PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Tony Dungy

JR2004
01-12-2009, 12:15 PM
You were a very, very good head coach and you seem like a very good man too.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3827058

Bullaholic
01-12-2009, 12:17 PM
The NFL loses a good coach and a great human being.

JR2004
01-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Fired or retired?

Left of his own accord. Glad for him though. That rare coach that didn't want to be a lifer and didn't let being a football coach define who he is.

IHStangFan
01-12-2009, 12:28 PM
:( We'll miss ya Tony......enter Bill Cowher.

Pick6
01-12-2009, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by JR2004

I'm surprised that he lasted as long as he did. One championship in how many seasons? He should of been gone along time ago :rolleyes:

JR2004
01-12-2009, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan

Jim Caldwell gets the job. He's been the head coach in waiting for a good while now in Indy. Sad to see Dungy go, but glad to see Caldwell get his shot now.

kaorder1999
01-12-2009, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan

nope....they hired his successor like 2 years ago right. Didn't they put it in Cowerts (however you spell it) contract? They wont even interview people

pirate4state
01-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
I'm surprised that he lasted as long as he did. One championship in how many seasons? He should of been gone along time ago :rolleyes: haha

Orange Defense
01-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Tony Dungy is a Class Act and will definately be missed!!! Just a matter of time before he is inducted into the Hall of Fame!!!:clap:

I started cheering for the Colts because of my admiration and respect for Tony!:thumbsup: Tony's unwavering faith is refreshing, especially in a painful time like when he lost his son!!!

sahen
01-12-2009, 12:41 PM
hopefully the AFC South just got easier....

Dungy will be missed, except for the 2 Sundays a year the Colts play the Texans....

JR2004
01-12-2009, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Orange Defense
Tony Dungy is a Class Act and will definately be missed!!! Just a matter of time before he is inducted into the Hall of Fame!!!:clap:

I started cheering for the Colts because of my admiration and respect for Tony!:thumbsup: Tony's unwavering faith is refreshing, especially in a painful time like when he lost his son!!!

Those HOF voters are a funny group, but I don't see how they manage to not put Dungy in on the first ballot.

Aside from winning a Super Bowl, the part of his career that stands out from a statistical perspective from that article is this...

"the first coach in league history to reach the postseason in 10 consecutive seasons and the only coach to preside over six straight seasons of 12 wins or more."

That's an amazing run of consistency to get in the playoffs for 10 straight seasons and to have six straight 12 win seasons...WOW. To go his final 12 years without a losing season is equally impressive. 10 of his final 12 years he won at least 10 games in the regular season.

Orange Defense
01-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Those HOF voters are a funny group, but I don't see how they manage to not put Dungy in on the first ballot.

Aside from winning a Super Bowl, the part of his career that stands out from a statistical perspective from that article is this...

"the first coach in league history to reach the postseason in 10 consecutive seasons and the only coach to preside over six straight seasons of 12 wins or more."

That's an amazing run of consistency to get in the playoffs for 10 straight seasons and have six straight 12 win seasons...WOW. To go his final 12 years without a losing season is equally impressive. 10 of his final 12 years he won at least 10 games in the regular season.

The only reason I can think of as to why he wouldn't get in on his first ballot is because he may come back out of retirment and continue to coach...??? Has there ever been an active coach that is also in the Hall of Fame? It's not a good reason not to induct him into the Hall of Fame but I can't remember an active coach that was in the Hall of Fame... Can anyone???

JR2004
01-12-2009, 12:54 PM
The only reason I can think of as to why he wouldn't get in on his first ballot is because he may come back out of retirment and continue to coach...??? Has there ever been an active coach that is also in the Hall of Fame? It's not a good reason not to induct him into the Hall of Fame but I can't remember an active coach that was in the Hall of Fame... Can anyone???

Joe Gibbs was a member of the HOF when he came out of retirement. He was gone for more than a decade though between his stints in Washington.

Orange Defense
01-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Joe Gibbs was a member of the HOF when he came out of retirement. He was gone for more than a decade though between his stints in Washington.

Yep, I forgot about him!!! That is a very unusual circumstance.. Wouldn't you agree? I doubt that anyone ever expected him to come back out of retirement...

JR2004
01-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Yep, I forgot about him!!! That is a very unusual circumstance.. Wouldn't you agree? I doubt that anyone ever expected him to come back out of retirement...

It seems to be extremely unusual. I sure never thought he'd come back. He got out of coaching because he was a workaholic and wanted to spend more time with his family. Even though his reasons for returning made sense (Get his son into coaching, help fix the franchise he helped win 3 Super Bowl titles...) it was still shocking when he came back.

I guess if Gibbs will come back you can never say never with Dungy either. I believe the waiting period for being eligible for the HOF is five years? Is that right?

Orange Defense
01-12-2009, 01:04 PM
I believe the waiting period for being eligible for the HOF is five years? Is that right?

Got me brother... I'll have to defer to someone else that knows the answer...

JR2004
01-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Got me brother... I'll have to defer to someone else that knows the answer...

Terry should know the answer to random stuff like this. Maybe if Grant were around he could give us an answer. Apparently his better half is still limiting his computer access!

Bullaholic
01-12-2009, 01:08 PM
I don't think Tony Dungy will return to the NFL. His words just seem to be from a man who is "burned out" and wants to leave the pressure of the NFL behind and do something meaningful in life, like helping others. I could see him in the college ranks, however, if he thought he could coach football and help shape some young men's lives---maybe in a Joe Paterno sort of way.

Sweetwater Red
01-12-2009, 01:35 PM

The Tim Tebow of NFL coaches?:thinking:

JR2004
01-12-2009, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
The Tim Tebow of NFL coaches?:thinking:

Whoa Red! Let's not put Dungy in that rarified air just yet!

GreenMonster
01-12-2009, 01:44 PM
I have a feeling Dungy won't be out of coaching long. I think he takes a year or two off and then goes after a college job. He made the comment after their last game that he wants to do something with younger men more in their formative years to have a greater impact on their lives. Dungy would make a great college coach.

Sweetwater Red
01-12-2009, 01:46 PM
Whoa Red! Let's not put Dungy in that rarified air just yet!

Good point. I tend to like coaches that are "players" coaches.
Although sometimes that works against them.:(

JR2004
01-12-2009, 01:49 PM
Good point. I tend to like coaches that are "players" coaches.
Although sometimes that works against them.:(

I hear Rod Marinelli wasn't much of a player's coach. If only he had been a player's coach there's no telling how this year would've gone for the Lions! :D

Sweetwater Red
01-12-2009, 01:59 PM
I hear Rod Marinelli wasn't much of a player's coach. If only he had been a player's coach there's no telling how this year would've gone for the Lions! :D

I read where he took a job as a DLine coach. He had a few
offers for DC. But, he turned them down. I guess he wanted to
do what he knows best. There's no question that the defensive
line will play harder just because he's there.

JR2004
01-12-2009, 02:02 PM
I read where he took a job as a DLine coach. He had a few
offers for DC. But, he turned them down. I guess he wanted to
do what he knows best. There's no question that the defensive
line will play harder just because he's there.

I believe he landed in Chicago. I actually felt pretty bad for Marinelli having to be the coach that went 0-16. It's hard to not have a healthy amount of respect for him.