PDA

View Full Version : Young wants out

eagles_victory
01-12-2009, 03:13 AM
ARLINGTON -- The Rangers have made it clear that they want Michael Young to move to third base to make room for rookie shortstop Elvis Andrus.
General manager Jon Daniels and manager Ron Washington presented that scenario to Young in a meeting in December and received a strong negative response. Young made it clear Sunday night that he remains adamantly opposed to moving to third base and has asked to be traded.

Daniels has had conversations with other teams, but said nothing is imminent. Daniels said he's still hoping Young will eventually agree to move to third, but it doesn't look like a strong possibility right now.

"I'm moving forward with Michael being a part of the 2009 Rangers club and beyond," Daniels said. "There has been a level of interest, but nothing that makes sense that will help us win a championship. It's not on the front-burner."

Young is opposed to the move because he said he was given no choice in the matter. Young said Daniels and Washington told him that he would be the Rangers' third baseman in 2009.

"I haven't been extremely reluctant to any requests, I've been extremely reluctant to any demands," Young said. "I want to make that clear. I've been basically told what's in store for me if I hope to be a Ranger next year. That I'm a third baseman.

"That's why I'm taking the stance I'm taking. The second they told me what they had in store for me, I gave it some thought, talked to my wife, talked to some teammates, former teammates and some prominent players around the league who I have a lot of respect for. To me, everybody has supported me in taking this stance. I haven't thought twice about it."

Daniels said this is about what they feel is best for the Rangers.

"To try and get where we want to be and win a championship, we want to get all our championship players on the field," Daniels said. "We feel Michael is a championship player and we feel Elvis will be one in short order."

But Daniels also admitted that Young's steadfast opposition does have the Rangers concerned.

"It's a factor," Daniels said. "Michael has been a big influence in our clubhouse and our community. It's our clear preference that we all get on the same page. It's something that has to be addressed. I have a lot of respect for Mike, and I realize we're asking him to make a move that he was not planning to make at this point. We realize we're asking Michael to put the team first, which he has done in the past.

"But at the end of the day, we feel confident it's in the best interest of the ballclub and Michael has always done what's in the best interests of the ballclub."

Young said it goes beyond that.

"It's about the message being sent to my teammates," Young said. "It doesn't matter how productive you've been, how hard you've worked or how many sacrifices you've made, your job can be torn away from you.

"I've done everything I can to be a team player. I have been loyal and respectful and accountable to my teammates. But this comes down to my job as a player. It's not like moving from second to leadoff in the lineup. Shortstop is my job. I've worked hard at it. I've earned it. I don't think I've done anything to have it taken away."

Young began his career with the Rangers in 2001 as a second baseman, then agreed to move to shortstop at the beginning of Spring Training in 2004 after Alex Rodriguez was traded to the New York Yankees. Since then, he has been selected to the American League All-Star team for five straight years and won his first Gold Glove in 2008.

"Whether or not I won the Gold Glove, I know I'm a productive shortstop," Young said. "As far as this goes, the Gold Glove doesn't enter into it."

The Rangers don't want to force Young to move. They want him to go willingly. They don't want a showdown in Spring Training similar to what happened with the Washington Nationals in 2006 when they basically forced Alfonso Soriano to move from second base to left field.

But Daniels adamantly insists that it's in the best interests of the team and pointed out that a number of outstanding players have switched positions in their careers, including Cal Ripken Jr., Craig Biggio and Robin Yount.

"You've had a lot of prominent players who have been asked to do something that's in the best interests of the club, and it's worked out well." Daniels said.

Said Young, referring to his move to shortstop in 2004: "I've done that, too, for my team."

Young is going into the first season of a five-year, $80 million contract extension that he agreed to in Spring Training 2007. But the possibility of Andrus taking over at shortstop has been strong ever since he was acquired from the Atlanta Braves on July 31, 2007, as one of five players in return for first baseman Mark Teixeira and pitcher Ron Mahay. He was one of the key players in the trade because of his outstanding defense.

But at the time, Andrus was 18 years old and considered years away from the Major Leagues. That gap is closing quickly. Andrus spent all of 2008 at Double-A Frisco, hitting .295 with 82 runs scored and 54 stolen bases. He also committed 32 errors at shortstop, but has always been considered one of the best defensive players at each Minor League level.

