PDA

View Full Version : Heroism

Bullaholic
01-19-2009, 03:36 PM
How many of your fellow citizens do you think would rise to the occasion and be heroes/heroines like "Sully" Sullenberger, the US Airways pilot, if they found themselves in a situation where their actions could save lives? Many have the training to help them save lives, many do not, yet we read almost daily about the heroic acts of "common" folks, and then instances where injured persons or unattended small children in plain sight are ignored on the roadside by passersby.

Electus Unus
01-19-2009, 04:20 PM
I once administered CPR to a person and saved their life.

Emerson1
01-19-2009, 04:22 PM
I caught an old lady who slipped going up some stairs at a wedding. Would of been a nice long fall on concrete steps to a brick floor

Txbroadcaster
01-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
How many of your fellow citizens do you think would rise to the occasion and be heroes/heroines like "Sully" Sullenberger, the US Airways pilot, if they found themselves in a situation where their actions could save lives? Many have the training to help them save lives, many do not, yet we read almost daily about the heroic acts of "common" folks, and then instances where injured persons or unattended small children in plain sight are ignored on the roadside by passersby.

I call what Sully did not being a hero, but doing his job. a great deed he did and he is an amazing pilot, but he did not go above and beyond his duties imo, he simply did what he is supposed to do as a pilot and I think he would even say that

DDBooger
01-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I call what Sully did not being a hero, but doing his job. a great deed he did and he is an amazing pilot, but he did not go above and beyond his duties imo, he simply did what he is supposed to do as a pilot and I think he would even say that :ditto:

slpybear the bullfan
01-19-2009, 10:39 PM
The man brought down a plane, with no engines, ditched it safely in the Hudson in 36°F water, did so with a plane that had both engine Nacelles slung under the wings making it a very tough ditch... then stayed with the plane until everyone else was off, walking the length twice just to be sure everyone was gone.

Call it his job, call it expected, call it whatever the heck YOU want to call it.

I call it heroic. And the fact that Mr. Sullenberger would not, confirms it.

goosealaniz
01-19-2009, 10:41 PM
when i was younger... me and my dad pulled someone out of a burning house... he was asleep...

Txbroadcaster
01-19-2009, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
The man brought down a plane, with no engines, ditched it safely in the Hudson in 36°F water, did so with a plane that had both engine Nacelles slung under the wings making it a very tough ditch... then stayed with the plane until everyone else was off, walking the length twice just to be sure everyone was gone.

Call it his job, call it expected, call it whatever the heck YOU want to call it.

I call it heroic. And the fact that Mr. Sullenberger would not, confirms it.

He is a pilot..he is trained to deal with these type of situations. Again what he did was amazing, but it was his job to do what he did.

Emerson1
01-19-2009, 10:50 PM
So fire fighters and the police force should never ever get special recognition because they are just doing their job?

Txbroadcaster
01-19-2009, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
So fire fighters and the police force should never ever get special recognition because they are just doing their job?

did not say that..special recognition is well deserved for anyone that does something amazing. I just think is someone who does something outside of their normal job descritpion or normal daily life is a hero

If one of the stewardess had set that plane down like that..They would have been a hero, no training, no knowledge yet able to do something so amazing.

This pilot has hours and hours of training in all type of disaster scenarios

Silverback 04
01-19-2009, 11:02 PM
I had my helicopter shot down in Iraq and sustained a life threatening wound which did not allow me to be able to fly the aircraft. My co-pilot, a brand new Chief Warrant Officer 2, managed to get that thing on the ground with only the use of one hand and his knees, due to being shot himself. Even though the aircraft was mostly destroyed, we were both able to climb out and run like hell, after he tied a tourniquet that kept me from bleeding out.

While pilots are highly trained, how they react when the crap hits the fan is something that either you have or you don't. You can't train heroism. In my 20+ years of flying Helos in the Army I've seen countless examples where a pilot who was well trained, fell apart under a stressfull situation and cost lives.

I do know that a water landing in a large airplane is one of those things that you can only train in a simulator and you can't simulate that kind of terror, because if you screw it up in the simulator, you can always get out and go home and sleep in your bed.

Kudos to those guys.

Old Dog
01-19-2009, 11:03 PM
I think there are heroes inside lots of people; just waiting for the need to arise. Personally, I think Sullenburger was a hero and all the hours and hours of training enabled him to do what he did. I've not heard of many heroes owning up to being such!

Ranger Mom
01-19-2009, 11:05 PM
My dad has always been a hero in my eyes, but when he saved me from drowning when I was 13, he "REALLY" became my hero then.

Only lingering effect from that situation is a case of claustrophobia.

Oh yeah.....whether "Sully" was just doing his job or not, he is a hero in my eyes too! And the fact that he doesn't think he is makes him one all the more, IMO!!

DDBooger
01-19-2009, 11:07 PM
people operationalize the term HERO differently, some see it as sacrificing one's self for others, or uncommon valor, or risking your life for others. that pilot wasn't removed from the danger, and acted when perhaps others could have panicked. Hero perhaps, courageous, no doubt.

Silverback 04
01-19-2009, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Old Dog
I think there are heroes inside lots of people; just waiting for the need to arise. Personally, I think Sullenburger was a hero and all the hours and hours of training enabled him to do what he did. I've not heard of many heroes owning up to being such!

Agree 100%. Due to my line of work, I've met alot of guys that were heroes and never once heard one of them say, "Look at me, I'm the man".

pirate4state
01-20-2009, 12:11 AM
SO...if he were strutting around and calling himself a hero, he would stop being a hero? :confused: :D

Are yall seriously debating this?!? :doh:

Silverback 04
01-20-2009, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
SO...if he were strutting around and calling himself a hero, he would stop being a hero? :confused: :D

No. Then he would be an idiot.

LH Panther Mom
01-20-2009, 07:13 AM
I'm glad you asked. I sat on my hands and didn't. :1omg!: ;)

piratebg
01-20-2009, 08:13 AM
Here is my hero :cool:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd29/calleighlynnecaine7/jzGwqVprY1utKPI6e2HLEQ66169.jpg

Ranger Mom
01-20-2009, 09:33 AM

Why not??

What else is there to do in the middle of January?

:D

slpybear the bullfan
01-20-2009, 10:04 AM

No. But it does "tend" to confirm a hero. Hard to explain, but I have spent lots of time with honest to goodness heroes... (everyday joes that did INCREDIBLE things in the military). Never met one yet that bragged about it.

Anywho...

Txbroadcaster
01-20-2009, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
No. But it does "tend" to confirm a hero. Hard to explain, but I have spent lots of time with honest to goodness heroes... (everyday joes that did INCREDIBLE things in the military). Never met one yet that bragged about it.

Anywho...

yea, usually they dont want to talk about it at all

Farmersfan
01-20-2009, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

HERO:
"in the face of danger and adversity or from a position of weakness, display courage and the will for self sacrifice"
"(a): mythological or legendary figure often of divine descent endowed with great strength or ability (b): an illustrious warrior (c): a man admired for his achievements and noble qualities (d): one that shows great courage"

piratebg
01-20-2009, 10:23 AM
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd29/calleighlynnecaine7/jzGwqVprY1utKPI6e2HLEQ66169.jpg

Originally posted by Farmersfan
HERO:
"in the face of danger and adversity or from a position of weakness, display courage and the will for self sacrifice"
"(a): mythological or legendary figure often of divine descent endowed with great strength or ability (b): an illustrious warrior (c): a man admired for his achievements and noble qualities (d): one that shows great courage"