PDA

View Full Version : UIL Events Moving Out of Austin?

3afan
01-18-2009, 09:03 AM
Bill Would Rotate UIL Events Out of Austin
BY LEE NICHOLS, Austin Chronicle

Every year, the battle cry for high school athletes across the state is "Austin or bust!" That's because in every sport except football – as well as in many academic, theatrical, and music events – the University Interscholastic League annually holds its championship competitions in the Austin area, often on the University of Texas campus.

That cry may have to change if the Lucio family has its way. Companion bills – House Bill 68 filed by Rep. Eddie Lucio III and Senate Bill 101 filed by his father, Sen. Eddie Lucio Jr., both of Brownsville – would bar the UIL (the governing body for public school competitions in Texas) from hosting "regional or statewide" competitions in the same location in consecutive years.

That could have a huge economic impact on Austin. The events bring thousands of athletes, coaches, parents, and others to the capital city, meaning hotel bookings, restaurant sales, and shopping dollars. According to the Austin Convention & Visitors Bureau, the total economic impact of the UIL basketball tournaments each March is $19.2 million. The boys teams draw 108,000 visitors and $11 million; the girls bring 38,000 visitors and $8.2 million. The state track meet brings an estimated 40,000 people and $8 million to town.

"The Rio Grande Valley for many, many years has been bypassed, simply because we did not, for a very long time, have the facilities," said Lucio III. "But with the economic growth, the economic development, we have so much to offer the state now. [Holding the events annually in Austin] also has an undue burden as far as costs for our school districts, for busing and hotels every year for our students, and then parents, also, having to take off from work and travel to Austin every year."

Asked what the UIL thinks of the proposal, spokeswoman Kim Rogers said that as state employees, she and other UIL staffers are prohibited from expressing an opinion on the legislation. However, listening to Rogers describe the logistics of hosting the events, it's probably a safe bet that the UIL would not enjoy the headaches of moving them from city to city. "Essentially, it would mean that we would have to move every activity every year," Rogers said. "I guess [there would be] a financial impact in just going to a new site, traveling for our staff and participants to different locations, making sure we have the same kind of accommodations. It could lead to the fact that maybe there will not be another facility in the state that could accommodate."

The Lucios leave a loophole for that last point: The bill stipulates that an event may only be held at a site if "the infrastructure and capacity of the location's facilities are sufficient to serve the needs of the competition" and that a location may be used in consecutive years "if an alternative location is not available."

The other areas of the state aren't necessarily being bypassed due to lack of facilities. Rather, Rogers says, state events have long been held here because "we are part of the University of Texas. We host a number of activities on campus at UT facilities because we are a department of UT, and we are centrally located in the state, so it makes it easier for participants traveling to state competitions. There are a number of reasons why we have our events in the places that we do. It's not arbitrary. There is some thought behind them." _

UIL State Competition Sites
Tennis: Penick-Allison Tennis Center (UT) and Lakeway World of Tennis
Cross Country: Old Settlers Park (Round Rock)
Volleyball: Strahan Coliseum (Texas State University)
Swimming & Diving: Jamail Texas Swimming Center (UT)
Wrestling: AISD Delco Center
Basketball: Erwin Center (UT)
Soccer: Round Rock Independent School District Athletic Stadium
Golf: Austin, various courses
Track & Field: Mike A. Myers Track and Soccer Stadium (UT)
Softball: McCombs Field (UT)
Baseball: Disch-Falk Field (UT) and Dell Diamond (Round Rock)
State Marching Band: Alamodome (San Antonio)
Some other music competitions: Austin area, including UT

STANG RED
01-18-2009, 10:49 AM
I would like to say that this will never fly, but we are talking about the UIL, so anything could happen. But who would really want to go to the Rio Grand valley for state competitions except for those people who live there? This would be rediculous travel for every other Region. Austin just make sense for state competitions becuase of its geographic location and facilities to handle them.

3afan
01-18-2009, 11:13 AM
Waco/College Station would work ...

GreenMonster
01-18-2009, 11:33 AM
If this passes, expect El Paso to want some of this action as well. There will be some rediculous travel involved for these things.

mwynn05
01-18-2009, 11:53 AM
I kind of understand what they are saying and kind of like the novelty to it but i just dont see it happening unless THSCA gets behind it then it might have a chance of passing

Trashman
01-18-2009, 12:02 PM
I could see this bill passing if it limited the travel to up and down I-35 from DFW to San Antonio. No way will schools want to travel to the far corners of the state. :rolleyes:

mwynn05
01-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
I could see this bill passing if it limited the travel to up and down I-35 from DFW to San Antonio. No way will schools want to travel to the far corners of the state. :rolleyes: They should just have the school districts or coaches vote on it every year if it were to pass

STANG RED
01-18-2009, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
Waco/College Station would work ...

It would be fine for all but Region I. It would suck for us.
Austin just makes the most sense for lots of reasons.
Why are people always trying to fix those few things that arent broken, instead of the many things that are?:mad:

Manck
01-18-2009, 02:44 PM
I like half of the legislation... the half that says "regional" can't be held in the same place on consecutive years.

The way regions can change every other year, this would make lots of sense. There's no reason that the 2A teams in the Texarkana area should have to drive to Stephenville for regionals every year.

For most sports, there are plenty of places within a region that could host competition at the regional level.

