PDA

View Full Version : Kids and Hard Times

Bullaholic
01-16-2009, 10:56 AM
I was wondering what kind of an impact that the declining economic times are having on high school kids. Are parents providing less spending money? Are kids having a harder time finding a part-time job? Are more kids having to go to work? How do kids from low-income school districts balance extracurricular activities with working?

waterboy
01-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I was wondering what kind of an impact that the declining economic times are having on high school kids. Are parents providing less spending money? Are kids having a harder time finding a part-time job? Are more kids having to go to work? How do kids from low-income school districts balance extracurricular activities with working?
If you participate in extracurricular activities such as football, the boosters will pay you................if you're a highly touted recruit!:D

The Celina people know what I'm talking about.:devil: ;) :D

Txbroadcaster
01-16-2009, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
This is why I dont think the economy is nearly as bad as politicians and media like to portray it; Ive seen zero change in kids and parents. These kids are still driving better cars than me, wearing a weeks worth my salary in clothes every day, spending unholy amounts of money on prom and homecoming stuff, and spending an average of $12 per kid everyday in the cafeteria and vending machines.

I think Texas and DFW in paticular are in a protective bubble for now..Texas work grew this past year and it looks to grow this year as well, though not as much

If the national economy stays to low to long, then Texas will feel it, but right now as a State we are not like other states are

Send_the_House
01-16-2009, 11:16 AM
I agree with the above.

Emerson1
01-16-2009, 11:28 AM
This is why I dont think the economy is nearly as bad as politicians and media like to portray it; Ive seen zero change in kids and parents. These kids are still driving better cars than me, wearing a weeks worth my salary in clothes every day, spending unholy amounts of money on prom and homecoming stuff, and spending an average of $12 per kid everyday in the cafeteria and vending machines.
I've always been super cheap about everything. It's really not that hard to find a job, Wal Mart is always hiring. People are just lazy

Z motion 10 out on 2
01-16-2009, 11:51 AM
I don't want to even hear about a recession with all the spending going on. Even the poor have cable TV and watch it on a flat screen. Well maybe not the flat screen but some do.

Kids are spoiled -- mine included. I tell her about the real world but she blows me off. I said check back with me in about four years -- she is 18 now.

Txbroadcaster
01-16-2009, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2

Kids are spoiled -- mine included. I tell her about the real world but she blows me off. I said check back with me in about four years -- she is 18 now.

And as kids we were all spoiled for the most part.

I know each older generation wants to say we had it rougher back in the day and so on, but really once farming stopped being done by so many and once child labor laws came into effect as a whole all kids each generation are "spoiled"

DDBooger
01-16-2009, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
And as kids we were all spoiled for the most part.

I know each older generation wants to say we had it rougher back in the day and so on, but really once farming stopped being done by so many and once child labor laws came into effect as a whole all kids each generation are "spoiled" dude, it's just another generation exclaiming "thats what is wrong with this generation", forgetting they were once teens or young 20 somethings that would hate who they are today! lmao AND THAT IS WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS COUNTRY!!!! haha just thought I'd add that ;)

Ranger Mom
01-16-2009, 12:31 PM
Heck...my two boys (20 and 22) are making more money than my husband and I put together.....well, the oldest one is anyway!

But....the oilfield is really slowing down out here, they are lucky they are still working!!!

SWMustang
01-16-2009, 01:29 PM
I think Texas and DFW in paticular are in a protective bubble for now..Texas work grew this past year and it looks to grow this year as well, though not as much

If the national economy stays to low to long, then Texas will feel it, but right now as a State we are not like other states are

Texas is faring much better than the rest of the state, but you can thank oil at 150 dollars a barrel last year for that. If it doesn't rebound to 60-80 dollars a barrel this year it's going to get bad here too. DFW would be the first place to feel it - many would argue they are feeling it with Telecom woes.

Txbroadcaster
01-16-2009, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
Texas is faring much better than the rest of the state, but you can thank oil at 150 dollars a barrel last year for that. If it doesn't rebound to 60-80 dollars a barrel this year it's going to get bad here too. DFW would be the first place to feel it - many would argue they are feeling it with Telecom woes.

Would it hurt..yes..would it devestate? no..DFW and Texas are not as dependant on oil as they were when the 80's collapse hit. Cities wised up and started looking for diversity in their companies

When the telecom bust started DFW was one of the area with the most companies, and while it did hurt, it was just a small market inside the pie of DFW buisnesses.

Macarthur
01-16-2009, 01:54 PM
Makes sense. Ive also noticed that the restraunts all stay packed as well. I did hear something about DFW being one of the few metro areas that actually experienced a little economic growth last year.

Actually, I've read several things about how restaurants are not doing as well.

SWMustang
01-16-2009, 02:33 PM
Would it hurt..yes..would it devestate? no..DFW and Texas are not as dependant on oil as they were when the 80's collapse hit. Cities wised up and started looking for diversity in their companies

When the telecom bust started DFW was one of the area with the most companies, and while it did hurt, it was just a small market inside the pie of DFW buisnesses.

I will not completely disagree. We are more diversified than we used to be, but oil is still king. I'm in houston - oil is everything here.

What is DFW's business?

SWMustang
01-16-2009, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Actually, I've read several things about how restaurants are not doing as well.

Bennigans...

Farmersfan
01-16-2009, 03:14 PM

At one time the entire American econony was a Energy driven economy and a oil price like what he just had would have destroyed it. In the last decade or so our economy has moved towards a more services driven economy. Economists predicted 15 years ago that a 90.00 barrel of oil would collaspe the American economy but we all saw how it handled the oil prices. Most of our problems now come from the overwhelming negative attitude from the citizens of this country. We have lived through a decade of constant negative propaganda from our elected officials and the normal person on the street has very little confidence about our future. That attitude could very well make it a reality.....

SWMustang
01-16-2009, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
We have lived through a decade of constant negative propaganda from our elected officials and the normal person on the street has very little confidence about our future. That attitude could very well make it a reality.....

The negative propaganda comes from the Media not the elected officials.

BleedOrange
01-16-2009, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
The negative propaganda comes from the Media not the elected officials.

Really???:confused: Have you heard our wonderful congressional leaders? Pelosi, Reid, and the like are about as negative as it gets.

SWMustang
01-16-2009, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by BleedOrange
Really???:confused: Have you heard our wonderful congressional leaders? Pelosi, Reid, and the like are about as negative as it gets.

I thought we were talking about leaders :D Granted, but what filters down to the common man is what the see and hear on the news.