PDA

View Full Version : Kent Jackson to Frisco Heritage? (merged)

DU_stud04
01-12-2009, 02:25 PM
heard a rumor earlier that Coach Jackson got a job up in Frisco....anyone know any truth to that?

Lion_Addict
01-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
heard a rumor earlier that Coach Jackson got a job up in Frisco....anyone know any truth to that?

Now........... that's pretty interesting :thinking: :thinking:

JR2004
01-12-2009, 02:36 PM
The wishbone is possibly coming to the Metroplex?

ccmom
01-12-2009, 02:36 PM
Hmmm..if you heard it at Whataburger...run with it!

Black_Magic
01-12-2009, 02:40 PM
http://img2.travelblog.org/Photos/17776/71146/t/559321-Jump-8.jpg

SWMustang
01-12-2009, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
http://img2.travelblog.org/Photos/17776/71146/t/559321-Jump-8.jpg

you've been implying that the well is running dry for 3 years now.

wildstangs
01-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Frisco Heritage is a new school opening with 9th and 10th graders in Fall of 2009. It is still listed as open on The Old Coach.

westcoast54
01-12-2009, 10:05 PM

From very reliable source...he's in the running but from what I was told they are still mulling over several resume's.

kepdawg
01-12-2009, 10:36 PM
If I would have seen this earlier I would have gone to the board meeting tonight.

kaorder1999
01-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
That's the word on the street around here.

seriously?

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-12-2009, 11:05 PM
That's the word on the street around here.

Yeah I read that on the thread that was about it.

pirate4state
01-12-2009, 11:05 PM
http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91389

kepdawg
01-13-2009, 12:07 AM
Nothing about it on SportsCenter.

3afan
01-13-2009, 06:55 AM
WHO IS Kent Jackson?

LH Panther Mom
01-13-2009, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
WHO IS Kent Jackson?
Sweetwater's HC.

Trashman
01-13-2009, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
WHO IS Kent Jackson?

Now that is funny!:fnypost: :spitlol:

Johnny Utah
01-13-2009, 08:49 AM
Frisco pays very well, career move....who knows....boosting retirement and amount of A's...probably so.

wildstangs
01-13-2009, 08:52 AM
Didn't know there was already a thread about it. Just what Ive been hearing around here. Frisco is a VERY tough place to win at. Im sure he's already headed to the THSCA Hall of Honor eventually, but if he can have the same kinda success there that he's had at Sweetwater, he's a freakin' coaching genius.

We scrimmaged Frisco in football this year. I talked to one of their coaches about how tough they have had it since they decided to open a new high school every couple of weeks. Would be a GREAT increase in salary for Jackson and he would give to live in a pretty cool area. Would be very glorious to win there.

mustang68
01-13-2009, 08:57 AM
It's a done deal.:(

GetRDoneStangs
01-13-2009, 10:01 AM
KXOX just announced he is headed to Frisco!!

BEAST
01-13-2009, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs

Sorry to hear about yall losing your coach. However, your Supt can probably call ours and get a hell of a list to start of with. We cut the list from 88 down to 8. Will have it down to 3 by the weekend.

BEAST

Lion_Addict
01-13-2009, 10:06 AM
Oughtta be plenty of interest out there to take over another program that's pretty rich in tradition. Of course, not as much as the WOOD......but pretty rich :devil: :D

GetRDoneStangs
01-13-2009, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Lion_Addict
Oughtta be plenty of interest out there to take over another program that's pretty rich in tradition. Of course, not as much as the WOOD......but pretty rich :devil: :D

Thats is funny!! NOT !!!

I bet we get a pretty good list as well. Alll you have to do is look at WOS87's top programs over the past 50 years!!!

Best of luck to Coach Jackson..you have been nothing but a class act!!

Looks like some really nice "digs" he is moving to!

Sweetwater Red
01-13-2009, 10:34 AM

Last day on the job is the 20th. A week from today.

GetRDoneStangs
01-13-2009, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

Yea...Frisco starts a new Semester and they want him to be there then.

