PDA

View Full Version : China Spring OC recommended for hire as HC/AD at Clifton

trojan37
01-16-2009, 08:13 PM
Shawn Bell (http://www.wacotrib.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/communities/breakingnews/entries/2009/01/16/clifton_superintendent_will_re.html)

JR2004
01-16-2009, 08:35 PM
Not surprising that he'd go there since his dad was the head coach in Clifton before taking the Lampasas job in 1995.

trojan37
01-16-2009, 09:05 PM
Also a rumor our baseball coach is going there. I'm not quite sure on that one.

Johnny Utah
01-17-2009, 02:47 AM
He is young...but his Dad is a legend in Clifton. Stepping stone.

Rabid Cougar
01-18-2009, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by trojan37
Also a rumor our baseball coach is going there. I'm not quite sure on that one.

My sources are unaware of this rumor.
There are several CS coaches from Clifton that are former students of Mark Bell's though.

Rabid Cougar
01-19-2009, 09:02 AM
Not to be argumentative but when is the best age to take an AD job?

Eagle1
01-19-2009, 09:37 AM
When did the Clifton job come open?

ag4
01-19-2009, 01:26 PM
IF I'M NOT MISTAKEN, I BELIEVE FEDORA WAS 25 WHEN HE TOOK THE ROGERS JOB. WAS HE TO YOUNG?

Johnny Utah
01-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Some can handle the pressures no matter the age, some can not. In small towns like Clifton, winning will ease everything....key word is WINNING!!! That being said, I hope he does well and gives all the athletic programs a chance to be successful, all of them!!!

Rabid Cougar
01-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Dont turn this into a trial for Coach Bell. I simply stated an opinion. I dont know him from Adam, so no need to defend him.
But, if I had to give an age or amount of experience, Id say you'd need at least 10 years of actual varsity coaching experience. But, there have been exceptions. I know Chad Morris, now the HC at Lake Travis, got his first HC gig at the age of 24, and reached the state finals for the first time at age 27. But, he's said on many occasions that it was just by pure luck that he's even still coaching b/c he didn't have to face many of things that most HC/ADs have to deal with. Here's hoping that Shawn has the same kinda luck.

Naw I just worded it wrong. Should just been the question which you provided the answer for. Thanks

Johnny Utah
01-19-2009, 02:36 PM
True Bass, true. But if you look at San Augustines situation, it was a school board that was clueless and saw the error of their ways and brought him back. Miserable Wells I mean Mineral Wells....well enough said!!!

Johnny Utah
01-19-2009, 02:48 PM
Changes in school board politics in small towns hurt more so than in large districts is very true. Good luck to all. Tough job to coach, my friends are very couragous to do so. Hats off to them.

Rocket Dad
01-19-2009, 07:14 PM
I'd say 4-6 years is time enough to learn the ropes. However, the new Cubs coach will have his dad down the road to call on for advice, should make it easier. Tough district for football, good luck.

JR2004
01-19-2009, 09:08 PM
I first knew Shawn when he was in junior high at Lampasas and I was just finishing my freshman year of high school. Like most coaches kids he was there with his dad everyday during the summer, usually in the old gym playing basketball because it was right next to his dad's office. I still remember him coming into the old gym one day and he wanted me to swing him around in a circle. Anyhow I grab him by the hands and he lets his feet go and he's going around in a circle and flying through the air while I'm holding onto his hands. Unfortunately he let go and went flying halfway across the floor...lol. Tough kid though for how small he was at the time (He was really, really small). He got some floor burn, but got right back up.

I think Clifton is somewhat special to the Bell family for both good and sad memories. If I remember right Shawn's sister, who was 5 or so at the time, died in an accident in Clifton(I don't remember the specifics, but I remember him talking about it as well as the story in the newspaper about it). I remember Shawn's dad said that one of the best things about Lampasas when he got there was that we had the "LB" logo on the helmets. It was special to him because it was the same as his daughter's initials (Her name was Lyndsay.)...I hope that he does very well in Clifton.

Johnny Utah
01-20-2009, 08:43 AM
That was a tragic accident that would be very hard to overcome. Good luck to all.

Pick6
01-20-2009, 10:17 PM
It's official, Shawn has been hired.