PDA

View Full Version : Ever heard "Too cold to snow"?

STANG RED
01-15-2009, 09:14 AM
Well it's total BS!!! And the next time I hear that idiotic phrase come out of someones mouth, I may have to slap crap from them. :p

I woke up to a 1 degree temp and about 2" of snow this morning. It was supposed to get down to -1, but I guess we had a bit of a heat wave. Heck it's all the way up to 4 now. I may have to peel off one of my 3 layers if this heat wave continues and it actually gets up into double digits today.

I say all this because I dont want any crying on here from any of you guys about having to endure 30 degree weather down in Texas. That's sissy stuff compared to what these goofballs in Nebraska live with. I say "goofballs" because these morons actually choose to live up here. Whats wrong with these folks?! At least I'm here because I have to be. Certainly not because I choose to be here. I think maybe some of their brain cells have frozen in the past, and they have brain damage. Which is bad news for me. As most of you know, I probably dont have many brain cells to spare as it is. :helpme: :D :

MN95
01-15-2009, 09:32 AM
As I just posted on another thread, I grew up mostly in Fairbanks, Alaska. The coldest temperatures (-20 to -50) come when there are no clouds and the sky is clear. If you have a cloud cover and it is snowing, it is usually much warmer, above 0.

So, in Fairbanks it can indeed be "too cold to snow". In fact, that is typical.

Ranger Mom
01-15-2009, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by MN95
As I just posted on another thread, I grew up mostly in Fairbanks, Alaska. The coldest temperatures (-20 to -50) come when there are no clouds and the sky is clear. If you have a cloud cover and it is snowing, it is usually much warmer, above 0.

So, in Fairbanks it can indeed be "too cold to snow". In fact, that is typical.

My parents lived in Anchorage for 2 years. My mom came to visit one year and it was around 5° when she left Alaska, she got to Midland and it was about 30° with the wind blowing about 40 mph....she said it felt much warmer in Alaska because they have virtually NO wind!

How is the wind in Fairbanks??

waterboy
01-15-2009, 09:54 AM
You want hear any complaints from me about it being cold. I love the winters around here. I do wish we would get 1 or 2 good snows a year. That would make it even better. I've always said this about winter when somebody complains: you can always put more clothes on if you're cold, but you can only take just so much off when it's hot.

MN95
01-15-2009, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
My parents lived in Anchorage for 2 years. My mom came to visit one year and it was around 5° when she left Alaska, she got to Midland and it was about 30° with the wind blowing about 40 mph....she said it felt much warmer in Alaska because they have virtually NO wind!

How is the wind in Fairbanks??

No wind in Fairbanks in the Winter, except what they call a Chinook, which is a very warm south wind occasionally. It is a very dry cold in Fairbanks, very little humidity. Still, 40-50 below is COLD.

slpybear the bullfan
01-15-2009, 11:58 AM
Kinda more appropriate to say... No snow, so it will be colder.

SWMustang
01-15-2009, 12:01 PM
I've heard the phrase to drunk to ____.

grmfan93
01-15-2009, 03:37 PM
i think is what that means is that its not "real" snow...does that make sense?

KingRob
01-15-2009, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Well it's total BS!!! And the next time I hear that idiotic phrase come out of someones mouth, I may have to slap crap from them. :p

I woke up to a 1 degree temp and about 2" of snow this morning. It was supposed to get down to -1, but I guess we had a bit of a heat wave. Heck it's all the way up to 4 now. I may have to peel off one of my 3 layers if this heat wave continues and it actually gets up into double digits today.

I say all this because I dont want any crying on here from any of you guys about having to endure 30 degree weather down in Texas. That's sissy stuff compared to what these goofballs in Nebraska live with. I say "goofballs" because these morons actually choose to live up here. Whats wrong with these folks?! At least I'm here because I have to be. Certainly not because I choose to be here. I think maybe some of their brain cells have frozen in the past, and they have brain damage. Which is bad news for me. As most of you know, I probably dont have many brain cells to spare as it is. :helpme: :D :

I can relate. The cold makes me get stir crazy. I grew bored staying in, but It was too cold to go out. And I'm talking about going out to get more firewood. I didn't wanna do nothin!:(

STANG RED
01-15-2009, 04:07 PM
Well crap, I just got the word to head to Glenn Rock Wyoming to check out a potential jobsite. Looks like I'm jumping out of the icebox and into the freezer. In fact I better get the heck out of here now, if I'm going to make it to Cheyenne tonight.
Wish me luck!

Sweetwater Red
01-15-2009, 04:15 PM
Well crap, I just got the word to head to Glenn Rock Wyoming to check out a potential jobsite. Looks like I'm jumping out of the icebox and into the freezer. In fact I better get the heck out of here now, if I'm going to make it to Cheyenne tonight.
Wish me luck!

We had a job in Rocksprings, Wyoming. It only lasted a month.
But, that month was December. You should've seen all those
Texas, Louisiana, and Mississippi boys shivering like little girls.
But, not me. I love Yankee weather.:D

Btw, Rock Springs is in Sweetwater County. The water isn't
sweet up there either.:speech:

slpybear the bullfan
01-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

Cool... the Father of Slpybear is up in Rock Springs right now... been up there for over a year now... two on two off...

STANG RED
01-16-2009, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

I'm not too far from there. I'm at a little town just east of Casper on I-25.
Heck it's 54 here right now. Can see lots of snow on the mountains off in the distance, but not much anywhere else. I sure would have never believed it was going to be so warm here. It was about 7 degrees when I left Nebraska yesterday evening about 4:30. I was expecting the worst when I got here, but it's beautiful so far. Im about to head back south soon. Think I'll stay the night somewhere around Denver, and hope to be in Sweetwater by sometime late tomorrow evening. It's been 2 weeks, so I'm sure ready to be home for a few days.

SWMustang
01-16-2009, 05:25 PM
if you hurry you can still make Cheyenne

STANG RED
01-16-2009, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
if you hurry you can still make Cheyenne

Ha ha good one! George Strait would be proad of you.

But I'll probably fly through there about as fast as I did last night. I thought about staying there last night, but wanted get a little further down the road. Or up the road I should say.

ronwx5x
01-16-2009, 06:18 PM
Wish me luck!

I see they have a golf course in Glenrock, WY. Should have no problem getting a tee time, but take your orange balls!:eek: