PDA

View Full Version : Six Flags Over Texas to Sell Beer?

Trashman
01-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Six Flags patrons may soon be able to have a beer before Batman takes them flying on a roller-coaster ride.
On Friday, a state administrative judge recommended that mixed-beverage licenses for Six Flags Over Texas and Six Flags Hurricane Harbor should be approved.
"No unusual conditions or situations exist that would warrant refusal of the permits," wrote State Administrative Law Judge Tanya Cooper in the ruling.
Six Flags, which serves beer and margaritas at its park in San Antonio, said it was pleased with the decision.
"This is a service many of our guests have requested and one that we’ll be able to offer this season," said Six Flags spokeswoman Sharon Parker. The parks’ management has said that it plans to sell only beer at the two Arlington parks.
SeaWorld in San Antonio and Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels have sold alcohol at their theme parks for several years, as do Disney’s theme parks in Florida.
The two parks filed their intent to apply for the mixed-beverage licenses in December 2007. Hundreds of local residents wrote and called the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission’s offices to protest the application, including Arlington Mayor Robert Cluck.
"I’m disappointed, but I hope that Six Flags will be very careful in how they serve," Cluck said. He added he would feel more comfortable if the parks had proposed a way to keep track of the number of drinks a guest had and imposed a maximum limit.
Cluck said he would be meeting with the city’s attorneys on Monday to discuss any legal options. He did not expect that the city would file an appeal.
What’s ahead
The judge’s ruling is not final, and a process of appeals must be played out first before the ruling can be sent to the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission’s administrator to be signed. With Six Flags Over Texas opening on Feb. 28 this year, it is not likely that the park’s permits will be finalized in time for opening day.
Community reaction
Carl Fors, a Fort Worth resident who had also opposed the permit, said he was not surprised by the ruling even though he feels that the health and safety of the general public is at risk if the permits are granted.
"Texas leads the nation in alcohol-related fatalities," Fors said. "I feel that before a license is issued to an establishment like Six Flags that an alcohol impact study should be conducted."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What happened

A state administrative judge ruled on Friday that the alcohol permits of Six Flags Over Texas and Six Flags Hurricane Harbor should be granted.

What’s next

Parties unhappy with the decision have 15 days to file exceptions and the other party then has another 15 days to file responses.
The judge has 30 days to make any changes to the recommendation before sending it to the TABC administrator who makes the final decision.
Parties then have 20 days to file a motion for rehearing. If the permit is granted, then the protesters have no other opportunities to appeal.

DDBooger
01-10-2009, 12:15 PM
figured they had it, they sell alcohol and beer at Fiesta Texas

Emerson1
01-10-2009, 12:16 PM
Who would want to drink beer then go upside down while traveling 70 mph?

DDBooger
01-10-2009, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Who would want to drink beer then go upside down while traveling 70 mph? i did it, just don't get drunk, eat and do it. lol

Looking4number8
01-10-2009, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Who would want to drink beer then go upside down while traveling 70 mph?

It makes for a good excuse for us old guys. "Son, I would ride that with you but i just a couple of beer... Hey, lets go find the bumper cars"

DDBooger
01-10-2009, 12:19 PM
tony hawk ride only one that unsettled my stomach. Stupid thing just spins. :rolleyes: lol

STANG RED
01-10-2009, 02:17 PM
I dont know, but this seems like a recipe for desaster to me.
Although I've been to six flags on some very hot days and I would have loved to have had an ice cold beer on occasion. I'm just concerned about those that will inevitably over indulge.
But for the most part, I bet price will keep most of that under control. Heck the already way over charge just for food and cokes. I can only imagine what they'll charge for a beer. You can bet it'll be expensive.

Rabid Cougar
01-10-2009, 03:22 PM
No big deal. Most people will only be able to afford one beer anyway.

GetRDoneStangs
01-10-2009, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
It makes for a good excuse for us old guys. "Son, I would ride that with you but i just a couple of beer... Hey, lets go find the bumper cars"

Let's not teach our kids bad habbits

You know it's not smart to "Drink and Drive!!"

slpybear the bullfan
01-10-2009, 05:43 PM
Meh. State fair has had beer sales forever... Fiesta does it. WHy not?

JR2004
01-10-2009, 06:57 PM
I don't think this is a good idea, but oh well.

Trashman
01-10-2009, 08:21 PM
I would love to be thown-up on by some drunk on batman the ride.:thinking:

LH Panther Mom
01-10-2009, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
:doh: :doh: That's what I was thinking.

IHStangFan
01-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
No big deal. Most people will only be able to afford one beer anyway. LOL :clap:

RMAC
01-10-2009, 09:09 PM
As me and my buddies often say; I don't see how this can be a good decision.

gobbler grad
01-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Trashman

I'd be whipping some drunk arse when we got off that ride...:flaming:...........:D :D