PDA

View Full Version : Never want to trash talk a city...

PPHSfan
01-12-2009, 08:25 AM
But I'm down in Houston doing some work, and Houston Sucks.

I spent the Summer of '77 down here working, and things have not changed much. Whoever designed the streets down here must have been very drunk at the time. The crime is as bad or worse, and I've worked in some rough towns. ie New Orleans. It's sad that one of our Proud Texas Cities is such a crappy place to work.

P.S. I remember it was the Summer of '77 because I know where I was the day Elvis Died.:(

Sweetwater Red
01-12-2009, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan

I spent the Summer of '77 down here working, and things have not changed much. Whoever designed the streets down here must have been very drunk at the time. The crime is as bad or worse, and I've worked in some rough towns. ie New Orleans. It's sad that one of our Proud Texas Cities is such a crappy place to work.

P.S. I remember it was the Summer of '77 because I know where I was the day Elvis Died.:(

Have you ever been to Jackson, Mississippi?:speech:

PPHSfan
01-12-2009, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Have you ever been to Jackson, Mississippi?:speech:

Yes. I've been just about everywhere.

44INAROW
01-12-2009, 09:14 AM
Yes. I've been just about everywhere.

now I have that song in my head........ "I've been everywhere man" :D

sahen
01-12-2009, 12:44 PM
r u talking about the highways PPHS or the actual surface streets? surface streets take a while to get to know ur way around, esp. w/ all the one ways though they arent that bad once u figure it out....the highways are simple unless if u decided to venture out on them during rush hour....

JR2004
01-12-2009, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by sahen
r u talking about the highways PPHS or the actual surface streets? surface streets take a while to get to know ur way around, esp. w/ all the one ways though they arent that bad once u figure it out....the highways are simple unless if u decided to venture out on them during rush hour....

610 is not fun... :( I've almost wrecked twice on the northwest turn trying to continue going south. They have an exit there that comes up on you extremely fast and it's almost gotten me twice.

STANG RED
01-12-2009, 12:59 PM
I just spent about 8 weeks in Houston, and to my surprise it was a very pleasent experience. However, I was on the extreme NW corner (almost Tomball), so I wasnt in the mess much. I did have to get on 610 one day and go over by the Galaria area. Now that was bad, but at least I only had to do it once.

Right now I'm in a little town (Holdrege) of about 5,500 in the middle of Nebraska. I'd take Houston over this little hole in the wall any day. There are two big feed yards here, and the whole town stinks to high heaven almost every day. It's not just your normal feedyard sink. It also has a strong sour feed smell that makes it much worse. I'll sure be glad to get the hell out of here.

carter08
01-12-2009, 01:07 PM
I hate the highways, but I stay off of them usually.

The smaller roads were confusing at first, but I'm starting to figure them out.

JR2004
01-12-2009, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Right now I'm in a little town (Holdrege) of about 5,500 in the middle of Nebraska. I'd take Houston over this little hole in the wall any day. There are two big feed yards here, and the whole town stinks to high heaven almost every day. It's not just your normal feedyard sink. It also has a strong sour feed smell that makes it much worse. I'll sure be glad to get the hell out of here.

WOW...I'll be praying for you Mr. Red!

That reminds me of when I was playing ball in college and we traveled to Kansas for a game. The name of the town our hotel was in escapes me at the moment, but the whole town smelled like a pasture full of cows!

Bullaholic
01-12-2009, 01:11 PM

You're just mad because the Houston police won't let you work wearing nothing but your tool belt....:D

JasperDog94
01-12-2009, 01:20 PM
The crime is as bad or worse, and I've worked in some rough towns. ie New Orleans. One of the reasons for the higher crime rate in Houston is because of New Orleans. After Katrina, many of New Orleans' finest came to our city and tried to get away with some of the same junk they did in New Orleans. The crime rate spiked shortly after Katrina.

garciap77
01-12-2009, 01:58 PM
I just spent about 8 weeks in Houston, and to my surprise it was a very pleasent experience. However, I was on the extreme NW corner (almost Tomball), so I wasnt in the mess much. I did have to get on 610 one day and go over by the Galaria area. Now that was bad, but at least I only had to do it once.

