PDA

View Full Version : Big 12 Offenses (Frauds or the Real Deal)

I_Do_Care
01-09-2009, 12:32 AM
This has been discussed endlessly on 4a board...what are yalls thoughts?

DDBooger
01-09-2009, 12:33 AM
Hmm :thinking:

Electus Unus
01-09-2009, 12:34 AM
Is Texas the only big 12 south team to win its bowl game? If so that is very interesting. :thinking:

Emerson1
01-09-2009, 12:36 AM
OUs = Fraud. Hopefully the whole fad of "style points" with the media comes to an end when people realize that running the score up doesn't mean you are actually good.

westtxfballfan
01-09-2009, 12:38 AM
Frauds may be too strong a word, but, as much as it pains me, I think the bowls showed the Big 12 offenses were overrrated due to the poor defense played in the league. However, one legit excuse for the falloff in points by the Big 12 Os is the month-plus layoff. It has to affect the passing Os that rely so heavily on timing and precision, like the Big 12 Os, more so than the smashmouth run offenses.

trojan37
01-09-2009, 12:45 AM
I didn't understand OU, and it's not like I care anyway because I wanted them to lose, but they were moving up and down the field running the ball with Brown. I don't understand why they didn't stick to that. Oh well, good night all, and oh yeah, HOOK EM!

JasperDog94
01-09-2009, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
OUs = Fraud. Hopefully the whole fad of "style points" with the media comes to an end when people realize that running the score up doesn't mean you are actually good. Nah, the media will jump right back on the bandwagon next year with things like "this year's team is much better than last year's team because..."

Additup
01-09-2009, 06:04 AM
Big 12 offenses are as average as most other offenses if you break it down into points by POSSESSION instead of points per GAME.

When 2 passing teams play, they may end up with 15 possessions each and media cries "WOW - look at those numbers. They average 450 yds and 45 points a game." Implication is "great offense and terrible defense"

When 2 running teams play, they may end up with 8 possessions each and media doesn't notice. They average 320 yds and 32 points a game." Implication is "average offense and OK defense".

In the examples above the running team is a statistically better offense. They average 4 points per POSSESSION vs 3 points per POSSESSION for the 45 point passing team.

One basic rule skews GAME stats in football: Clock stops on incomplete passes.

Silverback 04
01-09-2009, 09:14 AM
If OU doesn't get stupid on 2 red zone they probably get at least 10 more points than they did. So lets say they should have at least 24. Thats 12 more than the rest of the country and the vaunted SEC did against that Florida D.
Additionally, the OU Defense held UF to 24 which is 21 below their season scoring average.

I think the answer is somewhere in the middle. Big 12 offenses are good no doubt. Some rust might be attributed to the effect of long layoffs between bowls and regular season end on offenses that require a lot of timing and rhythm.

Big 12 Defenses get labeled as weak because they give up alot of yards and points to offenses that throw the ball the majority of the time.

Great game between two great teams.

forum_guy
01-09-2009, 12:24 PM
good win gators.....as an lsu fan i gotta love the win....sec rules again