PDA

View Full Version : Just Got Laid Off!!!!!!!!!!

ILS1
01-19-2009, 02:50 PM
I've been at this job for almost 5 years. It has finally taken it's toll on our company. We make Assemblies and Sub-Assemblies for the Semiconductor industry. Which everyone knows is in the tank right now. Some of our biggest customers are Applied Materials,Varian and Novellus. Our company has laid off almost more than 1/2 of it's workforce today. I'm kinda relieved because the hours were just plain CRAZY day to day. I'll be ok. They are calling it a 16 week furlough. Which means they can call us back in those 16 weeks. We still have all our benefits until then and can get unemployment. Or we can deny the furlough and get a package!! I think I'm gonna do the latter and get a package. Because they might not have any money at the end of the 16 weeks!!! You will be seeing more of me on here!!!

:D :D :D :eek: :eek: :eek:

DDBooger
01-19-2009, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by ILS1
I think I'm gonna do the latter and get a package. :eek: lmao

glad you're taking it well :) good luck

Ranger Mom
01-19-2009, 02:53 PM
I've been at this job for almost 5 years. It has finally taken it's toll on our company. We make Assemblies and Sub-Assemblies for the Semiconductor industry. Which everyone knows is in the tank right now. Some of our biggest customers are Applied Materials,Varian and Novellus. Our company has laid off almost more than 1/2 of it's workforce today. I'm kinda relieved because the hours were just plain CRAZY day to day. I'll be ok. They are calling it a 16 week furlough. Which means they can call us back in those 16 weeks. We still have all our benefits until then and can get unemployment. Or we can deny the furlough and get a package!! I think I'm gonna do the latter and get a package. Because they might not have any money at the end of the 16 weeks!!! You will be seeing more of me on here!!!

Bummer...or Congrats!!

After reading your post, I'm not sure what sentiment to use!!:)

Old Green
01-19-2009, 02:54 PM

:D :D :D :eek: :eek: :eek: Sorry to hear about your misfortune. it's happening a lot. Things will work out.

ILS1
01-19-2009, 02:58 PM
I'm on the way to meet some people who got laid off as well for a few drinks. We're going to Baby A's in North Austin!!! I'll drink one for y'all!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

piratebg
01-19-2009, 02:58 PM
I'm on the way to meet some people who got laid off as well for a few drinks. We're going to Baby A's in North Austin!!! I'll drink one for y'all!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

Great margaritas there. Have fun. :p

underware
01-19-2009, 03:06 PM
good luck. Maybe you can flip burgers with me at the DQ? There's always work there.

Johnny Utah
01-19-2009, 03:17 PM
Sorry to hear and good luck, with the Margs that is. Still only let you have 2 limit???

Trashman
01-19-2009, 03:19 PM

Damn!:(

87 TIGER
01-19-2009, 05:51 PM
I'm always looking for help, but of coarse I don't pay much. Maybe thats why i'm always looking for help. anyway good luck hope it works out for you.

pirate4state
01-19-2009, 07:00 PM
ILS1 - that sucks, but it seems you have a positive attitude about it all.

Originally posted by Johnny Utah
Sorry to hear and good luck, with the Margs that is. Still only let you have 2 limit???

What is UP with the 2 limit?!?!?! Found that out in Liberty Hill back in October. MAJOR bummer :D

cameron91
01-19-2009, 07:37 PM
those good old days at applied material..:D ..I was laid off their back in 02 , found a job the next day and been here since then.

ISL -we just signed a huge contract with Futjisu ,that is supposed to increase our work load by 40%.so pm me, if you're looking for work..it's in north austin..

LH Panther Mom
01-19-2009, 08:24 PM
Crap, that sucks! Now I feel bad for the whining I've been doing recently over reduced hours. :(

ILS1
01-19-2009, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by cameron91
those good old days at applied material..:D ..I was laid off their back in 02 , found a job the next day and been here since then.

ISL -we just signed a huge contract with Futjisu ,that is supposed to increase our work load by 40%.so pm me, if you're looking for work..it's in north austin..

Check your PM's. I live in Round Rock, so that would be sweet!!!

:D :D :D :D

gobbler grad
01-19-2009, 08:45 PM
were laying off at my job also...feel sorry for these people that I have to let go...not alot of jobs in this area for industrial pipefitters, electricians, and maintenance mechanics...:( most of the plants are cutting back, since the demand is not there...some are going to 32 hr. weeks, which is better than getting the ax...hopefully the economy will change one day, but no one knows when...

hope you find something you like...:thinking::thinking:

cameron91
01-19-2009, 08:50 PM
just hit you back ...ISL.........

injuredinmelee
01-20-2009, 01:07 AM
the company I am with now laid off 4,000 nationwide this week. We only have 6 on staff at our location and they cut 2 of those jobs. I had the least amount of tenure but I guess I am so good they couldnt do without me... or maybe its they dont pay me jack squat... you decide but dont bust my bubble I am goign with the first one.