PDA

View Full Version : An e-mail chat with a HS Official

Old Cardinal
08-29-2002, 06:41 AM
I thought this dialogue exchange might the interesting to some...From: Old Cardinal "I have observed that the HS teams are holding more and more over the last 5 years! Also, pushing, mouthing, coersion is getting quite common after the plays are finished. Is it possible to WARN all Coaches and then proceed to get control of all of the games?......From: Official "In my opinion, the warnings, if you are going to give any, are given at the coaches meeting before the game. If you start the game off not tolerating the intimidation tactics, you will not have a problem with them later in the game...As for holding, the way it is called now is moving toward the pro style of calling it only at the point of attack. That is not the book but that is reality. Holding has been, and probably will continue to be, the most called penalty and the most not called penalty in the stats." From: Old Cardinal "Thank you for your prompt reply! I can only disagree with the move toward Pro-type calls by Officials. These are HS kids, there are explicate rules in the rule books and that should again become REALITY, in my humble opinion. As you are aware, many folks of my generation are disgusted enough to quit attending HS games because sportsmanship is not exhibited, all to often. Mr. XXXXXXX, I have done Prison Ministry, over the years: 1 in 5 Texans have now been incarcerated at some time! What better place, could a rough high-energy group of young men learn that you have to play-by-the-rules; than out on the gridiron? You guys could be doing them a great service to tighten the reins on both players and tragically, some immature Coaching!

[This message has been edited by Old Cardinal (edited August 29, 2002).]