PDA

View Full Version : Plane crash in Hudson River

kepdawg
01-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Just turn on the news or check major websites

pirate4state
01-15-2009, 04:08 PM
US Airways :( bummer

The plane is an Airbus 320, US Airways flight 1549 from LaGuardia to Charlotte. There were 146 passengers on board the flight, along with 5 crew members. There is no report on their conditions.
The plane went down near 57th street. The plane took off from LaGuardia at 3:11 p.m.
There are reports that a bird struck the plane on takeoff, however that is not confirmed at this time.

Ferries were rescuing passengers, some who were seen standing on the wings of the plane. Because of the crash all ferry service is suspended between their 39th terminal in NYC and their Weehawken terminal, across the river in NJ.
The plane was submerged in the icy waters up to the windows, and rescue crews had opened the door and were pulling passengers in yellow life vests from the plane.
The plane was quickly submerged about 30 minutes after the crash.
Stay with Eyewitness News and 7online.com for additional information on this breaking story.

kepdawg
01-15-2009, 04:08 PM
Apparently only air born 6 minutes

Max altitude of 3200 feet

Apparently hit a flock of birds and lost both engines

Undetermined # of passengers (holds 146 + 5 pilots)

Ranger Mom
01-15-2009, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Apparently only air born 6 minutes

Max altitude of 3200 feet

Apparently hit a flock of birds and lost both engines

Undetermined # of passengers (holds 146 + 5 pilots)

Flock of Geese???:eek: :eek:

pirate4state
01-15-2009, 04:32 PM
Reports are that all 140+ psgrs, plus crew were safely evacuated! :thumbsup:

crzyjournalist03
01-15-2009, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Flock of Geese???:eek: :eek:

man...PETA will be all over that if a bird died!

Bull's-eye
01-15-2009, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Ranger Mom
01-15-2009, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
man...PETA will be all over that if a bird died!

If it knocked 2 engines out of commission....I'm pretty sure it died!!:p

crzyjournalist03
01-15-2009, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
If it knocked 2 engines out of commission....I'm pretty sure it died!!:p

Who gave man the right to fly with the birds anyway? God didn't give us wings. The poor goose. :( ;)

Sweetwater Red
01-15-2009, 05:09 PM
Speaking of plane crashes...I think I'll start a new thread.:thinking:

44INAROW
01-15-2009, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Thank Goodness...... I've been gone and haven't checked the news, I'll go check it out right now.......

kepdawg
01-15-2009, 10:19 PM
Hero pilot a Denison native

BY KATHY WILLIAMS

HERALD DEMOCRAT

Passengers, company officials and New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg all praised Denison native, Chesley Burnett "Sully" Sullenberger III for safely landing a US Airways airbus with 150 people aboard Thursday.

Denison Mayor Robert Brady called the day's hero "Bernie" and said he remembered his fellow 1969 classmate as one of the "smart kids" who got his pilot's license at 14.

ABC news named Sullenberger as the pilot who negotiated a soft landing in the Hudson River in New York City, and reported Bloomberg, "It would appear the pilot did a masterful job of landing the plane in the river, and then making sure everybody got out." Not only did Sullenberger land the plane in a manner to stay afloat, but also avoided all the river traffic. Passengers waited on the wings of the aircraft for rescue. Ferries and other boats took on the passengers.

The Associated Press said "A US Airways pilot reported a "double bird strike" less than a minute after takeoff Thursday and was headed for an emergency landing in New Jersey when he ditched into the Hudson River, an air controllers union spokesman said.

The pilot of the Airbus 320 was climbing to 1,500 feet when he reported the bird strikes about 30 to 45 seconds after a normal takeoff from New York's LaGuardia Airport, National Air Traffic Controllers Association spokesman Doug Church said. Church said the pilot apparently meant that birds had hit both of the plane's jet engines. When he reported the bird strike, the pilot asked to return to the ground immediately.

Church's account came from employees at the New York TRACON (Terminal Radar Approach Control Center) in Westbury, N.Y., which was handling the aircraft after its takeoff.

Passengers called Sullenberger a hero and the entire landing and rescue a miracle. The waters of the Hudson were near freezing and all the emergency exits and rafts deployed properly. The passengers also said that they cooperated to balance the load of passengers while they awaited rescue to keep from swamping the plane. Bloomberg said that "Sully" was the last to leave the plane.

Denison friends remembered him as well-rounded student who came from a wonderful family. His Denison High School senior yearbook shows that he was the academic award winner in English his senior year, and members of the Latin and Science clubs. He played in the school band and served on its governing council.

"I'm not surprised that he would be able to have the skills that it takes to do that," said Kathy Coulter of Denison, a retired teacher who taught with Sullenberger's mother, Pauline, at Houston Elementary School. Coulter also is a member of the DHS Class of 1969. Sullenberger's father was a dentist in Denison.

According to Church: The controller then issued instructions to turn the aircraft back to LaGuardia, when the pilot, then over northern New Jersey, looked down, saw an airstrip and asked, "What airport is that?"

The controller replied: "That's Teterboro." That suburban airport near Newark serves primarily commuter and private aviation.

The pilot said he wanted to land there.

The controller then gave instructions to divert the aircraft to Teterboro's Runway 1 for an emergency landing.

That was the last transmission between the aircraft and the New York TRACON, Church said. At that point, the aircraft could have reached about 5,000 feet, Church estimated.

"There was no 'mayday' or emergency distress signal from the plane's transponder during the entire episode, which lasted about five or six minutes," Church said.

The TRACON takes control of departing flights from airport tower controllers after liftoff and handles them out to a radius of about 40 miles and an altitude of 10,000 to 12,000 feet, when they are turned over to an en route air control center.

Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Laura Brown said US Airways Flight 1549 took off at 2:26 p.m. with 148 passengers and either five or six crew members on board. The plane took off on Runway 4, made a left turn and crashed less than three minutes later, Brown said.

"We understand that there were eyewitness reports the plane may have flown into a flock of birds," Brown said. She said the left turn is the "the normal takeoff procedure from that runway. ... They were in a normal configuration."

"Right now we don't have any indication this was anything other than an accident," Brown said.

The National Transportation Safety Board sent a team to investigate the crash.

Herald Democrat City Editor Gary Carter, the Associated Press, Donna Hunt contributed to this story.

LINK (http://www.heralddemocrat.com/hd/BreakingNews/Denison-Native-pilot-)

kaorder1999
01-16-2009, 12:45 PM
its unbelievable that nobody was killed in this incident! wow!

K-MAC Chuck
01-18-2009, 11:17 AM
Being from the East Coast myself (yes, I'm a Yankee!)..I'm very happy that EVERYONE involved (all 155) were pulled out alive and safe...

Those who "know" the reputation of the Hudson know that it can be a "dumping" ground, of sorts...Thus, my home-made joke (and again, it's okay to "joke" about this, since everyone on the plane was pulled out alive and safe)..

A US Airways plane went down in the Hudson River the other day..155 people went INTO the river, and 200 bodies were pulled OUT of the river...

eagleqb_14
01-19-2009, 04:00 PM
GOOD PILOTING!!!!agree

Ranger Mom
01-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by K-MAC Chuck
Being from the East Coast myself (yes, I'm a Yankee!)..I'm very happy that EVERYONE involved (all 155) were pulled out alive and safe...

Those who "know" the reputation of the Hudson know that it can be a "dumping" ground, of sorts...Thus, my home-made joke (and again, it's okay to "joke" about this, since everyone on the plane was pulled out alive and safe)..

A US Airways plane went down in the Hudson River the other day..155 people went INTO the river, and 200 bodies were pulled OUT of the river...

LOL!!:p

piratebg
01-19-2009, 04:14 PM
All morning on CNN they were talking about making the movie about this whole thing. It got on my nerves.