Johnny Utah
01-13-2009, 11:14 AM
If I were a coach, a football coach, I would go to SWEETWATER!!! Great tradition.

Emerson1
01-13-2009, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
If I were a coach, a football coach, I would go to SWEETWATER!!! Great tradition.
Great tradition + lack of current talent = FAIL

Plus you have to live in West Texas

Black_Magic
01-13-2009, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1

Plus you have to live in West Texas Well, Tradition is a plus. If Talent has fallen off a bit and the Expectations are still to do what has been done in the past then it may not be a good place. Jackson did good but it always seemed that Folks there were not at all satisfied with him or the success he had. If the Talent is low for a few years then a new coach may have a really tough time because of unrealistic expectations.

vet93
01-13-2009, 11:21 AM
I have lived in the Metroplex and West Texas...I would take dusty, treeless west texas any day. There is more to life than a starbucks on every corner and JerryDome in your backyard...at least to some!

Originally posted by Emerson1

Plus you have to live in West Texas

Ranger Mom
01-13-2009, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by vet93
I have lived in the Metroplex and West Texas...I would take dusty, treeless west texas any day. There is more to life than a starbucks on every corner and JerryDome in your backyard...at least to some!

AMEN!!!

GetRDoneStangs
01-13-2009, 11:29 AM

Hey we have trees!!

vet93
01-13-2009, 11:32 AM
I am not sure that Mesquite trees and catclaw count!

Hey we have trees!!

Ranger Mom
01-13-2009, 11:36 AM

I have 7 globe willows, 1 weeping willow, 3 fruitless mulberry's, 2 live oak (which i don't think are EVER gonna grow), several Hybrid poplars and an Arizona Ash that died as soon as we put it in the ground last year....but I am gonna give it til the end of Spring to decide whether it wants to live or not!!:)

STANG RED
01-13-2009, 11:42 AM

Well they should. Mesquite is some of the best BBQing wood that exists. And Texas is known for great BBQ. :D

Seriously though, my whole neighborhood is full of big trees. I have a huge pecan and mulberry, and my neighbor across the street has the biggest elm I have ever seen. My next door neighbor has an amazing pecan tree that is about as big as I have ever seen.

But yea, if you get very far west of Sweetwater, the trees get smaller, fewer, and farther between in a hurry.

ccmom
01-13-2009, 11:49 AM

I heard at the Whataburger that his last day is this Friday, and he will start in Frisco on the 20th, but will be back for the football banquet on the 25th. But, you know how that Whataburger gossip goes....:D :confused:

Good luck Coach Jackson and family. :)

Red, since he is going to be gone....please tell me I won't have to be getting in any near fist fights defending your new coach. You know how shy I am, and I am just now getting over the shame of running my mouth to that "gentleman" from Vernon.:rolleyes: :D

GetRDoneStangs
01-13-2009, 12:10 PM
He will do his last radio show on KXOX this Thursday. I talked to Richard Furgeson (play by play on radio) a while ago and he said would be on the Thursday talk show at 8 am.

That will be a good one to listen to.

Coach Jackson does leave on Friday and Coach Barnes is the interim HC/AD.

kepdawg
01-13-2009, 01:15 PM
Since it's true I guess Snyder's coach will have a tough decision to make on which district opponent to go to

Sweetwater Red
01-13-2009, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by ccmom
Red, since he is going to be gone....please tell me I won't have to be getting in any near fist fights defending your new coach. You know how shy I am, and I am just now getting over the shame of running my mouth to that "gentleman" from Vernon.:rolleyes: :D

I hear our new coach is going to be Tim Tebow. He won't need
defending because Sweetwater will win 40 state championships
in a row. As a matter of fact all teams on next year's schedule
might as well forfeit now.

Sweetwater Red
01-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Since it's true I guess Snyder's coach will have a tough decision to make on which district opponent to go to

I heard something to that effect. But, I think you're just stirring the pot.:thinking:

kepdawg
01-13-2009, 01:21 PM
I heard something to that effect. But, I think you're just stirring the pot.:thinking:

Since Synder is the center of the football universe it seems like the logical place to go looking for a coach.

