PDA

View Full Version : Navasota's Pratt headed to Oklahoma State, coach says

HEMOTOXIC
01-19-2009, 08:58 AM
http://www.brazossports.com/football/Navasota-s-Pratt-headed-to-Oklahoma-State--coach-says

Navasota running back Dexter Pratt picked Oklahoma State on Sunday, a week after backing out of his longtime commitment to Louisiana State.

Pratt, rated the No. 15 prospect in the state by Rivals.com, visited Stillwater, Okla., over the weekend and committed to OSU coaches.

"Dexter Pratt will be an Oklahoma State Cowboy," Navasota coach Lee Fedora said after meeting with Pratt and his family Sunday night. "He is a solid verbal commitment. He's not taking any other visits. He liked the school and the facilities, and he was very impressed with coach [Mike] Gundy and his assistant coaches."

Fedora said Oklahoma State officials are working so that Pratt, who graduated from Navasota High School in December, will be able to enroll at OSU this week and participate in spring practices. If Pratt is not able to enroll by this week's deadline, Fedora said he will report to Stillwater in June.

Pratt made an oral commitment to LSU in March and made his only official recruiting trip there. The Navasota star went to Baton Rouge, La., with plans to start the spring semester at LSU, but returned home and said he was considering other schools along with LSU.

Fedora denied reports that Pratt changed his commitment because of academic concerns. Fedora said the change of heart does not reflect poorly on Pratt.

"He decided he wanted to venture out and look, and he found the right place for him," Fedora said. "I think it was completely impressive that he was committed to [LSU] and never went to any other school all the way up to the day he was going to be enrolled.

"Dexter Pratt is so much more than his numbers. The most impressive thing is how he's grown up into a good young man."

The 6-foot-2, 227-pound Pratt was recruited by most major college football programs. Among the early suitors for Pratt were Nebraska, Southern Mississippi, Texas and Texas A&M.

Last season, Pratt rushed for 1,352 yards and 19 touchdowns on 180 carries to help the Rattlers reach the quarterfinal round of the Class 3A Division I playoffs. Pratt was the focal point of the Navasota offense as a junior, rushing for 2,054 yards and 20 touchdowns.

IHStangFan
01-19-2009, 11:55 AM
:clap: ANYTHING'S better than LSU! Way to go Pratt!! :clap:

Bull's-eye
01-19-2009, 12:06 PM
My source was right on! ;)

I. B. Watching
01-19-2009, 12:44 PM
Is Fedora's brother a coach at Okie State?

HEMOTOXIC
01-19-2009, 08:41 PM
Good Luck to DP!:clap:

I. B. Watching
01-19-2009, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
No, he's at Southern Miss.

OK, thanks, he's a heck of a coach

duckhunter
01-20-2009, 10:12 AM
picked a hell of a time to venture off to look at other schools. i disagree 100% with fedora. imo it says alot about him backing out at the very last possible second. he had 4 yrs to look at different schools.

Txbroadcaster
01-20-2009, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by duckhunter
picked a hell of a time to venture off to look at other schools. i disagree 100% with fedora. imo it says alot about him backing out at the very last possible second. he had 4 yrs to look at different schools.

At the end of the day it is up to the kid to make the best decison for him. Somestimes they change their mind.

worldbfree
01-20-2009, 11:30 AM
WOW! That could be damaging to their basketball team if he leaves at the semester??

NastySlot
01-20-2009, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by worldbfree
WOW! That could be damaging to their basketball team if he leaves at the semester??

i don't think he has been playing.

I. B. Watching
01-20-2009, 11:38 AM
I have a hard time getting mad at a kid for wanting to change schools, especially since a coach can recruit a kid and leave. I'm sure the recruiting process is pretty overwhelming for the studs. IF things with LSU didn't feel right, then he should go somewhere else. I'd rather him do it this way, than like so many others who pack up and leave after a year or two because they don't like being second string and can't beat out the starter.

OldBison75
01-20-2009, 04:09 PM
This was a situation where Pratt received his diploma at mid year to enroll in college and attend spring practices. He went to LSU and before the first day of classes, he found that he was not happy that he had been told things during recruiting that the coaches were now not honoring. He returned to Navasota and met with family and coaches and decided to look around--even if it meant missing spring practices. Oklahoma State and others immediately offered scholarships and he made a choice. OK State runs the same offense he was in at Navasota and he is very comfortable with the coaching staff. He never really had considered anyone besides LSU before this event---but Pratt is an intelligent young man with great character and decided the prospect of spending 4 years at an institution that lied to him before the fist day was not acceptable.

I wish him good luck and expect him to be a future star on the Cowboy roster.

HEMOTOXIC
01-20-2009, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by duckhunter

Obviously, you dont know the situation he was in at LSU.

bigYoe
01-20-2009, 04:22 PM
So what exactly did the coaches lie to him about at LSU. Honestly it doesnt really matter, right now is more of a building period for LSU.

LH Panther Mom
01-20-2009, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Besides, colleges lie to and screw kids around all the time. Nothing wrong with the kid looking out for #1. The schools sure's hell are.
I'll have to agree with that!

Best of luck to him at OSU. :)

navscanmaster
01-20-2009, 07:22 PM
I am not surprised, especially since LSU signed a good crop of running backs. One is almost a home town boy who was ranked higher than Dexter on the recruiting list. They may have had plans for Dexter to switch exclusively to defense, which was my fear from the beginning. Dexter loves to tote the ball, and if you have ever seen a game where he gets at least 20 carries, you know that he is one of the best at it in the high school ranks. Being that OSU runs the same kind of spread NHS runs, Dexter should be able to fit right in to this offense. I am glad OSU gets more televised games now than in the past, it will be exciting to watch him and Brandal in the coming years giving defenses fits!

OldBison75
01-22-2009, 09:09 PM
Just an update, KBTX TV (KBTX.COM) is reporting that Pratt has cleared the NCAA review and is set to enroll and start classes at OK State tomorrow. And, the coaches there are thrilled to have him in thier camp.

AggiesAreWe
01-23-2009, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by OldBison75
Just an update, KBTX TV (KBTX.COM) is reporting that Pratt has cleared the NCAA review and is set to enroll and start classes at OK State tomorrow. And, the coaches there are thrilled to have him in thier camp.

Good for Dexter. Now he can come up to Stillwater and join one of our Silsbee Tigers up there, defensive tackle Ahmad Jones.