How's that compare to Snyder?;)

STANG RED
01-12-2009, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
How's that compare to Snyder?;)

Well a front just blew in. The wind is blowing 50+ mph, and the chill factor has got to be well below freezing. And since Snyder is only 30 min. from Sweetwater, Snyder is looking real good to me at the moment. Dont get me wrong, Snyder SUCKS big time, but just not as much as this miserable place. And that's saying a lot. :D

JR2004
01-12-2009, 02:15 PM
Well a front just blew in. The wind is blowing 50+ mph, and the chill factor has got to be well below freezing. And since Snyder is only 30 min. from Sweetwater, Snyder is looking real good to me at the moment. Dont get me wrong, Snyder SUCKS big time, but just not as much as this miserable place. And that's saying a lot. :D

Don't worry Red...The 10 day forecast is looking pretty good!

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/tenday/USNE0241?from=36hr_topnav_business

STANG RED
01-12-2009, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Don't worry Red...The 10 day forecast is looking pretty good!

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/tenday/USNE0241?from=36hr_topnav_business

Problem is, I may have to head to somewhere in Washington state from here, before getting to head home. Worse yet, I may end up having to spend the rest of the winter up there.
We've been bidding projects all over Texas, but the one that we bid out in no mans land is the only one we know for sure we have right now.:crying: :weeping: :bigcry: :helpme:

pirate4state
01-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Hey Red what happened to you coming to Sinton? Did that not pan out?

STANG RED
01-12-2009, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Hey Red what happened to you coming to Sinton? Did that not pan out?

Still might happen. We didnt get the whole project, but it looks like we will be subbing the down tower wiring, and high voltage terminations from the company that did get it. Looks like that project will get started by late Feb or early March, so I may be down there by May. But I was really hoping to winter down there and summer up north. Looks like they are flipping that deal on me though.:mad:

pirate4state
01-12-2009, 02:49 PM
Still might happen. We didnt get the whole project, but it looks like we will be subbing the down tower wiring, and high voltage terminations from the company that did get it. Looks like that project will get started by late Feb or early March, so I may be down there by May. But I was really hoping to winter down there and summer up north. Looks like they are flipping that deal on me though.:mad:

Ewww yeah summers down here aren't any fun haha

turbostud
01-12-2009, 04:45 PM
I have lived in Houston and New Orleans. I didnt really mind New Orleans cause I was young and single and only had 2 things on my mind, drinkin and chasin tail. Now that I am older and wiser I would never move back to either one. But New Orleans sure is FUN!

injuredinmelee
01-12-2009, 07:01 PM
the biggest hole I have ever spent time in was Detroit. Was there for 2 1/2 weks and saw the sun twice.

SWMustang
01-12-2009, 07:20 PM

The ONLY way New Orleans is a better experience than houston is if you went to the absolute best part of New Orleans and compared it to the worst part of Houston. Even then it would be a toss up.

Trashman
01-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Suwon City, South Korea, makes Houston and New Orleans look like paradise. Got to vist there courtsey of Uncle Sam and 3 Corp in 1997. I can still smell the place when I think about it. Yuck!:(

Rabid Cougar
01-12-2009, 08:15 PM
Got you beat Trashman

Basra, Iraq and Umm Qasr, Iraq 2007-2008. Just me and 12 British Security guys in Armored Toyota Land Cruisers.

Houston in a much nicer place. No one shooting at you with AKs and setting EFPs and IEDs off every other block.

cameron91
01-12-2009, 08:31 PM
we talking about SCREWSTUN,TX..City of Sryup.. It goes down in H-TOWN..You're right nice place to visit and kick it.but would want to live their. Love dem Timmy Chan fried chicken Wangs..:D

SWMustang
01-12-2009, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by cameron91
we talking about SCREWSTUN,TX..City of Sryup.. It goes down in H-TOWN..You're right nice place to visit and kick it.but would want to live their. Love dem Timmy Chan fried chicken Wangs..:D

Ha-ha - Timmy Chan's - Chinese food when you're in the ghetto.

cameron91
01-12-2009, 09:00 PM
:D :D only in the HOOD , where you can buy Chinese food and fried Chicken at the same time:D :D

carter08
01-13-2009, 12:06 AM
Dude.

