PDA

View Full Version : College Bowl Winners

Bullaholic
01-19-2009, 11:45 AM
So what did we learn about which college conference was the strongest after the bowls? I didn't do or see a summary of bowl victories by conference.

kepdawg
01-19-2009, 01:28 PM
The Pac 10 is the best conference.

Sweetwater Red
01-19-2009, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg

And the Big Ten is the worst.:(

waterboy
01-19-2009, 01:38 PM
Bwahahahahah! That's funny right there!

Emerson1
01-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
They did have the best record in bowl games, beating up on some b12 schools.

kepdawg
01-19-2009, 01:41 PM

It's true! I heard it on ESPN!

waterboy
01-19-2009, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
They did have the best record in bowl games, beating up on some b12 schools.
How many teams did they have in bowl games? I know USC and Oregon, but who else won?

kepdawg
01-19-2009, 01:46 PM
How many teams did they have in bowl games? I know USC and Oregon, but who else won?

Arizona, Cal, and Oregon State I believe.

waterboy
01-19-2009, 02:07 PM
Arizona beat BYU 31-21
Oregon beat Oklahoma State 42-31
Oregon State beat Pittsburgh 3-0
USC beat Penn State 38-24
California beat Miami 24-17

Good record, but I ain't impressed with any of the wins except for Oregon and USC. The rest of the wins are less than impressive, to me at least. That and the only win over a Big 12 team was the Oregon win over Oklahoma State - which is probably the 3rd or 4th best team in the Big 12. I'm sorry, I just don't see the Pac 10 as being the strongest.

Keith7
01-19-2009, 02:20 PM
I'm sorry, I just don't see the Pac 10 as being the strongest.

of course now because you are biased

Pick6
01-19-2009, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Keith7

I guess you're the only one on this board that isn't biased :rolleyes:

Keith7
01-19-2009, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
I guess you're the only one on this board that isn't biased :rolleyes:

you are right! :clap:

waterboy
01-19-2009, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
I'm not being biased. I'm looking at it objectively, and not showing any preference for any conference. I never said the Big 12 was the best, mainly because I ain't sure I could validate any argument. I just don't see any proof that the PAC 10 is the strongest. I'm just like anybody else who doubts the BCS, I'd like to see proof. If someone says one conference is stronger than another then they should be able to prove it. Just because one conference won all 5 bowl appearances doesn't make them the strongest conference. You have to look at the strength of the competition if that's all we have to go by. Unfortunately, that's all we have to go by in this case. I don't agree with ESPN, or anybody else, who says the PAC 10 is the strongest conference, and that's all I'm saying.

Gators17
01-19-2009, 02:41 PM
SEC is the strongest conference, the end. The Big 12 showed it's lack of defense in the National Championship when Oklahoma had a streak of 6 straight games of over 60 points and then they play a good defense and are only able to put up 14. Pac 10 is the second best conference, but only because USC is in it. The Big Ten and Big 12 are fighting for weakest conference.

waterboy
01-19-2009, 02:49 PM
SEC is probably the strongest conference, followed by the Big 12, then the PAC 10. That's the way I see it.

DDBooger
01-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Gators17
SEC is the strongest conference, the end. The Big 12 showed it's lack of defense in the National Championship when Oklahoma had a streak of 6 straight games of over 60 points and then they play a good defense and are only able to put up 14. Pac 10 is the second best conference, but only because USC is in it. The Big Ten and Big 12 are fighting for weakest conference. are you as dumb as you sound. just cause you bandwagon Florida, obviously doesn't make you a good evaluator. one conference cause of one team? lmao

Daddy D 11
01-19-2009, 02:59 PM
SEC is the strongest conference, the end. The Big 12 showed it's lack of defense in the National Championship when Oklahoma had a streak of 6 straight games of over 60 points and then they play a good defense and are only able to put up 14. Pac 10 is the second best conference, but only because USC is in it. The Big Ten and Big 12 are fighting for weakest conference.

The big 12 did not show it's lack of defense in the National Championship game, OKLAHOMA did.
If you really want to even call it a lack of defense... Florida only scored 3 TD's.

waterboy
01-19-2009, 03:05 PM
Actually, I am impressed with Florida, along with Ole Miss and Alabama (up until they played Florida). LSU was down this year, but they're usually in the hunt. Top to bottom, you COULD make an argument for the SEC. If Oklahoma hadn't have layed an egg, I don't think you would find much of an argument that the Big 12 was the strongest. In fact, I'm still not sure it's not the strongest from top to bottom.

eagleqb_14
01-19-2009, 06:58 PM
The Pac 10 is the best conference. the Pac 10 ya right more like the big 12

eagleqb_14
01-19-2009, 06:59 PM
BIG 12 ALL THA WAY

cshscougar08
01-19-2009, 07:19 PM
Based sheerly on the bowls, I don't feel like one conference distinguished itself from the others. I feel that the one that impressed me most was Mountain West because of TCU and Utah. Yes BYU lost to Arizona, but TCU and Utah both were extremely impressive in their wins. You can argue both ways on the Big 12 and SEC. There are great teams in both and not so great teams in both. I will agree that it is between those two, but not sure that either really stood out from the other in the bowl season.

