PDA

View Full Version : Math Problem

Bullaholic
01-13-2009, 10:43 AM
I'm not a big fan of brain strainers but this one got me good because it should be so simple:

If a bat and a ball cost $1.10 together, and the bat costs $1.00 more than the ball---how much do each of them sell for?

Ranger Mom
01-13-2009, 10:47 AM
5 cents for the ball and $1.05 for the bat?

GreenMonster
01-13-2009, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
5 cents for the ball and $1.05 for the bat? That's too easy, it's gotta be something harder than that.

Bullaholic
01-13-2009, 10:50 AM

Smart lady.....That is correct. You are either very logical or have seen this before. I bet 90% or more of people answer with $.10 for the ball and $1.00 for the bat.

Ranger Mom
01-13-2009, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Smart lady.....That is correct. You are either very logical or have seen this before. I bet 90% or more of people answer with $.10 for the ball and $1.00 for the bat.

But that wouldn't have been a dollar more....I figured the answer as soon as I saw the question.

I thought there HAD to be some trick to it I wasn't seeing!!

STANG RED
01-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Well I suppose if your going to swing a $1.05 bat, you should probably only be hitting a $.05 ball.
A better ball would splinter it for sure.;)

Looking4number8
01-13-2009, 03:06 PM
Ok then, here is another.

3 men check into a hotel and the cost is $30 for the night. Each man pays $10. Later the manager realizes they paid the weekend rate and the cost is on $25. Manger send bus boy to room to refund $5. The bus boys thinks I will give them each back $1 and keep $2 for my self.

Each man gets his $1 back making them each pay $9. ($9 times 3 equals $27) The bus boy kept the $2. That makes for a total of $29. Where did the extra $1 go??????

gatordaze
01-13-2009, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8

3 men check into a hotel and the cost is $30 for the night. Each man pays $10. Later the manager realizes they paid the weekend rate and the cost is on $25. Manger send bus boy to room to refund $5. The bus boys thinks I will give them each back $1 and keep $2 for my self.

Each man gets his $1 back making them each pay $9. ($9 times 3 equals $27) The bus boy kept the $2. That makes for a total of $29. Where did the extra $1 go??????

The room cost 25.00 or 8.33 per person + 1 dollar refund = 9.33 per person. The bus boy has .67 per person 9.33 +.67 = 10.00 per person x 3 or 30.00

DU_stud04
01-13-2009, 03:37 PM
moo

Looking4number8
01-13-2009, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by gatordaze
The room cost 25.00 or 8.33 per person + 1 dollar refund = 9.33 per person. The bus boy has .67 per person 9.33 +.67 = 10.00 per person x 3 or 30.00

Yep, that sure cleared it all up... :confused:

rockdale80
01-13-2009, 04:05 PM

Each man gets his $1 back making them each pay $9. ($9 times 3 eguals $27) The bus boy kept the $2. That makes for a total of $29. Where did the extra $1 go??????

Each man has paid $9.
The bellhop has $2.
Difference
$9 x 3 = $27
$25

The hotel clerk has the other 25 dollars.

BILLYFRED0000
01-14-2009, 11:41 AM

I was doing factors with my 10 year old last night. Must have perked my brain cause I saw the answer right a way. Way to go Mom...... Great minds think alike.

BILLYFRED0000
01-14-2009, 11:53 AM

Did the problem backwards. Men get 3 and valet 2 . 3 + 2 is 5.
30 - 5 is 25. Numbers match. nice try tho.

waterboy
01-14-2009, 12:00 PM
What's REALLY scary is "Three men check into a hotel" = 3 men in one room.......and what kind of hotel has a rate of $25 a night?:eek: :D

Farmersfan
01-14-2009, 01:53 PM

It's a play on words. If the total was reduced from 30 dollars to 27 dollars then the 2.00 that the Bellhop kept was supposed to be substracted from the total of 27.00 instead of added. that leaves 25.00.

Farmersfan
01-14-2009, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
Each man has paid $9.
The bellhop has $2.
Difference
$9 x 3 = $27
$25

The hotel clerk has the other 25 dollars.

Sorry! I answered before I saw that you did it correctly......