Sweetwater Red
01-13-2009, 01:42 PM
Since Synder is the center of the football universe it seems like the logical place to go looking for a coach.

Well, seeing how Sweetwater is perceived to be a "win at all
cost" kinda town, maybe that's the first place Sweetwater should
look for a new coach.:thinking:

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-13-2009, 02:23 PM
Well Elizabeth Jackson just put on Facebook that she is moving to Frisco on Friday so that makes it official, cause it's not until its on facebook.

BwdLion73
01-13-2009, 02:26 PM
I'm thinking that Freeman from Brownwood is looking at it....along with his defensive cood.:) However it's not been confirmed at the Whataburger.

STANG RED
01-13-2009, 02:27 PM
I hear our new coach is going to be Tim Tebow. He won't need
defending because Sweetwater will win 40 state championships
in a row. As a matter of fact all teams on next year's schedule
might as well forfeit now.

I also heard Tebow will be hiring Hugh Sandifer as his assistant. Dang that'll be sweet.;)

Texasfootball2
01-13-2009, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I also heard Tebow will be hiring Hugh Sandifer as his assistant. Dang that'll be sweet.;)

Who's Hugh Sandifer???????:D

STANG RED
01-13-2009, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
Who's Hugh Sandifer???????:D

Oh just some second rate coach from some insignificant school from what I hear. :p

ccmom
01-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Oh just some second rate coach from some insignificant school from what I hear. :p

Gosh...it must really stink to get beat OVER AND OVER by a school/coach like that!:( Just saying....:D

STANG RED
01-13-2009, 03:45 PM
Gosh...it must really stink to get beat OVER AND OVER by a school/coach like that!:( Just saying....:D

HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!! DONT JUMP MY BUTT OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was just passing along info I heard from others.
I think it was Bwood posters that was saying it.:D :p

Sweetwater Red
01-13-2009, 04:05 PM

Sandifer beating Sweetwater six out of the last seven times is
not "OVER AND OVER"!:mad:

Now it would've been seven straight....:D

ccraker
01-13-2009, 04:05 PM
Obviously, this is now official, but here is the story:

http://varsity.oaoa.com/articles/frisco_3218___article.html/isd_jackson.html

ccmom
01-13-2009, 04:32 PM

Funny how when you are on the wrong end of a streak like that, you always remember the exact numbers. :rolleyes: I would try to see it from your perspective, my friend...but I just can't relate.:confused:

It's all in fun, boys. ;) And just to prove what a good sport I am...let me buy you each a beer for every touchdown the Mustangs scored against Wylie this past season. Oh wait...that's not fair....for every FG....nope...every point...gosh, boys...I'm trying. :( :kiss:

Texasfootball2
01-13-2009, 04:33 PM
Funny how when you are on the wrong end of a streak like that, you always remember the exact numbers. :rolleyes: I would try to see it from your perspective, my friend...but I just can't relate.:confused:

It's all in fun, boys. ;) And just to prove what a good sport I am...let me buy you each a beer for every touchdown the Mustangs scored against Wylie this past season. Oh wait...that's not fair....for every FG....nope...every point...gosh, boys...I'm trying. :( :kiss: You could by them a beer for every first down and they wouldn't even be drunk:D

Sweetwater Red
01-13-2009, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
You could by them a beer for every first down and they wouldn't even be drunk:D

I could drink a beer for every first down and every point scored
by both teams and not get drunk. Then again I like beer.:D

wildstangs
01-13-2009, 06:09 PM
This will be a neat situation for Jackson. Lots of coaches would love to start a brand new school from the ground up. I see that Jackson was chosen from over 100 applicants, so they must have a ton of faith in him. Will be very interesting to keep up with Heritage over the next few years. Frisco has divided up its talent so much that even the once proud Frisco High is suffering. Wonder if he will run the spread offense?

