PDA

View Full Version : Liberty-Eylau??

Crow22
01-07-2004, 11:48 AM
Why is the head football job open?

kaorder1999
01-07-2004, 12:13 PM
cause they dont have a head coach...the superintendent asked thier former to resign...so he did

-----------------------

DRENNON RESIGNS AT LIBERTY-EYLAU
By Louie Avery:

The Texarkana Gazette learned Monday that Liberty-Eylau athletic director and head football coach Joey Drennon has resigned, effective at the end of the 2003-04 contract year.

"I was asked to resign by Superintendent Scott Niven," Drennon said from his home Monday afternoon. "I was never told exactly why. He's a new superintendent and I presume he wants his own man."

Drennon replaced David Ream in 2000 after Liberty-Eylau had won the 1999 Class 3A Division 1 state championship. He was a member of Ream's staff from 1989 until 1998, when he accepted an assistant's position at Texas High.

Drennon's first two seasons resulted in 7-3 records, but the Leopards missed the playoffs both years. The 2002 season was a disaster as L-E lost its final seven games to finish 1-8 and last in District 12-3A. Injuries forced Drennon and his staff to play several sophomores during the final weeks of the season.

L-E finished third in 12-3A this season and won a bi-district playoff game over Lindale before being eliminated by Gainesville, which will play Burnet for the state championship this week. The Leopards finished the season with a 5-7 record.

"I want the guys that I worked with at Liberty-Eylau to know I really appreciate them," Drennon said. "I appreciate the kids, teachers and parents that I worked with. Nobody has reason to be ashamed of what we did at L-E, and I do believe there are even better days to come here. Whoever replaces me will inherit a pretty good situation."

Drennon, 40, said he was proud of the entire boys athletic program during his 4-year leadership.

"I think we excelled in every program I was involved with," he said. "We went to the regional tournament in basketball for the first time in school history, and I think we'll be pretty good this season. We've done well in baseball, and we've been to regionals in golf two years in a row. We've had a regional qualifier in powerlifting every year, and a state qualifer last year. We've also been represented at state in track every year and we finished third in the team standings last spring."

Niven said Monday that the school district will post the job immediately and accept applications through Jan. 9, 2004.

"It is the district's hope to complete interviews during the month of January and hire a new coach by the middle of February," Niven said. "The district acknowledges Coach Drennon's outstanding character and dedicated service to the students of Liberty-Eylau ISD and wishes him the best in future endeavors."

Niven indicated he wants to find an individual who works best with the district's diversities, not necessarily the person with the best background.

"I'm looking for a coach who will be successful with our kids," Niven said. "We're expecting a number of applicants because there's a lot of opportunity for success here at L-E."

Drennon said he would be looking for a new head coaching job, and that he hopes to stay in the Texarkana area because of family ties.

Veteran coach Willie Allen will serve as interim athletic director until Drennon's replacement is hired. Allen served on Drennon's staff as co-defensive coordinator with David Daniels.

<small>[ January 07, 2004, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: kaorder1999 ]</small>

Crow22
01-07-2004, 01:46 PM
Who are the front runners for this job? They're usually pretty good.