JasperDog94
01-19-2009, 10:32 PM
Bowl victories do not determine who the best conference is. The bowls themselves are basicily a season within a season. Way too much time passes to give a true assessment. Plus you have to look at what places the teams finished in their respective conferences. It the number 2 team beat the number 6 team from another conference it doesn't mean that their conference is better.

I believe the mountain west was 5-1 or 6-1 against the pac 10 in the regular season.

Gators17
01-25-2009, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
The big 12 did not show it's lack of defense in the National Championship game, OKLAHOMA did.
If you really want to even call it a lack of defense... Florida only scored 3 TD's.

Yes, the big 12 showed it's lack of defense. Oklahoma put up 60+ points in 6 straight games leading up to the National Championship, correct? All of those games being against Big 12 opponents, correct? ;)

Gators17
01-25-2009, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
are you as dumb as you sound. just cause you bandwagon Florida, obviously doesn't make you a good evaluator. one conference cause of one team? lmao
First off, I didn't/don't bandwagon Florida, my father attended that University so I've always loved the school. You making these random @$$ assumptions as to me bandwagoning a team does nothing but show that you are a complete and utter idiot. And the reason the SEC is the best conference, in my opinion of course you idiot, is because they had Alabama, who was the #1 team in the nation for the majority of the season, they had the #1 pre-season ranked team in the nation in Georgia, and they also have the current national champion and #1 team in Florida. Having three different number 1's in the same season constitutes you as a pretty damn good, and the best conference in the land. I would love to hear your response to this.

DDBooger
01-25-2009, 03:28 PM
First off, I didn't/don't bandwagon Florida, my father attended that University so I've always loved the school. You making these random @$$ assumptions as to me bandwagoning a team does nothing but show that you are a complete and utter idiot. And the reason the SEC is the best conference, in my opinion of course you idiot, is because they had Alabama, who was the #1 team in the nation for the majority of the season, they had the #1 pre-season ranked team in the nation in Georgia, and they also have the current national champion and #1 team in Florida. Having three different number 1's in the same season constitutes you as a pretty damn good, and the best conference in the land. I would love to hear your response to this. my response? Simple, reread your post, look at my comment, understand you stated PAC-10 is second best because of one team, then realize you're the "idiot" for spouting that long diatribe about something I wasn't even questioning, genius ;)

Gators17
01-25-2009, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
my response? Simple, reread your post, look at my comment, understand you stated PAC-10 is second best because of one team, then realize you're the "idiot" for spouting that long diatribe about something I wasn't even questioning, genius ;)
You're starting to sound dumber, and dumber each time you post so I won't ask for a response this time. You state something about me "bandwagoning" Florida, and the very next thing you say is me basing my decision off one team. You never mentioned anything about the PAC-10, all you said was something about Florida so I figured you were talking about the SEC.

DDBooger
01-25-2009, 04:23 PM
You're starting to sound dumber, and dumber each time you post so I won't ask for a response this time. You state something about me "bandwagoning" Florida, and the very next thing you say is me basing my decision off one team. You never mentioned anything about the PAC-10, all you said was something about Florida so I figured you were talking about the SEC. realizing you inability to deduce things, you calling me dumb is hardly insulting and just another example of your limitations. Haha later gator!

pirate4state
01-25-2009, 04:24 PM
both of you sound stupid, now knock it off

booger remember the college rules

gators i realize you are fairly new, but these kind of posts "you're stupid....no you are...no, but really you're an idiot" in college related topics is why college talk was suspended for awhile

so, knock it off or take it up in private messages

DDBooger
01-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
both of you sound stupid, now knock it off

booger remember the college rules

gators i realize you are fairly new, but these kind of posts "you're stupid....no you are...no, but really you're an idiot" in college related topics is why college talk was suspended for awhile

so, knock it off or take it up in private messages I was wrong to have flamed him in the first place, you're right p4s, sorry gator, but some of your opinions :doh: but opinions are what they are.

District303aPastPlayer
01-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Bowl victories do not determine who the best conference is. The bowls themselves are basicily a season within a season. Way too much time passes to give a true assessment. Plus you have to look at what places the teams finished in their respective conferences. It the number 2 team beat the number 6 team from another conference it doesn't mean that their conference is better.

I believe the mountain west was 5-1 or 6-1 against the pac 10 in the regular season.

They were 5-1 in the regular season against the Pac-10.. Also, if you take USC out of the Pac-10, I would pretty much say that the MWC would run rough-shod all over the remaining schools...