Can't wait to see who Sweetwater brings in as the new head coach. I figured at first it would promote Barnes (his son will be the new QB next year) but Pittman (superintendent) has said the district will want someone with head coaching and athletic director experience. I am sure some of the disgruntled "we never pass the ball" fans are giddy right now, but lets check back in a few years and see if this change will be good or not.

Snydertigersrul
01-13-2009, 06:42 PM
I heard at the Whataburger that his last day is this Friday, and he will start in Frisco on the 20th, but will be back for the football banquet on the 25th. But, you know how that Whataburger gossip goes....:D :confused:

Good luck Coach Jackson and family. :)

The gang at Whataburger in Sweetwater and Brownwood are fighting it whether I will be the new coach of the Mustangs or the Lions. Decisions, Decisions.

TheDOCTORdre
01-13-2009, 08:24 PM

that was our class that beat them =)

Sweetwater Red
01-13-2009, 09:33 PM
nm. wrong thread.:doh:

Emerson1
01-13-2009, 09:43 PM
Most of the FISD schools failed to field a JV squad, only a varsity and a freshman squad. Guess it's a step up in pay, status, class, and competition, but it looks like it'll be awhile before he has the horses to compete with DFW 4a teams. Actually, the word on the street is that Heritage will play their first two varsity seasons as a 3a school. That could get interesting.
So they will be like Wakeland and have 1500 kids year 2?

GetRDoneStangs
01-13-2009, 09:53 PM
This is from their web site......kinda hard to see.....for sure a growing area!!

http://www.friscoisd.org/news/admin/images/zones.jpg

You can look at construction/schools here....http://www.friscoisd.org/schools/

Matthew328
01-13-2009, 10:07 PM
Both Heritage and Lone Star will be 3A in 2010.....we need more 3A schools so thats a good thing....if Houston ISD would allow their 6 schools to drop down we'd have 8 3A districts in Region 3!

kepdawg
01-13-2009, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Both Heritage and Lone Star will be 3A in 2010.....we need more 3A schools so thats a good thing....if Houston ISD would allow their 6 schools to drop down we'd have 8 3A districts in Region 3!

So is FISD's projection that much off? I know it's only a projection but isn't 1134 a bit above 3A?

kepdawg
01-13-2009, 10:42 PM
Alot of the projected growth didn't pan out when the economy changed. Wylie's plan went from having 2 average sized 5a's to having an average sized 3a and a tiny 5a or possibly a large 4a. Rockwall and Rowlett have put their additional high school plans on hold for the time being, and Wylie had to revamp their plans in the middle of construction on their new HS. For some reason, Frisco continues to open a new school every month and now the kids could skateboard down the hallways of some of them for lack of crowding.

Lack of crowding is a good thing

1400+ in all the schools last realignment

By the time Heritage has seniors looking at 1600+ in all the schools

Sweetwater Red
01-13-2009, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
The gang at Whataburger in Sweetwater and Brownwood are fighting it whether I will be the new coach of the Mustangs or the Lions. Decisions, Decisions.

I thought you rommed yourself for like the sixth time.:confused:

Come to think of it...your post is grammatically correct and actually
doesn't need deciphering. That tells me that your wife...Tiger69
is posting under your user name.:thinking:

kepdawg
01-13-2009, 11:32 PM
Any word on coaches going with Jackson? Any guys on staff a possibility to replace him?

DU_stud04
01-13-2009, 11:46 PM
Any word on coaches going with Jackson? Any guys on staff a possibility to replace him? from what i hear, Coach Barnes is taking over untill they hire the new a.d. h.c.

GetRDoneStangs
01-14-2009, 12:16 AM
from what i hear, Coach Barnes is taking over untill they hire the new a.d. h.c.

He is real popular with the players.....but, probably won't get it yet due to no experience as a HC.

