PDA

View Full Version : San Angelo Central Football

WTF-82
01-16-2009, 06:36 PM
Central has hired a coach but want announce till tuesday morning so the new coach can talk to his team. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything any insides to who it is.

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-16-2009, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by ***-82
Central has hired a coach but want announce till tuesday morning so the new coach can talk to his team. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything any insides to who it is.

I haven't heard anything concrete but I hope they are ready for a bumpy ride.

WTF-82
01-16-2009, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
I haven't heard anything concrete but I hope they are ready for a bumpy ride.

I agree there tough job.

HM33
01-16-2009, 08:12 PM
I know that our head coach at TLU tried to get the job but didn't make the top three. I'm glad cuz he is a ..... lets just say I would never play/coach/talk to him again. :)

AAA87
01-16-2009, 10:41 PM
i know who it is and he is now coaching in south texas....great hire.....he will get them going again....

Sweetwater Red
01-16-2009, 10:43 PM

Isn't Central in like a ten team district?:confused:

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-16-2009, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by AAA87
i know who it is and he is now coaching in south texas....great hire.....he will get them going again....

I think other than talent pool it wouldn't be a bad job to have, good pay in a good town.

WTF-82
01-16-2009, 11:26 PM
I think other than talent pool it wouldn't be a bad job to have, good pay in a good town.

Central does not have the players yet overall but there is talent here in San Angelo. The problem is they dont learn nothing in the Jr High level and most of them quit and play baseball and Basketball. The last two years in the Jr high level all you saw is kids not coming of the Football popping straight up and so on.
The tradition was from back in the 60's. But they will have great facilities they have a great stadium a west texas town there is lots of potenial here another thing when this town wins the community really rallies around and gives them 100% support Central has a chance to succeed but it will takes some time the 8th grade class and so on have a chance to make a good season and playoff run with a good run program from what I have seen these kids just dont know how to work hard if they dont have dads or relatives or friends that will push them the extra mile they wont go get it themselves once they learn this they can get something done here. There is lot of kids in Angelo.

WTF-82
01-16-2009, 11:28 PM

give me his inicials. are they A.C. yes or no?

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-16-2009, 11:29 PM
give me his inicials. are they A.C. yes or no?

A.C. Slater?

WTF-82
01-16-2009, 11:30 PM
A.C. Slater?

saved by the bell

cr180t
01-16-2009, 11:31 PM
Who is it?

AAA87
01-16-2009, 11:45 PM
no ac is not his initials......ac has something to do with it though.....

WTF-82
01-16-2009, 11:58 PM
no ac is not his initials......ac has something to do with it though.....

Hook me up send me a P.M.

WTF-82
01-16-2009, 11:59 PM
Hook me up send me a P.M.

I CANT GO ALL WEEKEND WITHOUT YOU TELLING ME

lakers
01-17-2009, 12:32 AM
Does anybody know who the finalist were?

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-17-2009, 01:16 AM
This is the last article I saw:

CHS coach search intensifies
Central High School football
By Jeff Wick (Contact)
Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Turns out Santa and your in-laws weren't the only visitors to San Angelo over the holiday break.

Three candidates to fill the vacant Central High School head football coaching job came to town over the holidays to visit/interview with high-ranking members of the San Angelo school district.

Who are these three would-be saviors of a Bobcat football program that has lost 13 games in a row?

That's not a question SAISD Athletic Director Doug McCutchen is answering.

"We went out and found the best people we could find, and they were interested and agreed to talk with us as long as we kept it quiet," McCutchen said. "They are interested, but unofficially."

None of the three has even applied for the job yet (and they don't plan to unless they are selected for the job), which keeps the district from having to identify them publicly.

That also means that none of the front-runners for the job was among the 65 applicants whose names had to be released in mid-December when the district received a Freedom of Information request.

McCutchen said the three candidates who have been interviewed all come with credentials that should make Bobcat football fans excited. That pool of candidates could grow by one or two this week.

"They are all head coaches that made it to at least the third round of the playoffs this season," McCutchen said, adding that these three "finalists" all came from above the UIL Class 1A level.

All won 10 or more games in 2008, but none of the three won a state title this year.

"That would have made the choice easy," McCutchen said.