You don't know nothing about Houston fried chicken until you visit Frenchy's.

Best. Chicken. Ever.

I almost want to go back to college a week early just so I can eat there.

IHStangFan
01-13-2009, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang
The ONLY way New Orleans is a better experience than houston is if you went to the absolute best part of New Orleans and compared it to the worst part of Houston. Even then it would be a toss up. You know...after Katrina and the "refugees"....Houston's crime rate was said to have spiked some 300%......not sure how true that is....but makes you wonder.

IHStangFan
01-13-2009, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Trashman
Suwon City, South Korea, makes Houston and New Orleans look like paradise. Got to vist there courtsey of Uncle Sam and 3 Corp in 1997. I can still smell the place when I think about it. Yuck!:( OH yeah.....that place was a hole....and the whole damn country smelled of ......."fertilized rice paddies"....and you and I both know what they fertilized with......2 tours...1996-97 Camp Long (Wonju City) and 1999-00 Camps Carroll/Walker (Waegwan/Taegu). So....I hear ya, LOL.

DU_stud04
01-13-2009, 12:38 AM
:D :D only in the HOOD , where you can buy Chinese food and fried Chicken at the same time:D :D i love that place :)

carter08
01-13-2009, 02:48 AM
I pass Timmy Chan's every morning when I go to school.

I've never stopped there. Might have to one day.

SWMustang
01-13-2009, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by carter08

ehhh - you might want to re-think that.

injuredinmelee
01-13-2009, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
You know...after Katrina and the "refugees"....Houston's crime rate was said to have spiked some 300%......not sure how true that is....but makes you wonder.
I know a guy that i a fireman there and was at the astrodome when the Katrina refugees arrived. Stabbings fights. He says you name it we saw it.

cameron91
01-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Naw C..I like Frenchy's , but Timmy Chan you get more for your money.Come on where else can you get 6 wings and shrimp fried rice for less then 5 bucks. I can't think the name of this one place by UH , that gives Timmy Chan a run for its money..

Every time I'm in H-Town ..I hit Timmy Chan..on MLK...:D

Keith7
01-13-2009, 01:43 PM
I think El Paso is worse then Houston

carter08
01-13-2009, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
ehhh - you might want to re-think that.

ha.

because of the food, or because i don't have enough street cred to eat in the ghetto?

DDBooger
01-13-2009, 02:07 PM
Naw C..I like Frenchy's , but Timmy Chan you get more for your money.Come on where else can you get 6 wings and shrimp fried rice for less then 5 bucks. I can't think the name of this one place by UH , that gives Timmy Chan a run for its money..

Every time I'm in H-Town ..I hit Timmy Chan..on MLK...:D
Boat N' Net

cameron91
01-13-2009, 04:07 PM
carter..you know how it is..some people is just scared to leave the front porch..

I may just need to make a ride down to H-Town this weekend, get me some Timmy..

Is Kings Flea market still open.. needs some more knock off clothes :D

carter08
01-13-2009, 05:00 PM
carter..you know how it is..some people is just scared to leave the front porch..

I may just need to make a ride down to H-Town this weekend, get me some Timmy..

Is Kings Flea market still open.. needs some more knock off clothes :D

Is that the big one down south of UH, between Houston and Pearland? If so, I passed by there a few weeks ago and it was open.

STAggie
01-13-2009, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by carter08

Only place in the world you can get fried Chicken wings and fried rice with brown gravy on it. Love that place so much. I may have to make the hour drive to eat there this weekend.

cameron91
01-13-2009, 05:40 PM
Naw C , Kings is off MLK and 610 South in da HOOD.But I do know the one you're talking about. I just like Kings b/c it's down the street from Timmies.

carter08
01-13-2009, 05:43 PM
I might have to go check it out.

Me and my roommate are poor. We've been looking for a good flea market or resale shop in Houston. All the ones we find are way too expensive.

cameron91
01-13-2009, 05:47 PM
Kings is your SPOT...the have some nice prices in and out of the store.you may find a good deal at the bus stop. I bought my big screen from the bus stop. :D