State should stay as is though... it just makes sense as its centrally located and the UIL is an entity of the university.

NastySlot
01-18-2009, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Manck
I like half of the legislation... the half that says "regional" can't be held in the same place on consecutive years.

The way regions can change every other year, this would make lots of sense. There's no reason that the 2A teams in the Texarkana area should have to drive to Stephenville for regionals every year.

For most sports, there are plenty of places within a region that could host competition at the regional level.

State should stay as is though... it just makes sense as its centrally located and the UIL is an entity of the university.

i agree with you austin is a great site for championships or really anything along I35....it should be the regionals that rotate.

Johnny Utah
01-18-2009, 03:10 PM
If you have never been to the State Basketball Tournament held at the Erwin Center in Austin, you need to go. Great place, great atmosphere and reason why soo many schools and players dream of playing there. Would be a shame if it changed due to some politicians. Makes zero sense. Have never heard of the Canyon girls, or Nazareth boys complaining of driving to Austin to play in the State Tourney. What dreams are made of.

DDBooger
01-18-2009, 03:18 PM
I heard Disch Falk looks magnificent now after all the renovation. anyone seen it lately?

NastySlot
01-18-2009, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
If you have never been to the State Basketball Tournament held at the Erwin Center in Austin, you need to go. Great place, great atmosphere and reason why soo many schools and players dream of playing there. Would be a shame if it changed due to some politicians. Makes zero sense. Have never heard of the Canyon girls, or Nazareth boys complaining of driving to Austin to play in the State Tourney. What dreams are made of.

i have been and you're right basketball should remain there....i once thought the alamodome would be a better site as far as seating....but i believe in tradition..........i didn't care too much when they moved baseball to round rock.

Bull Butter
01-18-2009, 04:46 PM
I live in the RGV and this is the first I've heard of moving the State tournament events.

There has been a movement down here the past few years, however, amongst the 4A & 5A schools to move the Region IV events out of San Antonio.

DDBooger
01-18-2009, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
I live in the RGV and this is the first I've heard of moving the State tournament events.

There has been a movement down here the past few years, however, amongst the 4A & 5A schools to move the Region IV events out of San Antonio. I know now that Calallen has renovated it's stadium, increased capacity and added artificial turf, the school district is hoping to attract games that are normally played in kingsville, buc and victoria

IHStangFan
01-18-2009, 04:55 PM
:rolleyes:

DDBooger
01-18-2009, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan

IHStangFan
01-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DDBooger
01-18-2009, 05:07 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

IHStangFan
01-18-2009, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :blahblah: :thmbdwn:

DDBooger
01-18-2009, 05:13 PM
:blahblah: :thmbdwn:
:1offtopc: :thumbsup:

SintonFan_inAustin
01-18-2009, 05:26 PM
:blahblah: :thmbdwn: :doh: :rolleyes:

But Austin is the best place for Basketball and Baseball as far as venue and distance from all regions.

kaorder1999
01-18-2009, 05:38 PM
nm

JR2004
01-18-2009, 06:00 PM
Leave it to some goobers from the valley to come up with something this ridiculous.

kaorder1999
01-18-2009, 06:03 PM
if its working now, why change it?

pirate4state
01-18-2009, 06:27 PM
just keep everything in austin

kaorder1999
01-18-2009, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
just keep everything in austin

amen

Electus Unus
01-18-2009, 06:29 PM
It is rumored through the grapevine that DKR Texas Memorial Stadium is going to get the new field turf on the field. Maybe they are thinking of hosting more high school games and even state championships. I don't think they should move the state games which are held in Austin away because Austin is a great town and it is in the middle of the state so it is fair towards the teams who play there. I hate when state championships against Dallas and Houston teams are played in one of those town and the other team has to travel 3+ hours to play in essentially a home game.

mwynn05
01-18-2009, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Electus Unus
It is rumored through the grapevine that DKR Texas Memorial Stadium is going to get the new field turf on the field. Maybe they are thinking of hosting more high school games and even state championships. I don't think they should move the state games which are held in Austin away because Austin is a great town and it is in the middle of the state so it is fair towards the teams who play there. I hate when state championships against Dallas and Houston teams are played in one of those town and the other team has to travel 3+ hours to play in essentially a home game. like this years 5a games

IHStangFan
01-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
:doh: :rolleyes:

But Austin is the best place for Basketball and Baseball as far as venue and distance from all regions. :lies: :kiss:

CueroDad08
01-18-2009, 07:24 PM
As crazy as the UIL is at times. I cant see them doing something that crazy. To make 90% of the Teams and fans travel to the valley would be very Dumb. Ausin or someplace close to austin would be the best and only way to go.

Rabid Cougar
01-18-2009, 07:25 PM
I would change the law to say that all football championships are to be played in Waco for my convenience.

More logical than Reliant or Alamodome

Gontex
01-19-2009, 05:31 AM
How about moving Region IV 3A regional events out of Kingsville. Have you ever tried to get a room in that town when regional events are being held there? Next to impossible if you haven't made reservations three to four months in advance. Most people end up having to drive in to town from Corpus.

ol country boy
01-19-2009, 08:59 AM
Already done. 3a is out of kingsville...moving to corpus this year...

pirate4state
01-19-2009, 12:23 PM
sweet