SAISD Superintendent Carol Ann Bonds, Central Principal Bill Waters, McCutchen and other administrators were all involved in the interview process with the three candidates.

McCutchen said he hopes to be able to present the final candidate to the school board for approval next week.

"We feel confident about where we are in the process," he said.

kepdawg
01-17-2009, 01:42 AM

I hope he does better than his last stop.

WTF-82
01-17-2009, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
I hope he does better than his last stop.

so you know who it is also. If so hook me up P>M>.

kepdawg
01-17-2009, 01:53 AM
so you know who it is also. If so hook me up P>M>.

I sent you what I don't know.

Johnny Utah
01-17-2009, 02:45 AM
AAA is correct, proven winner that can win there. Great hire for sure. Will cause lots of movement down south!!

Lonestars06
01-17-2009, 09:09 AM
Here is the problem bottom line. ASU FrisbeeStud is right, SAISD does not promote a tie to the middle schools. I don't understand why, this is the core to build a good program ie...Giddings, Odessa Permian, Celina, and Liberty Hill. Additionally, San Angelo Central historically tends to lean on the coach to play booster member's kids. Evident from the sterling record from last year. San Angelo Central does have a tremendous amount of talent, but most of the kids do not want to play. Why? It is because there is no reason to, the new coach whoever it is will need to do some serious rallying of kids and bring a breath of fresh of air to the school and the community. Just my take.

BwdLion_80
01-17-2009, 10:04 AM
Here is a list of the candidates that was in the SA paper from early Dec. If AC, from south Texas is the one, it most likely is Alan Cherry, based on this list.

Coach search draws 65 candidates
CENTRAL FOOTBALL
By Jeff Wick (Contact)
Thursday, December 18, 2008

STORY TOOLS
E-mail story
Comments
iPod friendly
Printer friendly
More High School Sports
Local soccer update
Area high school basketball scores, 01/17
Steers' hot streak in 4th quarter too much for Chiefs
Social Bookmarking

As of Wednesday afternoon, 65 coaches had applied for the vacant head football coaching position at Central High School, and the credentials of those hopefuls were as varied as their locations.

Thirty-one of the applicants were from out of state - a product of San Angelo Independent School District advertising the position nationally - and ranged from the athletic director for Rochester Community and Technical College in Minnesota to a "system support analyst" in Herndon, Va., to some very successful high school coaches in California.

There were several high-profile names from within Texas, with the most recognizable probably being Dennis Parker, who is the head coach at Division III Texas Lutheran University.

The 58-year-old Parker won a state title in 1990 at Marshall High School and was the head coach at the University of North Texas from 1991-93, compiling a 11-21-1 overall record there. In the early part of this decade, he was the athletic director at Ector County ISD in Odessa. For the past two seasons, he has been the head coach at TLU. In 2007, he was 2-8. This season he was 4-6.

Parker isn't the only applicant who has won a Texas state title. Windthorst head coach Bill Green won state titles in 1996 and 2003 at the Class 1A school and has a 146-44 overall record there since he became the head coach in 1994.

Another applicant West Texas football fans should recognize is Alan Cherry, a Monahans native and Angelo State graduate who took Crane to the state quarterfinals in 2002. From there he went to 4A Bay City, where he made the state finals in 2003. He's now at Class 5A Harlingen South. In 2007, he went 12-1 there but was just 2-8 this season. Overall, Cherry has a head coaching record of 174-60.

Other high-profile applicants include:

n Craig Slaughter, the head coach at Class 2A Clyde, which went 11-2 this year. He has a 23-12 record at the school in his three years there. Before that, in four years as the head coach at Hearne, he was a combined 24-19 with a program that had gone just 24-85 in the previous 11 years. Slaughter is a Winters native and graduate of ASU who has been an assistant at Ballinger and Menard.

n Aldine head coach Bob Jones. He has been at 5A Aldine since 2004, but prior to that he was the head coach at Fort Worth Dunbar, where his teams won four consecutive district titles. He was also an assistant coach on Converse Judson's 1995 state title team. He went just 3-5 this year.

n Chip Mayfield, who has been the head coach at Class 4A Del Valle since 2005 and led that hard-luck program to its first winning season in 25 years in 2007.

n Eldorado head coach Johnny Burleson, who was the All West Texas co-coach of the year in 2007 after leading the Eagles to a 7-4 mark one year after the team won just one game. This year, Burleson's Eagles went 4-6.

n Jake Fieszel, head coach at Gunter, which went 10-2 this year.

n Ken Craig, head coach of Class 2A New Waverly, whose team went 10-1 this season.

