I turned it down

Sweetwater Red
01-09-2009, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Gsquared
yet????

I did hear that Nick Saban is interested.:thinking:

LH Panther Mom
01-09-2009, 09:25 AM
I have read elsewhere that the application deadline is today.

jockcity33
01-09-2009, 09:39 AM
i heard that Todd Dodge was going to wait until the last minute before he faxed in his resume.

Orange Defense
01-09-2009, 09:43 AM
Rumor has it that Tebow is going to fore go his Senior year and NFL career to Coach at Brownwood...

BEAST
01-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Gsquared
yet????

Application deadline is today. We have had somewhere around 100 applicants. The board will sift through those and begin interviews of the top 10 or so. Going to have the coach hired by the next school board meeting which is Feb. 10th.

BEAST

I_DONT_CARE
01-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by BEAST
Application deadline is today.
PHEW! I'M NOT TOO LATE! :evil:

LH Panther Mom
01-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by I_DONT_CARE
PHEW! I'M NOT TOO LATE! :evil:
:eek: :eek: Oh, good Lord! Heaven help them! (Or any team, for that matter.)

:doh: :doh: You're a coach???????? :1omg!: :1omg!:

Johnny Utah
01-09-2009, 10:39 AM
Is the talent base way down? Serious replies please....Tough district.

BEAST
01-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
Is the talent base way down? Serious replies please....Tough district.

No, not at all. The Freshman and JV won district. Understand that we had 10 sophs and 1 fresh either starting or playing very significant roles on varsity. Brownwood will be very good very soon. Also, we have had 2 very good move-ins from what Ive been told.

BEAST

coach
01-09-2009, 11:06 AM
i turned them down and waiting on the cowboys head coaching job to open up

Johnny Utah
01-09-2009, 11:30 AM
I grew up close to Bwood, they used to be the REAL DEAL. My hometown is DEAD, dying as are most out that way. Hope they can turn the corner and get to dominance again.

Lion_Addict
01-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Hope they can turn the corner and get to dominance again.

Not gonna be long ;)

Sweetwater Red
01-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Brownwood will be very good

BEAST

Here we go again!:doh:

:D :devil: :D

nobogey72
01-09-2009, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Lion_Addict
Not gonna be long ;)

That's what she said!!!!

Texasfootball2
01-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
That's what she said!!!! :fnypost: :1omg!: :vrycnfsd:

Lion_Addict
01-09-2009, 02:42 PM
That's what she said!!!!

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/5809/roflsmiliemn4.gif

Friggin Dipschtick.......... :p

TinyTim
01-09-2009, 03:20 PM
I grew up close to Bwood, they used to be the REAL DEAL. My hometown is DEAD, dying as are most out that way. Hope they can turn the corner and get to dominance again.

Trust me on this one. If Brownwood gets the guy they are looking at, Bwood will be very competitive next year. The 09 shocker of the year is just around the corner.

Spaceman_Spiff
01-09-2009, 03:32 PM
TT...it may not be that much a shocker...the guys at the Palace Drug Store have it all figured out.

nobogey72
01-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by TinyTim
Trust me on this one. If Brownwood gets the guy they are looking at, Bwood will be very competitive next year. The 09 shocker of the year is just around the corner.

So, are you thinking that they could get to like 4-6 or maybe even 5-5?

BwdLion73
01-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Spaceman_Spiff
TT...it may not be that much a shocker...the guys at the Palace Drug Store have it all figured out.

Sorry Palace Drug has been closed down for more than a decade....However, if it was a couple of decades or so back that would have been the place to listen and get the information.:)

TinyTim
01-09-2009, 03:39 PM
So, are you thinking that they could get to like 4-6 or maybe even 5-5?

I don't know, but if they do what I think they will do. You are gonna have fun announcing this one.

LH Panther Mom
01-09-2009, 04:39 PM
:thinking: I think it's the Whataburger these days. ;)

Sweetwater Red
01-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by TinyTim
I don't know, but if they do what I think they will do. You are gonna have fun announcing this one.

Are you hinting that Brownwood might hire Sandifer or someone
off his staff?:thinking:

TinyTim
01-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

Definitely NOT!!!!!!!!

garciap77
01-09-2009, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

:thmbdwn:

Sweetwater Red
01-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
:thmbdwn:

Well he said shocker. That would be the only hire that would
shock me.

Eagle 1
01-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Brownwood folks, any creditable names on the table?

Spaceman_Spiff
01-09-2009, 07:06 PM
BwdLion73, I was pretty sure the old Palace Drug store was gone, but it's been awhile since I was in Brownwood. I did have the privilege of sitting in on a session when I was younger with Coach Wood and Coach Southall.

skins4life
01-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by coach
i turned them down and waiting on the cowboys head coaching job to open up

That would be a demotion wouldn't it?

BEAST
01-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
Brownwood folks, any creditable names on the table?

Not going to go out on a limb yet, but soon. And yes, very, very credible.

BEAST

TinyTim
01-09-2009, 11:06 PM
Not going to go out on a limb yet, but soon. And yes, very, very credible.
BEAST

But why would a coach like that step down to 3A.

cameron91
01-09-2009, 11:20 PM
bad year in bwood..

1.bwood didn't make the playoffs
2. their was no pecans to be picked, that why you saw people at bwood football games with a pillow cases , they want to see if the vistor had and pecans to give away..
3.all those 6 foot'ers shrunk, now they're like 4"8 and 5"2

Sweetwater Red
01-09-2009, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by cameron91
bad year in bwood..

