PDA

View Full Version : The Michael Young moving to third story

coach
01-15-2009, 02:43 PM
Something i did not know...they are asking young to move to third for a awesome young star...well the young star has never played above double a ball...now please tell me how this makes sense?

eagles_victory
01-15-2009, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by coach
Something i did not know...they are asking young to move to third for a awesome young star...well the young star has never played above double a ball...now please tell me how this makes sense? Double A is the class of the minor leagues. They call up from Double A as much as they do Triple A a lot of the time.

Txbroadcaster
01-15-2009, 02:48 PM
Something i did not know...they are asking young to move to third for a awesome young star...well the young star has never played above double a ball...now please tell me how this makes sense?

Because the Rangers look at 2010 to be the year they begin truly being a competitve team in the West for the play-offs

So if your pointing to a season after this, you want this season to allow Young and Elvis to make the transitions. It will be bumpy and take time and you dont want to spend part of the 2010 breaking them in. They want to use 2009 for that.

Red&White_9x5
01-15-2009, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Because the Rangers look at 2010 to be the year they begin truly being a competitve team in the West for the play-offs

So if your pointing to a season after this, you want this season to allow Young and Elvis to make the transitions. It will be bumpy and take time and you dont want to spend part of the 2010 breaking them in. They want to use 2009 for that.

Until the Rangers beef up their pitching staff they are not going to get to the next level. It seems like everyone knows this except the freaking Rangers

Txbroadcaster
01-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Red&White_9x5
Until the Rangers beef up their pitching staff they are not going to get to the next level. It seems like everyone knows this except the freaking Rangers

Guess you have not seen where their farm system is ranked and it is heavy with pitching

They learned FINALLY the correct way to do it..build it from within

eagles_victory
01-15-2009, 03:20 PM

They learned FINALLY the correct way to do it..build it from within That reamins to be seen they havent won anything yet.

coach
01-15-2009, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Double A is the class of the minor leagues. They call up from Double A as much as they do Triple A a lot of the time.

but they also said they never even consider calling him to double a last year they said he wasnt even close to being ready

Macarthur
01-15-2009, 03:54 PM
I don't remember anyone saying he "wasn't close to being ready".

I mean he hit something like .290 last year.

eagles_victory
01-15-2009, 04:56 PM
but they also said they never even consider calling him to double a last year they said he wasnt even close to being ready I like the movie Shaquille O'Neal has more range on his jump shot than Mike Young has in the field.

coach
01-15-2009, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
I like the movie Shaquille O'Neal has more range on his jump shot than Mike Young has in the field.

obviously he has enough range to be a 5 time all star at a position he learned how to play...hell he has less errors than jeter and hits better than him too...why move up a guy when he isnt even proven

coach
01-15-2009, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
I don't remember anyone saying he "wasn't close to being ready".

I mean he hit something like .290 last year.

hell thats class A ball if ur suppose to be a superstar than u better hit better than 290 in clas A ball

eagles_victory
01-15-2009, 05:20 PM
obviously he has enough range to be a 5 time all star at a position he learned how to play...hell he has less errors than jeter and hits better than him too...why move up a guy when he isnt even proven Your going to make more errors when you get to more balls and have to make harder plays. You cant look at a defensive player just based on errors. He never makes the plays deep in the hole at short that Jeter makes. Not like there is a lot of competition at shortstop in the American League for All-Star the last few years since Nomar left the A.L. and A-Rod is playing third.

hell thats class A ball if ur suppose to be a superstar than u better hit better than 290 in clas A ball It was Double A for Frisco he hit .295 and stole 54 bases which arent bad numbers at all for Double A.

coach
01-15-2009, 06:02 PM
i just dont understand how they said the never even considered him last year and now they act like he is the key for teh playoffs...i just think they would be better off if they keep him at ss hell if he is so good trade him for a pitcher

Keith7
01-15-2009, 06:07 PM
Guess you have not seen where their farm system is ranked and it is heavy with pitching

They learned FINALLY the correct way to do it..build it from within

Everyone will be happy until these players become stars and the Rangers will not be able to afford them all and will have to start all over again.. IE Marlins, A's, Twins and soon to be Tampa Bay

Txbroadcaster
01-15-2009, 06:08 PM
i just dont understand how they said the never even considered him last year and now they act like he is the key for teh playoffs...i just think they would be better off if they keep him at ss hell if he is so good trade him for a pitcher

Why trade the young guy that can be at one of the crucial positons for as long as you think he can play and keep a aging SS and still have a hole at 3B

Txbroadcaster
01-15-2009, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
Everyone will be happy until these players become stars and the Rangers will not be able to afford them all and will have to start all over again.. IE Marlins, A's, Twins and soon to be Tampa Bay

That is such a misconception.