SAISD is still accepting applications, and athletic director Doug McCutchen does not expect to name finalists before the Christmas break, which begins Saturday.

"We said up front that we weren't going to rush, but it has taken longer than we had hoped," said McCutchen, who is now hoping to name finalists and bring them to San Angelo to interview in early January.

Wednesday, an e-mail was circulating that a high-profile candidate (not on the below list) had already been offered the job.

Not true.

"We're not even close to offering the position," McCutchen said.

Name School/Town Position

(all locations are in Texas unless otherwise specified)

George Andrews Rockford East, Illinois Assistant Coach

Dane Ashley Amarillo High Assistant Coach

Tommy Austin River Road M.S., North Carolina Head football coach

Paul Baird Saginaw High Off. Coordinator

Marcus Booker Cotulla Head football coach/AD

Johnny Burleson Eldorado Head football coach/AD

Billy Butler Quinlan Head football coach/AD

Albert Byrom Odem Edroy Assistant Coach

Jack Chandler Early Assistant Coach

Thomas Chavez Victoria Assistant Coach

Alan Cherry Harlingen South Head football coach

Lonnie Cook Taos, NM Head football coach

Ricky Coon Highland CC Defensive Coordinator

Christopher Corvin Blacksburg High, Virginia Special teams coach

Jim Cox Houston Pro indoor football coach

Ken Craig New Waverly Head football coach/AD

Desmond Evans Panhandle State, OK Receivers coach

Jake Fieszel Gunter Head football coach

Robert Ford Jacksonville, TX Assistant AD

Glenn Fosnacht Biloxi, MS Former assistant

Michael Gaston San Antonio Holmes Head football coach/AD

Greg Gibson San Juan Capistrano, CA Head football coach

Shane Goodwin Westminster, Alabama Head football coach

James Gray Booker T. Washington, Houston Head football coach

Bill Green Windthorst Head football coach/AD

Rayburn Greene Lancaster Christian, Tenn. Head football coach/AD

Brendan Gregory Austin Peay University Defensive line coach

Smitty Grider Beauregard, Alabama Head football coach

Richard Hammond Gilroy, CA Head football coach

Dave Handal Richardson-Berkner Defensive Coordinator

Dondre Harris Little Rock, Ark. Assistant coach

Tracy Hart Herndon, Virginia System Support Analyst

Dan Hernandez Bastrop Defensive Coordinator

Keegan Hill Northern Ill. University Student Coach

Christopher Hug III St. Petersburg, FL. PE Teacher

John Iannucci Cherry Hill, NJ Head football coach

Ted Johnson Roosevelt Assistant coach

Tony Johnson Wichita South, KN Head football coach

Bob Jones Aldine, Houston Head football coach/AD

Matthew Kitchie St. Stephens, Bradenton, FL Head football coach

Brad LaPLante Rochester Comm. & Tech. College Athletic Director

Darris Lewis C.E. King, Houston Linebackers coach

Jerry Malone Marlin Head football coach/AD

Chip Mayfield Del Valle Head football coach/AD

Scott McRitchie Hemet, CA Head football coach

Miguel Medina Roma Assistant football coach

Patrick Melton Pasadena Defensive Coordinator

Greg Meyer Clermont, FL Head baseball

Shaun Murgel Winnemucca, NV Defensive Coordinator

Matt Nally Frankston Assistant head football coach

Andrew Nishimoto Downey, CA Assistant football coach

Dennis Parker Texas Lutheran University Head football coach

Colby Pate Sachse Def., special teams coordinator

Anthony Pratley Leonardtown, MD Head football coach

Les Rhea Frankston Head football coach

David Satcher Clear Lake Defensive Coordinator

David Sine Flatonia Head football coach/AD

Craig Slaughter Clyde Head football coach/AD

Chris Smith Dalhart Offensive Coordinator

William Smith Parkersburg, WV football coach

Carl Straube Mathis Assistant football coach

Roy Thompson Belhaven College Assistant football coach

John Tomlinson Briar Woods, Virginia Offensive Coordinator

Harry Troncin Walnut Creek, CA Athletic Coordinator

Ron Young Mineral Wells Defensive Coordinator

AAA87
01-17-2009, 10:24 AM