JR2004
01-14-2009, 12:55 AM
I thought you rommed yourself for like the sixth time.:confused:

Come to think of it...your post is grammatically correct and actually
doesn't need deciphering. That tells me that your wife...Tiger69
is posting under your user name.:thinking:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

STANG RED
01-14-2009, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul

Well not exactly drools. Truth is, both new HCs will be looking for a new jock scrubber, and water bottle washer, and word is that you are in consideration in both places for that position. But present administrations at both places feel confident that better qualified applicants will emerge once the new HC and staffs are in place. I would get my hopes up if I were you.

Phantom Stang
01-14-2009, 11:16 AM
Sweetwater coach accepts new job

By Evan Ren (Contact)
Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Kent Jackson has resigned from his post as Sweetwater’s head football coach after eight years to take the same position at the new Frisco Heritage High School.

Heritage, which will open as part of Frisco ISD in the fall, will play a junior varsity schedule in 2009 and begin varsity play at the 3A level in 2010.

Jackson, who finished with a 73-26 record with the Mustangs, never posted a losing season and never failed to reach postseason play. His final day at Sweetwater will be Friday. He will begin work at Heritage on Jan. 20.

“We’re very sad to see him leave but we’re very excited (about) the opportunity he has to open a new high school in Frisco,” Sweetwater ISD Superintendent Terry Pittman said.

Known for a methodical offensive approach and hard-nosed aggressive defenses, Jackson plans to take the same philosophy with him to Frisco, but isn’t shutting the door on new ideas.

In Frisco, he will have the opportunity to build a program from the ground up — a scenario he said has always appealed to him.

“(Sweetwater) is at the point you want to get to with a program as far as it being able to consistently perform,” Jackson said. “But coaches are guys who look for challenges and enjoy challenges.

“The good Lord leads you where you need to be at we feel like this is where he wants us to be at this point.”

At Sweetwater, Jackson enjoyed four seasons with 10 or more wins, including a 13-2 campaign in 2005 which saw the Mustangs reach the 3A Division II state semifinals.

Jackson’s final Mustangs team finished 10-3 in 2008, losing to Liberty Hill in the 3A Division II regional semis.

“It was one of the greatest blessings anyone could ever have,” Jackson said of his time in Sweetwater. “We’ve had some amazing young people who worked extremely hard and an amazing administration that understood what it took to be successful and constantly supported us.

“We’ve also been part of a great community which has loved and supported us in ways you can’t imagine.”

Jackson will also be departing from several longtime rivals, including Wylie’s Hugh Sandifer.

The pair squared off in several heated games with playoff implications, yet retained a close friendship.

“He’s a tribute to our coaching profession in the way he handles and takes care of business,” Wylie coach Hugh Sandifer said. “I know he was always more interested in the kids than (winning).

“Kent always took care of his kids always tried to teach them life lessons and values. He’s a good friend of mine and he’ll be missed in our district.”

Link (http://reporternews.com/news/2009/jan/13/sweetwater-coach-accepts-new-job/?partner=RSS)

NTHANO
01-14-2009, 11:40 AM
FYI, Barnes does have AD / Hd football experience. He was AD / Hd football at Seagraves HS for 3 seasons from 2004-06 posting a 25-11 record, that included 2 district, 2 bi-district, and 1 area championship. He was named coach of the year twice. The total program expericed success as well, the girls basketball team won a state championship, boys track won district, area, and regional championships, and finished 3rd at state track meet.

SWMustang
01-14-2009, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by NTHANO
FYI, Barnes does have AD / Hd football experience. He was AD / Hd football at Seagraves HS for 3 seasons from 2004-06 posting a 25-11 record, that included 2 district, 2 bi-district, and 1 area championship. He was named coach of the year twice. The total program expericed success as well, the girls basketball team won a state championship, boys track won district, area, and regional championships, and finished 3rd at state track meet.

Arlon Barnes?

DU_stud04
01-14-2009, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
Arlon Barnes? no, he retired a few years ago. The Barnes they are talking about was the offensive coordinator this past season, his son was the backup quarterback.

wildstangs
01-14-2009, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by NTHANO

Impressive. Why did he leave there to go to Levelland (was there before Sweetwater)? He wasn't the head coach at Levelland was he?

kepdawg
01-14-2009, 01:42 PM
Does Jackson have any school age children?

kepdawg
01-14-2009, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328

They count this fall? So Heritage gets 2 years of 3A ball with 4A numbers?

wildstangs
01-14-2009, 02:00 PM

Does Jackson have any school age children?