"Elvis brings several things," Daniels said. "He's going to be a premium defensive shortstop. I know he has high error totals in the Minors, but a lot of shortstops did. He has aptitude and maturity beyond his age. He can handle the bat. I don't know how much power he'll have, but he can steal bases and do the little things.

"If we had [All-Star third baseman] Evan Longoria at Triple-A, we wouldn't be asking Michael to do this. But we don't have one. We have a premium shortstop."

There was still some consideration about giving Andrus one season at Triple-A before asking Young to make the move. But the Rangers feel he's close to being ready and don't have any other any alternatives at third base. It's a weak free-agent market at that position, and the Rangers are clearly reluctant to go with Travis Metcalf.

"Everybody knows how I feel about Michael," manager Ron Washington said. "I'm sure it was a shock to him, but he's a professional. He needs time to think about it, but Elvis may be coming faster than we expected. I've always said that he's one of the best I've ever seen at catching anything he can get to. Being the athlete that he is, I'm sure he can make any adjustment that he wants to."

Young was asked if he might feel differently about the position switch if he felt he had a choice in the matter.

"That's difficult to say, but it wasn't presented that way," Young said.

Texasfootball2
01-12-2009, 09:16 AM
I think a lot of Micheal Young and I really hope he remains a Ranger. Being a huge Ranger fan I am glad that they are finally trying to do something beyond the norm of just signing a few big free agent bats every offseason. I think Young at third would be a great move for both he and the Rangers. Cudo's to Daniels for stepping outside the box for once a trying to do something. If they do end up trading him (and I hope they don't) I hope they get a good starting pitcher in the deal.

JMO

jockcity33
01-12-2009, 10:06 AM
I don't understand...how you take a guy that has been an all-star for 5 consecutive years at one position and move him to make room for a guy that mad 32 errors at double A last year. Yes eventually Young will need to move over to third, but not yet, he is too good at SS to need to move.

Texasfootball2
01-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by jockcity33
I don't understand...how you take a guy that has been an all-star for 5 consecutive years at one position and move him to make room for a guy that mad 32 errors at double A last year. Yes eventually Young will need to move over to third, but not yet, he is too good at SS to need to move.

I agree to some extent. But Young has very little range which means he seldom has to make any tough plays. The flip side is that Elvis has tremendous range and will get to balls that Young won't get to (which means their singles! if Young is at Shortstop). Getting to these balls put you into a tough throwing situation and there are going to be some bad throws, but at least it's not a single and Elvis will record some big outs by making some plays Young can't make. Yes the errors will always be higher but the upside is all the great run saving plays Elvis will make with his range.

"If you do what you've always done. Your going to get what you always had", which in the Rangers case is not good. Change sometimes is good. Move him to third and bring on the youngster in my opinion.

Pick6
01-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Trade Young if he's gonna cry about being disrespected because his boss told him to do something. He'll be traded next off season if he's not this season. Davis will move to third and last year's #1 pick will be playing 1st next season, if not late this season.

Red&White_9x5
01-12-2009, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Pick6
Trade Young if he's gonna cry about being disrespected because his boss told him to do something. He'll be traded next off season if he's not this season. Davis will move to third and last year's #1 pick will be playing 1st next season, if not late this season.

So if you are the Head Football coach and your Supt. come to you and tell you that even though you have made five consecutive deep playoff runs he is going to make you the Special Team Coordinator so he can bring in a up and coming rookie coach to be the head man, are you going to complain or want to leave??

Pick6
01-12-2009, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Red&White_9x5
So if you are the Head Football coach and your Supt. come to you and tell you that even though you have made five consecutive deep playoff runs he is going to make you the Special Team Coordinator so he can bring in a up and coming rookie coach to be the head man, are you going to complain or want to leave??

The Head Football coach probably has a contract that says he is a Head Football coach. The player has a contract that says he is a player, not a short stop.

Besides, for $80 million I'd be the water boy.