1.bwood didn't make the playoffs
2. their was no pecans to be picked, that why you saw people at bwood football games with a pillow cases , they want to see if the vistor had and pecans to give away..
3.all those 6 foot'ers shrunk, now they're like 4"8 and 5"2

And you just wish Cameron
had the same history and success as any team from 2-3A.:thinking:

GreenMonster
01-10-2009, 12:46 AM
Just a guess here, but I'd be willing to bet Iowa Park coach Chris Ellis is an applicant. He is a Brownwood native and I believe he played on Gordon Wood's last state championship team. He was either a wing back or QB, I can't remember which. Hell of a good coach with strong morals. He's one of those guys that is good for the entire program because of the expectation level that he places on the kids for every aspect of their lives and not just football. I would hate to see him get away from Iowa Park, but he would be one heck of a steal and you just can't blame a guy for wanting to go back home.

Heffelfinger
01-10-2009, 09:31 AM
Bob Shipley

STANG RED
01-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Just a guess here, but I'd be willing to bet Iowa Park coach Chris Ellis is an applicant. He is a Brownwood native and I believe he played on Gordon Wood's last state championship team. He was either a wing back or QB, I can't remember which. Hell of a good coach with strong morals. He's one of those guys that is good for the entire program because of the expectation level that he places on the kids for every aspect of their lives and not just football. I would hate to see him get away from Iowa Park, but he would be one heck of a steal and you just can't blame a guy for wanting to go back home.

I dont know the guy at all, so you might be right. But you dont often see a guy move from 5A down to 3A. But I guess if the guy wants to come home, that might not make much of a difference to him. Money might not be a driving force in this situation.

cameron91
01-10-2009, 02:43 PM
sweetwater red... cameron has been their and done that..:D

Sweetwater Red
01-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by cameron91
sweetwater red... cameron has been their and done that..:D

Who all was in that district again? The one ya'll were in that was
loaded.:thinking:

coach
01-10-2009, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by skins4life
That would be a demotion wouldn't it?

actually this year that would be considered a lateral transaction

michaelp23
01-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I dont know the guy at all, so you might be right. But you dont often see a guy move from 5A down to 3A. But I guess if the guy wants to come home, that might not make much of a difference to him. Money might not be a driving force in this situation.

:confused: Iowa Park must be exploding in population. I could've sworn they were a 3A just this past year....:rolleyes:

Rabid Cougar
01-10-2009, 05:44 PM
Gordon Wood coming back?

Looking4number8
01-10-2009, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
Gordon Wood coming back?

He is still here my friend. He left so much in this town that he will always be here! We were so so lucky to have him!

BwdLion73
01-10-2009, 06:18 PM
BwdLion73, I was pretty sure the old Palace Drug store was gone, but it's been awhile since I was in Brownwood. I did have the privilege of sitting in on a session when I was younger with Coach Wood and Coach Southall.

I figured by your post that you had been around. The place was famous for G. Wood and friends sitting around tables talking football and drawing plays on the napkins.
:thinking:

GreenMonster
01-11-2009, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by michaelp23
:confused: Iowa Park must be exploding in population. I could've sworn they were a 3A just this past year....:rolleyes: Iowa Park is currently less than 100 students from the 2A cutoff.

Pick6
01-11-2009, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED

Jerry Bomar coached at Grand Prairie which I'm pretty sure was 5A and now coaches at 2A Callisburg. Callisburg isn't his home either.

Looking4number8
01-11-2009, 09:44 AM
Today's Brownwood Bulletin says that we have 88 applicants. Of those 41 have previous experience as head football coach/athletic director and 47 have served as either offensive or defensive coordinator.

I will post the full story (although there is not much more info) as soon as the bulletin makes it available on line.

Looking4number8
01-11-2009, 10:35 AM
Here is the story.

Interviews for new A.D./head coach likely to start this week
By Derrick Stuckly - Brownwood Bulletin
Published: Sunday, January 11, 2009 9:05 AM CST
The application process for the Brownwood athletic director/head football coach position ended Friday, and candidate interviews will likely begin later this week, according to Brownwood ISD assistant superintendent Kevin Gabaree.

As of 3 p.m. Friday, Brownwood ISD had received 88 applications for the position. Of those, 41 applicants have previous athletic director/head football coach experience, while 47 have served as either an offensive or defensive coordinator. Further information on the applicants was not made available.

A five-person committee - consisting of Gabaree, Brownwood ISD superintendent Dr. Reece Blincoe, Brownwood High principal Bill Faircloth, Brownwood High assistant principal Sandra Richardson and Brownwood Middle School principal Bryan Allen - will determine which applicants will be considered for interviews. Gabaree stated there was no limit to the number of applicants that will be interviewed by the committee.

“We’re not looking at a set number, we’re looking at the quality,” he said. “We’re going to take as much time as it takes to find the right one.”

Gabaree reiterated the top applicant is still expected to be presented to the Brownwood school board for approval at the Feb. 9 meeting.

Steve Freeman, who served as the Brownwood athletic director and head football coach for the past 12 seasons, announced his resignation on Dec 5.

During Freeman’s tenure as head coach, the Lions were 90-52 with nine playoff appearances - including one trip to the state semifinals and two berths in the state quarterfinals - and two district championships.