Two boys. Believe they are middle school age.

bigwood33
01-14-2009, 02:12 PM
They count this fall? So Heritage gets 2 years of 3A ball with 4A numbers?
Yes. We were with Frisco Wakeland for 2 years of varsity ball in 9-3A during that previous alignment. I would expect Heritage to play a JV schedule in '09 and varsity schedules after that. They will turn in their enrollment in Oct just like everyone else with only 9th and 10th grades. It is patently unfair that when they have 3 classes they will most certainly be above the 3A number but the UIL still allows them to do this. Lucas Lovejoy is the same way. When you have 2 classes and 700+ kids anyone with a brain can predict that the next year will put them in the 1000 range.

DU_stud04
01-14-2009, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Two boys. Believe they are middle school age. one should be a sophomore this next season, he started as qb for the freshman team this year, the younger one i believe will be a freshman and i think he plays on the line.

GetRDoneStangs
01-14-2009, 02:57 PM
Looks like they are being pretty aggressive on the replacement of Coach Jackson...(from SISD website)

Application deadline – February 6, 2009
Interview through February 18, 2009
Announce candidates – February 20, 2009
Report to SISD March 2, 2009 (negotiable)

Sweetwater Head Football Coach/Athletic Director (http://tx-sweetwaterisd.civicplus.com/jobs.asp?jobID=7)

kepdawg
01-14-2009, 03:20 PM
Looks like they are being pretty aggressive on the replacement of Coach Jackson...(from SISD website)

Application deadline – February 6, 2009
Interview through February 18, 2009
Announce candidates – February 20, 2009
Report to SISD March 2, 2009 (negotiable)

Sweetwater Head Football Coach/Athletic Director (http://tx-sweetwaterisd.civicplus.com/jobs.asp?jobID=7)

No point in messing around. I guess Jason Garrett better get on the ball!

Phantom Stang
01-14-2009, 03:43 PM
Coach Kent Jackson leaving Sweetwater
Written by Ron Howell
Wednesday, 14 January 2009