JR2004
01-12-2009, 11:58 AM
Hey since Young would like to leave town might I suggest calling Billy Beane? Range or no range, we'd have no problem leaving him at SS. :)

Texasfootball2
01-12-2009, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Red&White_9x5

I don't think this is a good analogy. This is Apples and Oranges. It would be more like the situation they had at the Denver Broncos. Head Coach had been very success, even won super bowls (ala being a 5 time all star at shortstop). The owner decided that the organization need to go in a different direction in order to take the next step at the present time so he made the change. The difference here is that Shanahan, being a first class individual, took it like a man and Young is whinning about it.

Don't get wrong. I love Micheal Young, but if he is truely in it for the team, and the team thinks they are better off with him a third base then he should take a page from Mike Shanahan and man up.

coach
01-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
I don't think this is a good analogy. This is Apples and Oranges. It would be more like the situation they had at the Denver Broncos. Head Coach had been very success, even won super bowls (ala being a 5 time all star at shortstop). The owner decided that the organization need to go in a different direction in order to take the next step at the present time so he made the change. The difference here is that Shanahan, being a first class individual, took it like a man and Young is whinning about it.

Don't get wrong. I love Micheal Young, but if he is truely in it for the team, and the team thinks they are better off with him a third base then he should take a page from Mike Shanahan and man up.

he already manned up once and switched from second to short...i think he has a good argument

Txbroadcaster
01-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by coach
he already manned up once and switched from second to short...i think he has a good argument

he offered to move, so he really did not man up when he moved to SS

coach
01-12-2009, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
he offered to move, so he really did not man up when he moved to SS

yeah he manned up and said hey i will try a new position lol

Texasfootball2
01-12-2009, 01:06 PM

So just because he made one move that was best for the team at the time exempts him from ever being ask to do it again. Young was a great Second baseman, and as a shortstop definitley has the arm for it but just doesn't have any range. With his quick hands and arm he would probably be one of the best third baseman in league because you don't need any range to play thirdbase, just quick hands and a strong arm. Both of which Young seems to possess. His bat would be an asset on any roster and he has always been a great clubhouse leader. If he wants out, I say trade him. He has great trade value and the Rangers have a lot of good young players. If they could get a great starting pitcher for Young, they would be a better overall team, because the Rangers are going to score runs with or without Young, but they are never going to win until they get some consistant starting pitching.

coach
01-12-2009, 01:29 PM
So just because he made one move that was best for the team at the time exempts him from ever being ask to do it again. Young was a great Second baseman, and as a shortstop definitley has the arm for it but just doesn't have any range. With his quick hands and arm he would probably be one of the best third baseman in league because you don't need any range to play thirdbase, just quick hands and a strong arm. Both of which Young seems to possess. His bat would be an asset on any roster and he has always been a great clubhouse leader. If he wants out, I say trade him. He has great trade value and the Rangers have a lot of good young players. If they could get a great starting pitcher for Young, they would be a better overall team, because the Rangers are going to score runs with or without Young, but they are never going to win until they get some consistant starting pitching.

well then why cant we terade the rookie if he is that good?

JR2004
01-12-2009, 01:38 PM

Andrus is a really good, but it's a crapshoot with him just like most prospects. He could be great, but he could also fall flat on his face like a lot of prospects. It appears the Rangers are willing to gamble with him at SS over Young.

Macarthur
01-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Very disappointed that Young is taking this stance.

Unfortunately, his contract is going to be very difficult to trade. This could get ugly if the club comes to him an says nobody wants to take on his contract so he must stay. What happens then?

Txbroadcaster
01-12-2009, 01:42 PM

why would you keep a 32 yr old SS who might be around if healthy 3-4 yrs at SS then would have to move and not keep the 18 yr old SS who has the chance to be 10 times better than Young ever was even when younger

coach
01-12-2009, 01:43 PM
why would you keep a 32 yr old SS who might be around if healthy 3-4 yrs at SS then would have to move and not keep the 18 yr old SS who has the chance to be 10 times better than Young ever was even when younger

i understand your point but if i were young i would be upset too....maybe young just wants to get on a winning team and this is way of doing so

coach
01-12-2009, 01:45 PM
this is like telling jeter to move to 3rd base bc there is an up and coming young star...the yanks would never do that...keep young at short and lets focus on pitching and winning

