basketball facilities i am willing to bet that fairield has the best gym for 3a

Fairfield's is nice. Ours isn't bad either.

http://www.westisd.net/images/HSGym2.jpg

87 TIGER
01-20-2009, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Aransas Pass :confused:

That is an, ahhhh interesting, choice.

There is plenty of talent at Aransas Pass, but they can't seem to hold onto a coach for more than 2-3 years at a time. Good Luck Plenty of sun, fun, and fishing

87 TIGER
01-20-2009, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by bigYoe
Cameron is closer to Thorndale than Taylor and Trust me you'd rather live in Cameron than Taylor. Taylor is closer to Tdale but your right, you don't want to live in Taylor.

DukeNukem
01-21-2009, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by trojan37
Fairfield's is nice. Ours isn't bad either.

http://www.westisd.net/images/HSGym2.jpg

it could be nice, but when it comes to girls' hoops anyone that has those dang volleyball lines on the court can't say they have a nice basketball gym. give me a cracker box without volleyball lines anyday over a great facility that has them. i have talked to several very successful girls b-ball coaches and they say the key to their success is avoiding schools that offer volleyball.

kepdawg
01-21-2009, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by DukeNukem
it could be nice, but when it comes to girls' hoops anyone that has those dang volleyball lines on the court can't say they have a nice basketball gym. give me a cracker box without volleyball lines anyday over a great facility that has them. i have talked to several very successful girls b-ball coaches and they say the key to their success is avoiding schools that offer volleyball.

I'm surprised schools like that would let their girls do anything but cheer for football the one and only true sport!

latticat21
01-21-2009, 10:32 AM
I'd have to go with LH, Burnet, or Wimberly in Region 1

Only Celina in Region 2

WOS, Gilmer, Navasota in Region 3

Only Cuero from Region 4

BILLYFRED0000
01-21-2009, 11:59 AM
Argyle is nice in region 2. There are several good jobs up here.
TLE is good. Prosper is really looking good and has been improving for the last few years.

Daddy D 11
01-21-2009, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by latticat21
I'd have to go with LH, Burnet, or Wimberly in Region 1

Only Celina in Region 2

WOS, Gilmer, Navasota in Region 3

Only Cuero from Region 4

Shutup.

Dieselsmoke
01-21-2009, 04:56 PM
Paris High school has great athletes and are breaking ground on a new school with a new football stadium.

North Lamar has a newer high school with multipurpose building and the added bonus of NO pressure to win!

Eagle1
01-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Paris is a place I have kept an eye on since they dropped to 3A. I thought they might do real well but they have not done it yet. They do have good #'s and have had great athletes.

XMan
01-22-2009, 07:01 AM
Navasota???? are you people kidding me???? If you have ever been around Nasty Soda you would not put this one in there. Im suspecting it is getting votes because of the field turf. Im surprised that no one has mentioned the hours a coach has to work or the pay scale that he/she is working under as considerations. I know lots of coaches that live in small towns and then commute to work in districts that offer much better pay/facilities. I also know some that live way out in the sticks so that they can "get away", go hunting or fishing when there is a little off time.

Navasota?????? next I guess someone will say Brookshire Royal or Hempstead. (2a now)

lostaussie
01-22-2009, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by XMan
Navasota???? are you people kidding me???? If you have ever been around Nasty Soda you would not put this one in there. Im suspecting it is getting votes because of the field turf. Im surprised that no one has mentioned the hours a coach has to work or the pay scale that he/she is working under as considerations. I know lots of coaches that live in small towns and then commute to work in districts that offer much better pay/facilities. I also know some that live way out in the sticks so that they can "get away", go hunting or fishing when there is a little off time.

Navasota?????? next I guess someone will say Brookshire Royal or Hempstead. (2a now) alrighty then..........I see you are a big fan of the Rattlers:D