One of the most successful football coaches in Sweetwater history is leaving for a similar position in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex.
Kent Jackson, Sweetwater High School's head football coach and athletic director the past eight years, said Tuesday he has agreed to become the head football coach at a brand-new high school — Heritage — in Frisco. His first day on the job will be Jan. 20.
Frisco will open its doors in the fall of 2009 to just freshman and sophomore students. But David Kuykendall, who serves as athletic director for the Frisco school district, said plans call for Heritage to phase in a junior and senior class over the next two years.
Frisco is one of the fastest-growing cities in Texas, having swelled from a population of 6,000 in the early 1990s to roughly 100,000 today. Heritage will be the city's fifth high school — a sixth one is expected to open in 2010 — and it will compete at the Class 3A level with an initial enrollment of between 700 to 750 students, Jackson said. Frisco Heritage is expected to be a Class 4A school by 2012, he added.
Frisco Heritage will have to play a sub-varsity schedule this fall because the next University Interscholastic League realignment won't be until 2010. The football team is expected to schedule games against four other Metroplex-area schools that will also be opening next year.
Sweetwater has gone 78-26 (.750 winning percentage) since Jackson was hired in 2001, while making the playoffs in each of his eight seasons. The Mustangs' postseason record in that time is 17-8.
Jackson's 78 wins at Sweetwater are second in school history only to Tom Ritchey, who was 120-24-2 in 12 seasons from 1986-97. Jackson is also second only to Ritchey (11) in the number of playoff teams coached at Sweetwater. And just three coaches — Ritchey, W.T. Stapler (51-16-2 from 1980-85) and Laurance Priddy (54-15-2 from 1937-43) — had a higher winning percentage here than Jackson.
Jackson's best season was 2005, when Sweetwater was 13-2 and advanced to the state semifinals. That team also equalled the school record for wins in a season. However, the program has been amazingly consistent. Sweetwater won at least nine games all but once under Jackson and never lost a bi-district game. The Mustangs also reached the state quarterfinals in 2002 and 2004.
Sweetwater was something of a surprise team this past season. The Mustangs were picked by many "experts" to finish near the bottom of ultra-tough District 2-3A, but lost only to perennial power Abilene Wylie and advanced to the regional playoffs with a 10-3 record.
Before coming to Sweetwater, Jackson had a successful six-year head coaching stint from 1995 to 2000 at Olney where he was 45-21-1 with only one losing team.
A native of Seminole, Jackson is in his 23rd year as a coach. His first head coaching job was at Roby in the late 1980s, and he also served as an assistant football coach and head track coach at Odessa High School before going to Olney.
Kuykendall said Jackson was one of six finalists for the Frisco Heritage position, which initially drew a pool of about 175 applicants. The list of candidates was first reduced to 18 and then six before Jackson was officially hired by Frisco school trustees at a board meeting held Monday night.
"He's a quality person and a quality coach," Kuykendall said of Jackson. "We feel very lucky and very blessed to have him. There was some pretty good competition (for the job), but he was a slam dunk pick."
Jackson, who informed his players about his decision on Tuesday morning, said he contacted Kuykendall after learning about the job opening at Heritage.
"We've been blessed that some opportunities have presented themselves over the years," he said. "I feel this is where God's will is for us right now. I've never wanted to leave any place that I've left, but I think He puts us in places that he needs us."
Jackson admitted he is taking on "a very unique challenge" by becoming the head coach for a first-year football program at Frisco Heritage.
"We took over a program at Olney that was down and helped rebuild it. Then we came in here where the tradition was rich, and we were able to keep it going. But it's a very unique situation to take something from the ground floor and establish the tradition. We think it will be a great challenge and a very interesting experience."
Sweetwater ISD superintendent Terry Pittman said offensive coordinator Cory Barnes would serve as the team's interim head coach until a permanent replacement is named.
Pittman said the school district will post the job opening today on its web site as well as on the Texas High School Coaches Association's web site. Applications will be accepted starting Thursday and continuing through Feb. 6, he said.
The first round of interviews for a new coach will be conducted from Feb. 9-13, with a final round of interviews scheduled Feb. 15-18. Pittman said the school board would interview the final candidate and announce its choice for the job on Feb. 20. Pittman said he hopes the new head coach can start working here on March 2.
Jackson, who plans to return to Sweetwater for the school's football banquet on Jan. 25, said he will have many fond memories of his time here.
"It's been an amazing experience," he said, "and a special blessing to me and the entire family to be a part of a very, very rich tradition and a special community that is very appreciative of young people. I feel very honored to be just a small part of that tradition. We'll count it as one of our greatest blessings."
"It's exciting for him and his family," said Pittman. "We know how much he will be missed, not just for his win-loss record but for the impact he's had on young people here. He'll be a tough man to replace."

http://www.sweetwaterreporter.com/content/view/130306/1/

Johnny Utah
01-14-2009, 03:47 PM
Good sign they will hire from within.

Eagle1
01-14-2009, 08:28 PM
I can't believe someone would leave a great place like Sweetwater where football is king and family values are still important to go live in the Metromess. I bet he will regret leaving Sweetwater.

Trashman
01-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Sweetwater is a nice place and Coach Jackson will regret leaving, all the way to the bank.:D

kepdawg
01-15-2009, 12:43 AM
Saw in the DMN that Frisco has 12,000 kids in Pre-K through 2nd grade right now.

BMOC
01-15-2009, 10:24 AM
I've know Coach Jackson since he has been at Sweetwater. GREAT GREAT Coach, and even a better person. We wish him and his family all the best. Congratulations Coach Jackson, it's been a pleasure watching and competing with your teams over the years.