GreenMonster
01-12-2009, 02:02 PM
he already manned up once and switched from second to short...i think he has a good argument Amen Brotha! The guy moved to one of the most demanding positions in the game, and did nothing but make the All-Star game 5 years in a row. He didn't earn that spot by winning the popular vote either, he got that spot from the manager picking his subs. Apparently his range issues are relatively minor in the greater scheme of things when all of these professional managers keeps selecting him to be their back-up shortstop because of the respect he has garnered from them for the work that he does. The Rangers are making a mistake, a big mistake. If they feel like someone needs to make the move to 3rd then move the rookie. Let him settle in for a few years and then make the switch when Young is on the downside of this contract while still having some trade value.

STANG RED
01-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Sounds to me like the Rangers have 5 years and $80 million reasons to tell the guy where and when to play, so he should just shut his mouth and be thankful he gets to make an absurd amount of money to play a game.

Txbroadcaster
01-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Amen Brotha! The guy moved to one of the most demanding positions in the game, and did nothing but make the All-Star game 5 years in a row. He didn't earn that spot by winning the popular vote either, he got that spot from the manager picking his subs. Apparently his range issues are relatively minor in the greater scheme of things when all of these professional managers keeps selecting him to be their back-up shortstop because of the respect he has garnered from them for the work that he does. The Rangers are making a mistake, a big mistake. If they feel like someone needs to make the move to 3rd then move the rookie. Let him settle in for a few years and then make the switch when Young is on the downside of this contract while still having some trade value.

Why wait and still have a hole at 3b and a solid SS when you can make 3B a strength again and then bring up what MIGHT( and just a might right now) be in 3 years the best SS in the majors?

Again

If this was a player not as well liked 99% of the fans would be telling the player to shut up..but since it is Young people think he deserves a pass..I dont

he signed a contract that might be one of the worst in baseball as far as value to production and that contract does not say Young will always be at SS unless we ask really sweet and promise free cup cakes

As far as I know 60 million as a 3rb spends just as well as 60 million at SS, but I dont know the SS/3B exchange rate

MN95
01-12-2009, 03:11 PM
i understand your point but if i were young i would be upset too....maybe young just wants to get on a winning team and this is way of doing so

I agree. I'll bet if Young thought moving to third would give the Ranger's a real shot at the playoffs THIS YEAR, he would do it in a minute. This is just the excuse he needs to ask to be traded without seeming completely selfish. He just watched his friend Mark Tiexiera leave and make the playoffs, he is tired of rebuilding and hears that clock ticking.

Pick6
01-12-2009, 03:25 PM
Here's a good article about this subject.

Link (http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/01/the-good-face-of-the-franchise.html)

Texasfootball2
01-12-2009, 03:36 PM
His salary will make it a little difficult to trade him. But here are some trade options that my fellow Downlowers can pick at.

Option #1: Micheal Young and one of there good young catchers (like Salty).

To the Red Sox in return for Clay Buckholz (who the Rangers have coveted) and Julio Lugo.

This gives the Red Sox and veteran legitamate SS with last years rookie Jed Lowrie as a backup and a Backup Catch/1B in Satly. The Rangers would get a veteran SS in Lugo as insurance behind the rookie "Elvis" and the Left handed pitcher that has been mentioned in other trade rumors and who the Rangers love.

Option #2: Micheal Young and Salty to White Sox

In return Rangers get Alex Rameriz SS/2B as platoon type quality backup infielder and 30 year left Mark Buehrle. Chicago has only one catcher on their roster plus Salty can spot play both corners on the infield or DH if needed.

Rangers get a good LH Pitcher who may only have a few good years left in him and a good young infielder.

Both trades would still have to have some $$$ thrown in by the Rangers becuase of Micheal Young contract but both of the other teams could handle better part of Young's contract.

Oh' and both of these trades would give Micheal Young a chance to play for a team that will and is a contender. The Rangers owe him that much.

Pick6
01-12-2009, 03:44 PM

Oh' and both of these trades would give Micheal Young a chance to play for a team that will and is a contender. The Rangers owe him that much.

