PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater AD/Football job listed on THSCA website

Johnny Utah
01-15-2009, 01:28 PM
They have opened it up boys!! Who will it be???

Sweetwater Red
01-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
They have opened it up boys!! Who will it be???

David Ritchey or Steve Freeman.:thinking:

wildstangs
01-15-2009, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
David Ritchey or Steve Freeman.:thinking:

Either one would be pretty cool. Freeman is from Roscoe right?

Sweetwater Red
01-15-2009, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Either one would be pretty cool. Freeman is from Roscoe right?

Yep and his parents live here also.:thinking:

wildstangs
01-15-2009, 01:51 PM
Yep and his parents live here also.:thinking:

And he was once an assistant at Sweetwater, right? Or was that just Briles?

STANG RED
01-15-2009, 01:52 PM
Didnt I read where Freeman has already taken a job at Baylor under Briles? Cant really see him stepping back down to HS level, but who knows.
I'm sure Richey will apply. I just hope hes a lot better high school coach than he ever was as a high school QB!:eek:
On second thought,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,he would have to be.

wildstangs
01-15-2009, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Didnt I read where Freeman has already taken a job at Baylor under Briles? Cant really see him stepping back down to HS level, but who knows.
I'm sure Richey will apply. I just hope hes a lot better high school coach than he ever was as a high school QB!:eek:

I thought he had accepted a job at Baylor as well, but never did see it in the news. Did you not think Ritchey was a good QB? Didnt he lead the 1991 team 4 rounds deep?

Sweetwater Red
01-15-2009, 01:54 PM
And he was once an assistant at Sweetwater, right? Or was that just Briles?

He was an asst. under Tom Ritchey.

Sweetwater Red
01-15-2009, 01:56 PM

You don't think Briles would understand? It wouldn't be like
Freeman would be leaving them in a lurch. It's the middle of
January. They'd have plenty of time to find a replacement.

STANG RED
01-15-2009, 02:01 PM
I thought he had accepted a job at Baylor as well, but never did see it in the news. Did you not think Ritchey was a good QB? Didnt he lead the 1991 team 4 rounds deep?

There were some great athletes on that team, but no Ritchey wasnt one of them. There were 3 backup QBs that were much better athletically. But, and know this is big, the other players did really like him, and I think he was a good leader on the field. He just tended to stumble over his own feet a lot, and couldnt throw the ball 15 yards to save his life. He does have lots of football knowledge though, and is probably a pretty good coach.

STANG RED
01-15-2009, 02:15 PM
You don't think Briles would understand? It wouldn't be like
Freeman would be leaving them in a lurch. It's the middle of
January. They'd have plenty of time to find a replacement.

I guess it would depend on whether he signed a contract, but yea I'm sure Briles would release him if thats what he wants. I would just be surprised to see Freeman want to do it. I would just think he would like to see where this Baylor gig could possibly take him to at the college level. But who knows whats in the mans head. Some of the Bwood posters might have a better guess about what he might do.

BwdLion73
01-15-2009, 02:24 PM
I think he would go to Sweetwater if he can bring his Defensive coordinator with him. ;)

RunTheFollow
01-15-2009, 02:26 PM
Freeman never took a job at Baylor.

STANG RED
01-15-2009, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by BwdLion73
I think he would go to Sweetwater if he can bring his Defensive coordinator with him. ;)

:mad: :mad: :mad: Then he better stay away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As much as I didnt like Jacksons offense, we had a lot of great defenses while he was here, which was the main reason for most of his success.

GetRDoneStangs
01-15-2009, 02:33 PM
There were some great athletes on that team, but no Ritchey wasnt one of them. There were 3 backup QBs that were much better athletically. But, and know this is big, the other players did really like him, and I think he was a good leader on the field. He just tended to stumble over his own feet a lot, and couldnt throw the ball 15 yards to save his life. He does have lots of football knowledge though, and is probably a pretty good coach.

We got to see him win his first game as a HC during the SBC...watching him on the sidelines was a blast. VERY energetic and related to the players really well. He will be a great coach...not sure he is ready for 3A yet....but I am sure they will take a look at him.

'84 Stang
01-15-2009, 02:55 PM
people in SW will be jumping off of high structures if the DC came with Freeman ..... not an impressive use of organic compounds!!!!!!

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-15-2009, 03:15 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad: Then he better stay away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As much as I didnt like Jacksons offense, we had a lot of great defenses while he was here, which was the main reason for most of his success.

Not my Senior year, we put up 45 a game and gave up 50.

Johnny Utah
01-15-2009, 03:40 PM
So that had to do with the DC or the group of players??? Sometimes we pound coaches a little too much and do not look at the talent level or lack there of.

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
So that had to do with the DC or the group of players??? Sometimes we pound coaches a little too much and do not look at the talent level or lack there of.

Yeah you're right, we had a solid defense the year before, brought nearly everyone back and switched from the scheme everyone had played since pop warner to a 5-2 but I bet it was the players.