Farmersfan
01-14-2009, 01:56 PM
Here is one that I heard years ago;

How far can a fox run into a forest?

crzyjournalist03
01-14-2009, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan

what size is the forest?

Farmersfan
01-14-2009, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
what size is the forest?

Does it matter?

crzyjournalist03
01-14-2009, 02:14 PM
Does it matter?

yes it does. because whatever the size of the forest, the math problem becomes simple geometry. Think of it like a circle. you start on the outside of the circle and work your way toward the middle. Once you reach the middle, you can't go any further into the circle. If you go anywhere, you're going out.

So, whatever the diameter of the forest is, the fox can only run exactly half of the diameter (known as the radii) into the forest.

Farmersfan
01-14-2009, 02:15 PM
A man is going to market. He is selling a sack of grain, a duck and a fox. He comes accross a river with a boat that will only allow him to take one item at a time. If he leaves the grain with the duck it gets ate and if he leaves the duck alone with the fox the duck will get ate. How does he get all three accross the river?
(and the river has gators so the duck can't swim).

Farmersfan
01-14-2009, 02:16 PM
yes it does. because whatever the size of the forest, the math problem becomes simple geometry. Think of it like a circle. you start on the outside of the circle and work your way toward the middle. Once you reach the middle, you can't go any further into the circle. If you go anywhere, you're going out.

So, whatever the diameter of the forest is, the fox can only run exactly half of the diameter (known as the radii) into the forest.

So have already answered the question.

A fox can run INTO a forest until he crosses the middle and then he is running OUT of the forest!!

Or Halfway would work as the answer also I guess.

44INAROW
01-14-2009, 02:19 PM
I hate math problems :mad:

crzyjournalist03
01-14-2009, 02:33 PM
A man is going to market. He is selling a sack of grain, a duck and a fox. He comes accross a river with a boat that will only allow him to take one item at a time. If he leaves the grain with the duck it gets ate and if he leaves the duck alone with the fox the duck will get ate. How does he get all three accross the river?
(and the river has gators so the duck can't swim).

Take the duck across.
Go back and get the fox.
Take the duck back with you.
Get the grain, leave the duck.
Leave the grain with the fox, and go back and get the duck.

Farmersfan
01-14-2009, 03:46 PM
Take the duck across.
Go back and get the fox.
Take the duck back with you.
Get the grain, leave the duck.
Leave the grain with the fox, and go back and get the duck.

Great Job!!! How many scrap papers did you have to use? Most people never think of bringing one of the items back on the return trip so can't figure it out.

crzyjournalist03
01-14-2009, 04:03 PM
Great Job!!! How many scrap papers did you have to use? Most people never think of bringing one of the items back on the return trip so can't figure it out.

It only took me a minute to process.

I had a similar puzzle get emailed to me at work about a year ago that involved 5 or 6 variables, and it was far more complex, so when I finally figured that one out, the others come easier.

PPHSfan
01-15-2009, 10:28 PM

Halfway, then he is running OUT.

crabman
01-15-2009, 11:53 PM
1) I was walking by the courthouse the other evening at 6 o'clock and the belltower started to chime. I noticed on my watch that it took exactly six seconds for the clock to strike 6. The following day at noon I was also walking by when the clock struck 12. It did not take 12 seconds for it to strike 12. How long did it take?

2) A water well is 30 feet deep. A squirrel falls into the well. Every day the squirrel climbs up 3 feet and every day he slips back 2 feet. How long will it take the squirrel to get out of the well.

3) A man works in a gumball factory where there are 10 gumball machines. Each gumball machine is supposed to make a gumball weighing 5 grams and dump them into a vat corresponding to that machine. One of the machines is making gumballs that weigh 6 grams instead of 5. With a single weighing on a scale, how do you tell which of the five machines is making the heavier gumballs? Hint. You can take as many total gumballs as you would like.

4) A man was reloading rifle shells and he had just reloaded five shells. After he was done he realized that he had left the powder out of one of the shells. He has a double pan balance type scale. With only two weighings, how does he find the shell with the missing powder?

MN95
01-16-2009, 10:07 AM

Easy, the extra dollar went to Celina's recruiting fund.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-16-2009, 12:45 PM
I work as a custodian for the local college. Sometimes, I go into classrooms and see incomplete math problems and finish them.