That's BS. The Rangers only owe him what is in his contract. He didn't have to sign the extension to stay with the Rangers. No one is owed an oppurtinity to go play some where else.

Texasfootball2
01-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
That's BS. The Rangers only owe him what is in his contract. He didn't have to sign the extension to stay with the Rangers. No one is owed an oppurtinity to go play some where else.

I see your point and I agree about signing contracts, but Micheal Young has been a great player for the Rangers on and off the field. He has represented well in the all star game and has been a great clubhouse leaders for a lot of good young players like Kinsler. He is probably on the downside of his career as far as being a seriously productive player. I would hate to see them trade him to a place like KC or Wahington were they are at the bottom and are going to have to totally rebuild. Thats what the Rangers have been doing the last several years. Thats what I meant by they owe him that.

Texasfootball2
01-12-2009, 04:17 PM
I just read on another Website where the Rangers are entertaining a possible trade with the Angels. I know, it surprises me that they would trade him within the division but......

The trade would be Young for Chone Figgins. Figgins will be a free agent at the end of next year and apparently the Angels don't think they will be able to sign him. If the Rangers are willing to agree to a contract extention and Angels are willing to take on the majority of Young's present contract this could be a possibility.

Figgins would give the Rangers a Switch hitting leadoff man and an everyday 3B.

I think this would be a good trade. JMO

MN95
01-12-2009, 05:21 PM
I would hate to see them trade him to a place like KC or Wahington were they are at the bottom and are going to have to totally rebuild.

I believe he has a no trade clause, meaning he has to approve the team he is traded to.

coach
01-12-2009, 09:13 PM
His salary will make it a little difficult to trade him. But here are some trade options that my fellow Downlowers can pick at.

Option #1: Micheal Young and one of there good young catchers (like Salty).

To the Red Sox in return for Clay Buckholz (who the Rangers have coveted) and Julio Lugo.

This gives the Red Sox and veteran legitamate SS with last years rookie Jed Lowrie as a backup and a Backup Catch/1B in Satly. The Rangers would get a veteran SS in Lugo as insurance behind the rookie "Elvis" and the Left handed pitcher that has been mentioned in other trade rumors and who the Rangers love.

Option #2: Micheal Young and Salty to White Sox

In return Rangers get Alex Rameriz SS/2B as platoon type quality backup infielder and 30 year left Mark Buehrle. Chicago has only one catcher on their roster plus Salty can spot play both corners on the infield or DH if needed.

Rangers get a good LH Pitcher who may only have a few good years left in him and a good young infielder.

Both trades would still have to have some $$$ thrown in by the Rangers becuase of Micheal Young contract but both of the other teams could handle better part of Young's contract.

i like the trades but salty is terrible...he cant hit and cant throw anyone out to save his life

crzyjournalist03
01-13-2009, 11:37 AM
So just because he made one move that was best for the team at the time exempts him from ever being ask to do it again.

No, because the team promised him when he made the move the first time that he wouldn't be asked to move again is the reason that he shouldn't be.

And Young's beef doesn't seem to be with being asked to play third. He's upset because he's been TOLD he's going to play third, and after everything that he's done for the team, you'd think they'd at least be willing to have dialogue about it.

It seems that Young doesn't really want to be traded, but used this as a way to get people back to the table for discussion. It seems both the Rangers and Young have softened their stance since yesterday, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see some sort of compromise where Young moves back to second and Kinsler takes over third or something.

Txbroadcaster
01-13-2009, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
No, because the team promised him when he made the move the first time that he wouldn't be asked to move again is the reason that he shouldn't be.

And Young's beef doesn't seem to be with being asked to play third. He's upset because he's been TOLD he's going to play third, and after everything that he's done for the team, you'd think they'd at least be willing to have dialogue about it.

It seems that Young doesn't really want to be traded, but used this as a way to get people back to the table for discussion. It seems both the Rangers and Young have softened their stance since yesterday, and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see some sort of compromise where Young moves back to second and Kinsler takes over third or something.

first off..Young made the move on his own to SS..If the Rangers bow to Young and dont make a move that they think is in the best interest of the team over what he wants, then it just shows the true sad state the team is in

I dont care that they told Young...They are his employer and they pay him FAR better than he should be paid.