Johnny Utah
01-15-2009, 03:54 PM
POP WARNER equates to HS ball I see. Give me a break! If that were the case every team that won in Pop Warner or LIL Dribblers or Little League would always win a State Title. GOOD GRAVEY!!

pirate4state
01-15-2009, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
Yeah you're right, we had a solid defense the year before, brought nearly everyone back and switched from the scheme everyone had played since pop warner to a 5-2 but I bet it was the players. so you're saying yall were too stupid to pick up the new scheme? :D ;) :p

Johnny Utah
01-15-2009, 03:56 PM
pieRAT4state, good one!

swstangs001
01-15-2009, 04:44 PM
does anyone know who is up for the job for sure?

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-15-2009, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
so you're saying yall were too stupid to pick up the new scheme? :D ;) :p

haha yes, we all were.

Daddy D 11
01-15-2009, 06:08 PM
You think the new coach will still run that ancient offense that Sweetwater knows so well?:p

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-16-2009, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
You think the new coach will still run that ancient offense that Sweetwater knows so well?:p

What? Sweep left, sweep right, up the middle, score?

Sweetwater Red
01-16-2009, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11

I hear they are only accepting apps. from coaches that are
willing to run the Wildcat.:thinking:

redball
01-19-2009, 09:32 AM
You all know they should get Shane Mobley. He was the DC for Sweetwater the last few years, and the reason they are still good on Defense. He is the DC in Prosper now, which won STATE this year. HE IS THE MAN!!!!

Sweetwater Red
01-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by redball
You all know they should get Shane Mobley. He was the DC for Sweetwater the last few years, and the reason they are still good on Defense. He is the DC in Prosper now, which won STATE this year. HE IS THE MAN!!!!

I wouldn't mind a bit. But, I'm almost 100% certain he wouldn't
even apply.:(

wildstangs
01-19-2009, 11:09 AM

Would be a good choice, but not many people are leaving the DFW area for West Texas.

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-19-2009, 11:49 AM
Would be a good choice, but not many people are leaving the DFW area for West Texas.

That's just crazy, West Texas is way better than DFW.

wildstangs
01-19-2009, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
That's just crazy, West Texas is way better than DFW.

Don't get me wrong, I miss West Texas. But pay and facilities (two VERY important factors) are much better in the DFW suburbs.

BEAST
01-19-2009, 01:54 PM
I havent spoken with Steve on this matter but I have spoken with one of his sons, unless something changes, I dont think Freeman will be returning to Sweetwater.

BEAST

Sweetwater Red
01-19-2009, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by BEAST
I havent spoken with Steve on this matter but I have spoken with one of his sons, unless something changes, I dont think Freeman will be returning to Sweetwater.

BEAST

Do you know what he's going to coach on Briles staff? I know
Briles makes 1.1 milllion per year. I was trying to figure out
how much his assts. make.

SWMustang
01-19-2009, 02:35 PM
Don't get me wrong, I miss West Texas. But pay and facilities (two VERY important factors) are much better in the DFW suburbs.

I wouldn't disagree with that, but coaches do leave the major metropolitan areas to go there. There's something about the atmosphere and being the king of the kingdom that allures coaches. I'm reminded of the Florida head basketball coach considering leaving after winning the national title. He just wasn't going to be on the same level as Urban Meyer no matter what he did.

redball
01-19-2009, 04:32 PM
I think Mobley's wife is a Sweetwater grad. So he might be interested in heading back to west Texas. I think he would have half of the community backing him. He is a heck of a coach, but what makes him so great is the respect he gets from the players.

Sweetwater Red
01-19-2009, 05:46 PM
I think Mobley's wife is a Sweetwater grad. So he might be interested in heading back to west Texas. I think he would have half of the community backing him. He is a heck of a coach, but what makes him so great is the respect he gets from the players.

His wife was a Sweetwater graduate. Class of 90-91(?). She
was also a teacher and the softball coach up until a year or
two ago when she resigned.

STANG RED
01-19-2009, 08:26 PM
His wife was a Sweetwater graduate. Class of 90-91(?). She
was also a teacher and the softball coach up until a year or
two ago when she resigned.

Her Dad and lots of other family still live here also. I'm sure she would be interested in coming back, but I dont know about him. He certainly knows defense. Not sure what he knows about the rest of it though. He sure wasnt much of a baseball coach, the short time they asked him to do it. But I dont guess he would have to be.

Who-dun-it!!?
01-19-2009, 09:19 PM
You mean Black Magic turned the job down?

Sweetwater Red
01-20-2009, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Who-dun-it!!?
You mean Black Magic turned the job down?

There's only one Freeman that is qualified for the Sweetwater
job.:rolleyes:

redball
01-20-2009, 12:38 PM
Hey Stang Red... Not sure where you get your information, but Shane Mobley was NEVER a baseball coach for sweetwater or anywhere else. He was the DC and Head powerlifting coach from what I remember. And for your question... HE KNOWS ALOT ABOUT THE REST OF IT!! GREAT COACH, AND EVEN BETTER PERSON. JUST ASK THE COMMUNITY AND THE ATHLETES THAT HAVE BEEN UNER HIM. YOU ARE RIGHT THOUGH, HE PROBABLY WOULDN'T WANT TO COME BACK TO SWEETWATER WITH ALL THE NEGATIVITY THAT GOES ON THERE. NOT A GREAT PLACE TO TEACH FROM WHAT I HEAR, ESPECIALLY AT THE HIGH SCHOOL. LEADERSHIP IS LACKING...