PDA

View Full Version : The Whole Play-offs or BCS Argument

Txbroadcaster
01-11-2009, 08:13 PM
I ask this part tounge in cheek, but also part truly asking

Does a play-off REALLY determine the best team?

Or does it determine the best team at that moment of the season.

pirate4state
01-11-2009, 08:23 PM
why don't you just tell us what you'd like us to say HAHA :D

Txbroadcaster
01-11-2009, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
why don't you just tell us what you'd like us to say HAHA :D

oh cmon now..that is hurtful and mean and now I am sad

pirate4state
01-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
oh cmon now..that is hurtful and mean and now I am sad you were sad before all this started :taunt:

Txbroadcaster
01-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
you were sad before all this started :taunt:

hmm..maybe I was..not sure, cannot remember

pirate4state
01-11-2009, 08:33 PM
i'm telling you jes

goosealaniz
01-11-2009, 08:52 PM
this is what they should do...
take the conference champs from the six bcs conferences, and the next two highest ranking teams into the playoffs. also, they should have bowl games for the other teams that didnt make it to the playoffs, and have those games throughout the week... the number 1 and 2 seeds have a bye the first week... what do yall think...

PPHSfan
01-11-2009, 09:15 PM
A playoff determines a champion. Not the best team. There is no way to ever determine that.

Trashman
01-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by goosealaniz
this is what they should do...
take the conference champs from the six bcs conferences, and the next two highest ranking teams into the playoffs. also, they should have bowl games for the other teams that didnt make it to the playoffs, and have those games throughout the week... the number 1 and 2 seeds have a bye the first week... what do yall think...

I think we take the top 16 teams as determined by the averaging of the polls and have a playoff. Then play the bowls afterward, but it will never happen as long as the bowls keep throwing money at the schools. All this talk about a playoff system has been going on since the early 70's maybe even longer.:D

ccg
01-11-2009, 09:27 PM

A playoff does not necessarily determine the best team.

I'll give this simple example. Let's say we have a 3-team playoff with teams A, B, and C.

Suppose that if A, B, and C were to play each other, the games would have these results:

Team A:
Beats B
Loses to C

Team B:
Beats C
Loses to A

Team C:
Beats A
Loses to B

Now let's see what happens when we have a playoff with A having a bye. Looking at the results above, we see that B defeats C in the first round. Then, A defeats B in the championship game. A is the champion.

Now suppose B was rewarded the bye week. C defeats A in the first round. B defeats C, and B is the champion.

What happens if C is given a bye? A defeats B, and C defeats A. C is the champion.

The startling result is that the champion depends on the seeding of the playoff. This result is not unique to a 3-team playoff, or even this 3-way tie scenario. Similar scenarios can happen with any number of teams in a playoff.

There may be a team with fewest weaknesses. All it takes is for it to meet the wrong team in an early round.

In fact, this sort of problem happens in politics all the time. Proposals are passed in a "playoff" format where they are voted on in pairs by legislators. A nefarious politician knowing the preference of voters can manipulate the order of which proposals are voted to get the proposal he wants to pass.

Emerson1
01-11-2009, 10:03 PM
I don't think the goal is to crown the "best" team. A team's goal before the season in any sport is to win the championship and you put yourself in position to do that the best way you can. I don't think the Giants care that they were 10-6 going into the playoffs.

This goal of crowning the "best" team is what has flawed college football.

Originally posted by PPHSfan
A playoff determines a champion. Not the best team. There is no way to ever determine that.
Someone who knows what they are talking about. The goal is to be the Champion, not the best.

Black_Magic
01-12-2009, 12:23 PM

Or does it determine the best team at that moment of the season. Why even ask that? Of course you have folks who will argue who is better even after they lose. Thats not the Point. The Point is to find #1. You settle that by doing the same thing just about every other sport does it (except for College Football). You have a play-off. You take the top raited teams at the end of a long season and then you go until there is one left. We consider the superbowl champion to be the NFL champ. who ever came out on top would be considered to be #1 .

88bobcats
01-12-2009, 03:12 PM

Texas AAA football has play-offs and, at the end of the season, we still have debate about who's the best in DI.

You won't convince Abilene Wylie that Prosper is the best team.

Prosper simply won a single-elimination tournament in their eyes.

charlesrixey
01-12-2009, 10:01 PM
it takes a champion to be a champion

no matter who thinks who is best, a champion plays 5-6 games (in TXHSFB) in a field with all the other best teams, and wins regardless of who they play

no matter how good any team is, only one of them can be champion

this is why the system should be put in place for college football---this is also why it doesn't matter if anyone thinks a team like prosper wasn't the best---they couldn't possibly be the champion without winning it all

being a champion is the ultimate dream of every playoff team

the 'best at this part of the season' can only be applied in the case of injuries, and since they are a perpetual risk, you have to roll with the punches

Emerson1
01-12-2009, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by 88bobcats

You won't convince Abilene Wylie that Prosper is the best team.

Prosper simply won a single-elimination tournament in their eyes.
And that is what it is all about. It doesn't show your record on the championship trophy.

I don't think a 3-7 team would have any trouble raising a trophy after a miracle playoff run.

WylieBulldog92
01-12-2009, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1

I don't think a 3-7 team would have any trouble raising a trophy after a miracle playoff run.
Brownwood didn't make it? :)

Diocletian
01-12-2009, 11:29 PM
It would show which team can win when it matters most.

Who's a more sucessful baseball player?:: A-Rod or Jeter?

We see it time and time again, when an entire team just wants to get that championship soooo bad, they would give everythiing they have and some to achieve it.... and most other teams don't.

Sports heros are measured by their final game of a season and not the ones leading up to it.