DDBooger
01-16-2009, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I work as a custodian for the local college. Sometimes, I go into classrooms and see incomplete math problems and finish them. its not your fault

coxjj
01-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by crabman
1) I was walking by the courthouse the other evening at 6 o'clock and the belltower started to chime. I noticed on my watch that it took exactly six seconds for the clock to strike 6. The following day at noon I was also walking by when the clock struck 12. It did not take 12 seconds for it to strike 12. How long did it take?

2) A water well is 30 feet deep. A squirrel falls into the well. Every day the squirrel climbs up 3 feet and every day he slips back 2 feet. How long will it take the squirrel to get out of the well.

3) A man works in a gumball factory where there are 10 gumball machines. Each gumball machine is supposed to make a gumball weighing 5 grams and dump them into a vat corresponding to that machine. One of the machines is making gumballs that weigh 6 grams instead of 5. With a single weighing on a scale, how do you tell which of the five machines is making the heavier gumballs? Hint. You can take as many total gumballs as you would like.

4) A man was reloading rifle shells and he had just reloaded five shells. After he was done he realized that he had left the powder out of one of the shells. He has a double pan balance type scale. With only two weighings, how does he find the shell with the missing powder?

1) Slightly longer than 12 seconds. When timing the 6 chimes you have 6 chimes and 5 pauses between chimes. When timing the 12 chimes, the last 6 chimes involved 6 chimes and 6 pauses. The exact timing is 1 pause longer than 12 seconds.

2) 28. The first thought is 30 days as it gains 1 foot per day. However, on the 28th day, when it is at 27 feet, it climbs 3 feet and reaches 30 and gets out.

3) It is first said that there are 10 gumball machines, then later 5. Assuming it's 5, then you take 1 gumball from machine #1, 2 gumballs from machine #2 and so on up to 5 gumballs from machine #5. If all was perfect, the 15 total gumballs would weight 75 ounces. With the assortment above, however many ounces over 75 you have is the number of the machine that is producing 6 oz gumballs.

4) Take the 5 shells and weigh 2 vs 2. If they are equal then the omitted shell is the light one. If not, take the pair that is lighter and weigh against each other.

Farmersfan
01-16-2009, 03:26 PM
3 light switchs downstairs.
1 switch turns on upstairs light and 2 switches do nothing.
You cannot see up stairs so if I give you just one trip upstairs how would you determine which switch turns on the upstairs light?

coxjj
01-16-2009, 05:27 PM
3 light switchs downstairs.
1 switch turns on upstairs light and 2 switches do nothing.
You cannot see up stairs so if I give you just one trip upstairs how would you determine which switch turns on the upstairs light?

Assuming that you know which switch setting is "off" and "on":
* Turn on the first switch and leave it on for awhile and turn it off
* Turn on the second switch
* Leave the third switch off
* Go upstairs
1) If the light is on, it is the second switch
2) If it is off and the bulb is warm, it is the first switch
3) If it is off and the bulb is cold, it is the third switch

slpybear the bullfan
01-16-2009, 05:40 PM
I have a supply of bacteria that divide in two... one time each hour.

I place one bacteria cell into the beaker. After 120 days and 12 hours I have filled the beaker half full. How much more time will it take to completly fill the beaker?

crabman
01-16-2009, 06:03 PM
One hour. They double and fill the beaker.

coxjj
01-17-2009, 11:38 AM
Two trains travel toward each other on the same track, beginning 100 miles apart. One train travels at 40 miles per hour; the other travels at 60 miles an hour. A bird starts flight at the same location as the faster train, flying at a speed of 90 miles per hour. When it reaches the slower train, it turns around, flying the other direction at the same speed. When it reaches the faster train again, it turns around -- and so on. When the trains collide, how far will the bird have flown?

DU_stud04
01-17-2009, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by coxjj
Two trains travel toward each other on the same track, beginning 100 miles apart. One train travels at 40 miles per hour; the other travels at 60 miles an hour. A bird starts flight at the same location as the faster train, flying at a speed of per hour. When it reaches the slower train, it turns around, flying the other direction at the same speed When it reaches the faster train again, it turns around -- and so on. When the trains collide, how far will the bird have flown? 90 miles... quit telling us the answers in the question...