the three that were brought in for interviews and were the finalists are not on the list...they did not fill out application to keep private from the open records act....one guy is from nw of metroplex...one is east of metroplex and one is south texas.....2 finalist are 35 and 37 and the winner is about 42......there you go....now you know the rest of this story...do not think alan cherry is that young....and the reply about better than his last school...remember all 3 finalist went atleast three rounds this year...i think they lost a combined 4 games all season combined....

pirate4state
01-17-2009, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
AAA is correct, proven winner that can win there. Great hire for sure. Will cause lots of movement down south!! :thinking:

kepdawg
01-17-2009, 01:36 PM
the three that were brought in for interviews and were the finalists are not on the list...they did not fill out application to keep private from the open records act....one guy is from nw of metroplex...one is east of metroplex and one is south texas.....2 finalist are 35 and 37 and the winner is about 42......there you go....now you know the rest of this story...do not think alan cherry is that young....and the reply about better than his last school...remember all 3 finalist went atleast three rounds this year...i think they lost a combined 4 games all season combined....

I'm not talking about his current school. I'm talking about his stop before this one assuming it is who I think it is.

GreenMonster
01-17-2009, 01:42 PM
NW of Metroplex could easily be Ponder from WF Rider, South Texas 3a? Navasota's Lee Fedora??? Is that considered south Texas? And East Texas could be just about anyone, much too vague for that part of the state.

Johnny Utah
01-17-2009, 03:01 PM
It wont be AC, trust me!!! Your way off. Proven winner at every level. Great hire, will bring a BREATH of FRESH AIR to the program. Will also trigger some serious movement down south.

ol country boy
01-17-2009, 03:31 PM
The guy that got the job I did not even see on the above list....AC might not be the initial of the guys name but intials of the .........

ol country boy
01-17-2009, 03:32 PM
Good hire for San Angelo.

ccraker
01-17-2009, 08:01 PM
An offer is made:

http://varsity.oaoa.com/articles/coach_3239___article.html/davis_central.html

DDBooger
01-18-2009, 05:09 PM
Apparently he took it, Brent Davis resigned as AD/HC at Alice

ol country boy
01-18-2009, 06:26 PM
There yall go. Good luck Coach Davis.

kaorder1999
01-18-2009, 06:27 PM
i hate it when people go through the interview process...make the first rounds of cuts, interview for a second time, get offered the job and then talk about how you need time to think about whether or not you want the job. That should be done before it gets that far along in the process of interviewing

pirate4state
01-18-2009, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
i hate it when people go through the interview process...make the first rounds of cuts, interview for a second time, get offered the job and then talk about how you need time to think about whether or not you want the job. That should be done before it gets that far along in the process of interviewing hey man, it happens, one day you'll be there too

Johnny Utah
01-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Once you get that far, you talk about money, asst's you can bring, control, upgrades to facilities in future, etc....and it requires time and thought. That is the way it is man. No rash decisions, because not only is Centrals old staff affected, so is Alice's.

AAA87
01-18-2009, 08:24 PM
you need to be able to tell the kids you are presently coaching also...thats why the have to think about it....didnt want it out officially until he could meet with his players...but didnt happen...

Johnny Utah
01-18-2009, 08:38 PM
Triple A, going to be interesting down there. TK?????

44INAROW
01-18-2009, 08:44 PM
noticed alot of out-of-state applicants. It got me to thinking. What (if any) kind of certification issues would be presented with hiring an out of state coach? Would it even be a problem for the coach to get certified quickly or do they give them time to do this? I was just wondering.

cr180t
01-18-2009, 09:08 PM
If they are cert in another State they can usually get a waiver for 1 year. During that time the must get certified in Texas. Most Coahes that apply have a Texas Lic. begoer they apply. Most schools even require a Texas Lic first.