PDA

View Full Version : Local Stock Shows

Bubba-Joe
01-14-2009, 09:47 PM
how many of you downlowers have children that are involved in the local stock shows?
Some folks will make fools of themselves just to give their children a chance to show at the local stock shows.

Looking4number8
01-14-2009, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Bubba-Joe
Some folks will make fools of themselves just to give their children a chance to show at the local stock shows.

What do you mean? My boy showed his goat last week. Got 6th in his class and that made the Saturday show. Earned him $500 in the sale. That might not be the greatest but I was proud of him...... I was also very very happy to see the goat leave my side yard. (His name was Cabrito)

Bubba-Joe
01-14-2009, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
What do you mean? My boy showed his goat last week. Got 6th in his class and that made the Saturday show. Earned him $500 in the sale. That might not be the greatest but I was proud of him...... I was also very very happy to see the goat leave my side yard. (His name was Cabrito)

SOUNDS VERY TASTY

UHMMMM CABRITO IS MUY BUENO

GetRDoneStangs
01-14-2009, 10:19 PM
how many of you downlowers have children that are involved in the local stock shows?

I didn't see any fools at our stock show tonight!!!

The only fools are the one's not taking the time to give their kids a chance to particpate and learn!!:clap: :clap:

Bubba-Joe
01-14-2009, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs
I didn't see any fools at our stock show tonight!!!

The only fools are the one's not taking the time to give their kids a chance to particpate and learn!!:clap: :clap:

I don't know someone out there trying to chase a rabbit down 2 or 3 ounces just to make the show

that is funny I dont care who you are

but the kid is excited and will have a good feeling about the stock show

GetRDoneStangs
01-14-2009, 10:38 PM
I don't know someone out there trying to chase a rabbit down 2 or 3 ounces just to make the show

that is funny I dont care who you are

but the kid is excited and will have a good feeling about the stock show

That is what it is all about!!!

StangGirl called during weigh in and actually acted like she missed it (2 years removed!)

I think I have as much fun as the kids......

Because I didn't have to feed and water them!

TinyTim
01-14-2009, 10:39 PM

How do you keep score and who determines the winner:D :D :D

GreenMonster
01-14-2009, 11:21 PM
FFA stands for Fathers Feed Animals. :cool:

lakers
01-15-2009, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster

Or older brothers in my case...

hookandladder
01-15-2009, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster

You hit the nail on the head, not all but in some cases this is what happens. My brother is one of them. He has a daughter who is a senior, their show is today which is when she will find out what color her show pig is. If you know what I mean. I showed pigs for 7 years in school and no one helped me, if I did not walk and feed him or her it did not happen but also there were parents back then that did everything for the kids and also knew the judge personally. So politics were also involved back then.

footballfan65
01-15-2009, 08:48 AM
Like the parents don't of athletes don't go above and beyond to help their kids. Butt kissing is just about the same aspect.

My kids do FFA and athletics. They do it all on their own. Yes....I may do an occassional feeding because of a sporting event, etc. But my kids are learning responsibility, money issues, etc.

Chopblock
01-15-2009, 09:00 AM
F F A Fathers Feeding Animals

not really

Silverback 04
01-15-2009, 10:53 AM
In some instances the stock show thing can be very beneficial. I've got a friend who has had his kids showing sheep since they were old enough. In that span the oldest has made enough money to have just bought herself a brand new Ford pickup truck (paid cash) and at the same time, due to some success, has probably earned herself an Ag scholarship to TAMU. Dad feeding those sheep has paid off in a big way.

STAggie
01-15-2009, 10:57 AM
Don't have kids yet, but I showed lambs since the time I was old enough to and did most of it on my own with a little help from the parents when needed. I loved it and it taught me a lot about responsibility. I also made enough money to pay for my entire A&M education.

Old Dog
01-15-2009, 11:03 AM
We are 8 years beyond "stock showing", but still enjoy watching all the hard work put in. Kids should do all their own work, but now a days have too many irons in the fire, so to speak.

My favorite show was I think in Early several years ago. The parents were not allowed in the grooming area to help....it was strictly kids only. Big kids had to help little ones. The youngsters learned more than ever during that event. It's really no different than little league, too much involvement by mom and dad!

footballfan65
01-15-2009, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Old Dog
It's really no different than little league, too much involvement by mom and dad!

AMEN -- My point exactly.