Hicks will pay when he feel the time is right( heck look what he paid Young..look what he OFFERED Tex)

coach
01-15-2009, 06:13 PM
Why trade the young guy that can be at one of the crucial positons for as long as you think he can play and keep a aging SS and still have a hole at 3B

bc im sure we can find another good ss i say try and get an up and coming pitcher...im sure you can get one if you throw in blaylock....i just dont get it...why move your captain and put all the pressure on an 18 yr old kid thats not even proven....i mean keep him in the farm system for another yr or two maybe a trade will work out with him or even MY but dont try to force anything

Txbroadcaster
01-15-2009, 06:20 PM
bc im sure we can find another good ss i say try and get an up and coming pitcher...im sure you can get one if you throw in blaylock....i just dont get it...why move your captain and put all the pressure on an 18 yr old kid thats not even proven....i mean keep him in the farm system for another yr or two maybe a trade will work out with him or even MY but dont try to force anything

If your bringing up now there is no pressure..your giving him all of 2009 to get used to the Big

I am sorry but IMO up the middle D is almost as important as pitching..Texas has never truly had a legit SS and CF...they have those now, and I dont think you give them up. They are both young and IF..always a big IF, but if they develop they will have those positions lockdown for at least the next 10 years..and again I think up the middle D is the most important part of your defense

As far as up and coming pitchers to trade for, Texas has that in spades, lets see how they develop

JR2004
01-15-2009, 06:22 PM
And this is all a mute point now that Young has agreed to play 3rd base...Looks like Ol' Nolan probably stepped in and fixed this.

Keith7
01-15-2009, 06:22 PM
If the rangers wanted to be serious about rebuilding this thing, they would resign Hamilton asap.. If he reaches free agency or even wait 'til next year, he might be out of their price range

coachkiss
01-16-2009, 08:29 AM
Right now, the Rangers have the best minor league talent in baseball. Those aren't my words, they are the words of Baseball America. Many other people share the same view.

Not only is it loaded with talent, it is loaded with pitching talent. The rotation in OKC and Frisco are loaded this year, along with the rotation at Bakersfield. They are so loaded with starting pitching that some very good prospects will probably have to stay a level lower than they would like them to.

Andrus is the real deal. I will give you that he has a lot of errors, but errors aren't as useful as they appear to be. Errors are useful for describing how runs score -- they aren't useful for judging a player's overall ability. For example, Jose Reyes and Edgar Renteria had the same fielding percentage and number of errors at AA ball when they were the same age as Andrus. Andrus has better hitting stats than Reyes did at the same age and level. He stole more bases than Renteria. He is the real deal.

Michael Young is getting older and his range (which wasn't good to begin with) will start dropping even more. If the Rangers feel that 2010 is the year to start contending, then you will see players moving up to the big club this year to take their lumps. Young isn't the answer at shortstop in two to three years. Andrus is. Swallow that pill now, instead of waiting for Andrus to take his lumps in the year you want to start contending.

By the way, say what you want about Baseball America, but there has not been an organization in the last 18 years that they ranked as #1 that hasn't made the playoffs in the next 2-3 years after that. If that's not exactly right, it's pretty darn close. I can't remember the exact right numbers off of the top of my head this early.

In other words, fans need to quit complaining about this one, and they need to stop complaining about going out and getting pitching. The pitching is there in the system. We just need to be patient until it is at the major leagues.

Texasfootball2
01-16-2009, 09:29 AM
i just dont understand how they said the never even considered him last year and now they act like he is the key for teh playoffs...i just think they would be better off if they keep him at ss hell if he is so good trade him for a pitcher The shortstop position is all about defense. Even if your a sub .250 hitter, if you have great range and make plays defensively that keep men off base or keep runs of the board you are worth your weight in gold. Ozzie Smith was probably a career .250+/- hitter, but is still considered one of the best shortstops to ever play the game. Being strong up the middle is the key to being a great defensive team. Elvis's range and big arm would immediately make the Rangers much stronger up the middle and would also help the Rangers "Pitching" staff amd team ERA by allowing fewer runners to get on base. Go back over the last 30 years and look at the great shortstops. Other the Ripken and Trammel, most of them did not hit for a good average. NOw that it seems that Micheal is willing to make the move I think the Rangers will be much better off.

jockcity33
01-16-2009, 09:41 AM
Now that young has agreed to make the move to 3rd will he attempt to be more of a power hitter instead of just getting base hits?

Texasfootball2
01-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by jockcity33
Now that young has agreed to make the move to 3rd will he attempt to be more of a power hitter instead of just getting base hits? I doubt it, the Rangers have plenty of power and Micheal is a true professional hitter. He is always very aware of the game situation and always makes an attempt to move runners or hit the ball the opposite way. If you look closely, most of Micheal Young home runs are to RC and RF which means he is a very disciplined hitter. He probably still bat 2nd or 3rd in the order, and this is good news for the Rangers.:D

crzyjournalist03
01-16-2009, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by jockcity33
Now that young has agreed to make the move to 3rd will he attempt to be more of a power hitter instead of just getting base hits?

I don't think you can afford to change what kind of hitter you are just because of what position you play. Chone Figgins doesn't try to hit home runs, and I think he's one heck of a 3rd baseman.