PDA

View Full Version : Do most 3A districts do this?

catgut
01-17-2009, 08:56 AM
We are new to 3A so I'm not sure if it's common practice or not. Our district is playing varsity girls game before the varsity boys game. Our freshmen and JV boys have to play in different gym. We've always had freshman, then JV then Varsity.
While I did like watching the girls play, I'd rather watch the younger boys to see the talent that's going to be up in a year or two.
Do most districts do this?

CelinaCatFan
01-17-2009, 09:02 AM
Yes, it is common if teams do not have a second gym (practice gym) on their high school campus.

I know last night our Freshman and JV boys played at the middle school and the JV girls, Varsity girls, and Varsity boys played at the high school.

Looking4number8
01-17-2009, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by CelinaCatFan
Yes, it is common if teams do not have a second gym (practice gym) on their high school campus.

I know last night our Freshman and JV boys played at the middle school and the JV girls, Varsity girls, and Varsity boys played at the high school.

We even did it this way while we were in 4A. I assumed it is common practice. For the most part I like it. What I don't like about it is the girls that have fought for years to get to the varsity level seem to get 2nd billing and not the "main show" atmosphere like they do in all other sports.

catgut
01-17-2009, 09:21 AM
When we were in 4A if we were playing a school on the road, the girls would be playing that school at home most of the time. A lot of people not able to go out of town would still support the girls team.
I agree the girls need to be supported also. As for as I can remember back we've just never did it this way and didn't know if most 3A districts did.

MN95
01-17-2009, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by CelinaCatFan

As I understand it, our JV will alternate, so next home game the JV boys play before the 2 varsity teams.

pirate4state
01-17-2009, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
We even did it this way while we were in 4A. I assumed it is common practice. For the most part I like it. What I don't like about it is the girls that have fought for years to get to the varsity level seem to get 2nd billing and not the "main show" atmosphere like they do in all other sports. That's the only part that sucks. Lucky for us our gyms are right next to each other and you can watch all the games you want.

Our JV boys play at 5, followed by our Varsity girls & Varsity boys in the main gym. JV Girls, Freshman Boys & Girls play in the 2nd gym, I think. LOL

I usually don't show up until 6:30 ish, unless I have to sell shirts. :(

cshscougar08
01-17-2009, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Our JV boys play at 5, followed by our Varsity girls & Varsity boys in the main gym. JV Girls, Freshman Boys & Girls play in the 2nd gym, I think. LOL

That's the way we do it. Except the JV guys and girls sometime switch being in the main gym.

pirate4state
01-17-2009, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
That's the way we do it. Except the JV guys and girls sometime switch being in the main gym. Now that you mention it, we might do the same thing.

mwynn05
01-17-2009, 12:12 PM
no one is ever going to go to the girls game if the boys aren't playin after it unless your girls are pretty good

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-17-2009, 12:31 PM
Yeah when I was on JV we always played at the same time as our Varsity girls and they were good so no one ever watched us.

HEMOTOXIC
01-17-2009, 01:17 PM
Navasota is doing that this year; its good that all the teams are playing at the same location, but I agree with many, I do enjoy seeing the up and coming talent. So, I watch the boys JV at 5 in the second gym, the varsity girls at 6 in the New Snake Pit and the Varisty boys follow after the varisity girls.

Being in 3A, I have noticed alot of differences from when I was in school and playing in 4A. Im not sure if it is just a change in times or just because it is a 3a thing.

kepdawg
01-17-2009, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by MN95
As I understand it, our JV will alternate, so next home game the JV boys play before the 2 varsity teams.

Why didn't they build multiple gyms at the high school?

kepdawg
01-17-2009, 01:48 PM
Denison's district (9-4A) does this.

The Colony's district has done it. They did it the latter years they were in 5A and if you wanted a seat for the boys' game you needed to get there by halftime of the girls' game.

MN95
01-17-2009, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Why didn't they build multiple gyms at the high school?

The second gym is under construction right now. I think it was supposed to be completed first part of January, but not done yet. So, they are playing at the old high school gym.

venomous tat2
01-17-2009, 03:43 PM
2 things 1. gas prices at the time when dist's were having their dist meetings for scheduling 2. jv games are being played first because most jv coaches are the varsity asst coach as well and don't have enough time to asst the head coach before the varisty game. My guys were upset at first because they thought they would'nt get to play in the main gym but I explained to them that it would flip over the 2nd half of dist . On the boys side we don't have that problem our head coach has an asst coach as well as a jv coach and a fr coach so does the girls progam .Our boys head coach and asst coach are home grown , they started in the back court togather on our 90 state team .:)

kepdawg
01-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by venomous tat2
2. jv games are being played first because most jv coaches are the varsity asst coach as well and don't have enough time to asst the head coach before the varisty game.

:confused:

LH Panther Mom
01-17-2009, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by catgut
When we were in 4A if we were playing a school on the road, the girls would be playing that school at home most of the time. A lot of people not able to go out of town would still support the girls team.

We did that in 18-3A. That's the only time in the past 8-9 years that we've had it where boys/girls played different locations. We do have a "back" gym that is used in addition to the main gym.

SintonFan_inAustin
01-17-2009, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
That's the only part that sucks. Lucky for us our gyms are right next to each other and you can watch all the games you want.

I usually don't show up until 6:30 ish, unless I have to sell shirts. :( i hadnt been to a district basketball game in a while, usually waited if they made the playoffs. Back when i played it was F,JV and then Varisty, if boys played away the girls played at home and vice versa. Kind like this format as you get to see both Varisty teams.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-17-2009, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
We did that in 18-3A. That's the only time in the past 8-9 years that we've had it where boys/girls played different locations. We do have a "back" gym that is used in addition to the main gym.

The only way I've ever experienced it was the Frosh, JV, and Varsity boys played at one place and the girls played at the other location. We never mixed aside from the few times we played in Liberty Hill, I do remember that. Last time I went there for basketball we had tornadoes and everyone was freaking out.

buff4life
01-18-2009, 03:56 AM
i guess Giddings district is weird, in my life as far as i know the guys and girls rotate, either the girls are away and the guys are at home and vice versa...nothing on the same night following each other

catgut
01-18-2009, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by buff4life
i guess Giddings district is weird, in my life as far as i know the guys and girls rotate, either the girls are away and the guys are at home and vice versa...nothing on the same night following each other

That's the way we've did it for years regardless of which district we were in. This is a first for me.

KATS
01-18-2009, 09:18 AM
One of the biggest reasons for doing this is that now parents have a better chance of seeing their children play. If they have a daughter and son playing, now both parents can go to watch.