Again..if this was TO people would be all over him for being a cancer..someone like Young does it and people are defending it

crzyjournalist03
01-13-2009, 12:00 PM
first off..Young made the move on his own to SS..If the Rangers bow to Young and dont make a move that they think is in the best interest of the team over what he wants, then it just shows the true sad state the team is in

I dont care that they told Young...They are his employer and they pay him FAR better than he should be paid.

Again..if this was TO people would be all over him for being a cancer..someone like Young does it and people are defending it

Regardless of whether Young chose on his own or not to move to short, the team promised him that he wouldn't be moved again when he did it.

Personally, I don't have a problem with any player requesting a trade if he deems that the direction that a team is heading is not in his best interest. It's their right to ask for that, and as the club valued Young to the point of giving him a no-trade clause, it's also his right to choose which team(s) he'd like to be traded to. Texas gave him those rights. And as far as him being overpaid, Texas offered him the contract; he signed it; he didn't demand to be overpaid.

Now, if Young shows up in spring training and demands a trade and refuses to take the field, that's a completely different scenario. I sincerely doubt that Young would take that approach. But as far as being told he's changing positions and then requesting a trade, I don't see what's despicable about that at all. The team could just as easily say "no".

Txbroadcaster
01-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Regardless of whether Young chose on his own or not to move to short, the team promised him that he wouldn't be moved again when he did it.

Personally, I don't have a problem with any player requesting a trade if he deems that the direction that a team is heading is not in his best interest. It's their right to ask for that, and as the club valued Young to the point of giving him a no-trade clause, it's also his right to choose which team(s) he'd like to be traded to. Texas gave him those rights. And as far as him being overpaid, Texas offered him the contract; he signed it; he didn't demand to be overpaid.

Now, if Young shows up in spring training and demands a trade and refuses to take the field, that's a completely different scenario. I sincerely doubt that Young would take that approach. But as far as being told he's changing positions and then requesting a trade, I don't see what's despicable about that at all. The team could just as easily say "no".

I have no problem with Young asking for a trade..I have a problem with his attitude of they should have asked me first

Texasfootball2
01-13-2009, 12:11 PM

My best guess is that the people who promised Young he wouldn't be move again are no longer with the organization. The present GM (Daniels) and Pres. (Nolan Ryan) along with the manager (Washington) where not a part of any promise and have the right to run the ball club with their own agenda since they are the ones who will get fired if the club has a below .500 winnning percentage, and while they will get fired Young will still be around and getting overpaid. So if I am the present GM, Pres., and Manager and I think that moving Young to third is best for the team and possibly allowing me to keep my job then I feel they have that right. Once again the prisoners are being allowed to run the show, but it's always the Wardens that get fired.

I have always been a huge Micheal Young fan, but I am siding with management on this one.:D It also bothers me that he said he would consider moving back to second but it would be with another team. Even if he softens up on his side, that kind of statement sticks in my crawl and makes me wander if he is truely in it for the better of the team or is like just in it for himself.

crzyjournalist03
01-13-2009, 12:15 PM
My best guess is that the people who promised Young he wouldn't be move again are no longer with the organization. The present GM (Daniels) and Pres. (Nolan Ryan) along with the manager (Washington) where not a part of any promise and have the right to run the ball club with their own agenda since they are the ones who will get fired if the club has a below .500 winnning percentage, and while they will get fired Young will still be around and getting overpaid. So if I am the present GM, Pres., and Manager and I think that moving Young to third is best for the team and possibly allowing me to keep my job then I feel they have that right. Once again the prisoners are being allowed to run the show, but it's always the Wardens that get fired.

I have always been a huge Micheal Young fan, but I am siding with management on this one.:D It also bothers me that he said he would consider moving back to second but it would be with another team. Even if he softens up on his side, that kind of statement sticks in my crawl and makes me wander if he is truely in it for the better of the team or is like just in it for himself.

I don't know that he said he wouldn't play second again for the Rangers. In fact, I think he'd willingly do that as a compromise. I think that he was trying to help the Rangers in potential trade discussions by pointing out that he would play second again.

