PDA

View Full Version : Texas'Garrido suspended following arrest

kepdawg
01-17-2009, 02:56 PM
Texas'Garrido suspended following arrest

01:27 PM CST on Saturday, January 17, 2009

By CHUCK CARLTON / The Dallas Morning News
ccarlton@dallasnews.com

Texas baseball coach Augie Garrido has been placed on indefinite suspension following a driving while intoxicated arrest early today in Austin.

Details were still sketchy and a police report was not immediately available.

In a statement, Texas athletic director DeLoss Dodds said the suspension, with pay, is pending while the university gathers more information. An interim replacement has not yet been named for Garrido, the winningest coach in NCAA Division I history. The Longhorns began play Feb. 20 against Illinois-Chicago.

"This is a difficult and regrettable situation that we are taking very seriously," Dodds said in a statement. "I spoke with coach Garrido and he's devastated and realizes he made a serious mistake. He deeply regrets putting the university in this position and will act quickly to do what's right."

Garrido, 69, has won five overall NCAA championships, including two at Texas, the second highest total behind the 10 by Southern California's Rod Dedeaux. In 39 seasons as a coach coach, including the past 11 at Texas, Garrido has compiled an overall record of 1,629-755-8.

LINK (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/011809dnspotexasgarrido.2a3fcce.html)

It shouldn't take too long to get this one shut down.

Daddy D 11
01-17-2009, 05:08 PM
Dang. That's no bueno, I love Augie. I was a bat boy for 2 years when I was 11 and 12

Phil C
01-17-2009, 08:03 PM
:(