Texasfootball2
01-13-2009, 12:24 PM
I don't know that he said he wouldn't play second again for the Rangers. In fact, I think he'd willingly do that as a compromise. I think that he was trying to help the Rangers in potential trade discussions by pointing out that he would play second again.

Well if you read the "quote" from the DMN article it came across in a very negative way. I know that the media can cut and paste different quotes and arrnange them in an article and totally change the perception of the statement to sound the way they want it to, even though the quotes are accurate. But there were other statements in the article that also had a negative spin to Youngs attitude. He also mentioned that this isn't a kneejerk reaction and that he took several days to talk to his family and other players before making his trade demands. Like I said, I have always been a big Micheal Young fan, but this will hurt his image as a Texas Ranger even if he stays with Texas, at least in my mind. An having been such a positive influence and role model for players like Kinsler, Davis, Byrd, Murphy, ect....What effect will this have on their development and attitude towards management and team concept for the future.

coachkiss
01-13-2009, 01:36 PM
Andrus is the real deal. I wish you could see the scouts at the Roughriders games that were salivating over this kid.

I'm not a huge defensive stat guy, but I don't need those to tell me that Michael Young lacks range. I can watch the TV and figure that out.

There aren't any teams in baseball right now that would pick up his contract without the Rangers:

A. Paying a significant part of it.

or

B. Getting little in return in the form of low prospects.

By handling it the way he has, Michael Young has actually diminished the little trade value that he has (due to his contract) and basically forced his way into staying here.

Texasfootball2
01-13-2009, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by coachkiss
Andrus is the real deal. I wish you could see the scouts at the Roughriders games that were salivating over this kid.

I'm not a huge defensive stat guy, but I don't need those to tell me that Michael Young lacks range. I can watch the TV and figure that out.

There aren't any teams in baseball right now that would pick up his contract without the Rangers:

A. Paying a significant part of it.

or

B. Getting little in return in the form of low prospects.

By handling it the way he has, Michael Young has actually diminished the little trade value that he has (due to his contract) and basically forced his way into staying here.

Good Post Kiss -

Also a lot of people are saying the Rangers are crazy for wanting to replace Young with a guy who made 32 errors next year. I don't thing they understand the Andrus has so much range that he will get to balls that Young can only watch go into the outfield as hits. By getting to these balls he put himself in positions to have to both hurry and make perfect throws. This creates opportunities to make errors but Andrus will also make some plays that will be game changing plays because of his range. It's not just about stats. Andrus has been compared to Greene of the Padres except they say he has more range. Thats scary to think of. I read one comment on another website where some baseball experts are saying that Andrus's defensive skills are worth 10+ wins per year, especially in 1 or 2 run ball games.

Keith7
01-13-2009, 02:05 PM
Young is being a baby.. he is being asked to move 15 feet over from his current position for the better of the team.. If he was truely the team player he has always claimed to be then he would do this..

crzyjournalist03
01-13-2009, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
Young is being a baby.. he is being asked to move 15 feet over from his current position for the better of the team.. If he was truely the team player he has always claimed to be then he would do this..

what about the arm strength and bunt responsibilities that change? Third base leaves you far more vulnerable to injury on the field than shortstop.

Keith7
01-13-2009, 02:24 PM
what about the arm strength and bunt responsibilities that change? Third base leaves you far more vulnerable to injury on the field than shortstop.

He has plenty of arm strength to make that throw and if Young is as nimble as he believes then he can handle the bunt..

Cal Ripken Jr and A-rod moved from short to third its not a big deal but Young wants to make it that way

Texasfootball2
01-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
He has plenty of arm strength to make that throw and if Young is as nimble as he believes then he can handle the bunt..

Cal Ripken Jr and A-rod moved from short to third its not a big deal but Young wants to make it that way

Actually if you list the skills that it takes to be a great third baseman Young possess all of them.

1. Quick hands check
2. Strong Arm check
3. Can throw accurately from different arm angles check
(overhand, sidearm, ect...)

You don't have to have great range, just great reactions because the ball gets on you so fast.

I think he would be one of the top three if not the best third baseman in the American league if he made the move with the right attitude.