PDA

View Full Version : 4 Sport Athletes

kepdawg
01-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Does your school have any 4 sport athletes?

DDBooger
01-08-2009, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Does your school have any 4 sport athletes? I read an interesting study in sports sociology mag that spoke of the professionalization of high school sports has made it to where kids are SPECIALIZING in one sport at the expense of others. I don't know that 3A's have that luxury, but certainly in 4a and 5a. I know it has torn some coaching relationships in Calallen. Baseball players have devoted more time to preparation for that sport than they have dedicated to football.

MN95
01-08-2009, 01:24 PM
I can tell you that specialization is becoming more prevalent even at 3A Celina. Recently, it's mostly girl athletes. My daughter is a freshman and part of a very athletic class. They won district in JH both years in most sports. But, many of them are now not playing basketball, because of focus on volleyball or softball. It's a shame in my view.

cshscougar08
01-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Mike Hicks is now a four sporter with soccer. Football, soccer, baseball, and track.

Phil C
01-08-2009, 02:41 PM
I remember in high school at Freer they had one. In fact he was a five sport athlete. As a freshman he played and started on the football, basketball, baseball, track and field, and tennis teams. In fact if they had had a swimming team he would no doubt had been on the team. And these were the varsity teams not the freshmen or junior varsity teams. He started and lettered in all five sports and was very good in them. On top of that he was a B+ student.
As a senior he won second in state in both the shot put and discuss events.
He went on and played baseball at UT and pro baseball.

Phil C
01-08-2009, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
I read an interesting study in sports sociology mag that spoke of the professionalization of high school sports has made it to where kids are SPECIALIZING in one sport at the expense of others. I don't know that 3A's have that luxury, but certainly in 4a and 5a. I know it has torn some coaching relationships in Calallen. Baseball players have devoted more time to preparation for that sport than they have dedicated to football.

Hey DD I have heard that in Calallen they don't usually let their athletes play in more than one sport. For example I have heard they don't let football players play basketball and vice versa. Do you know anything about that?

DDBooger
01-08-2009, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Hey DD I have heard that in Calallen they don't usually let their athletes play in more than one sport. For example I have heard they don't let football players play basketball and vice versa. Do you know anything about that? actually it's been baseball players afraid to dedicate time to football offseason for fear of losing a position. Lot's rumors of riffs between Danaher and Chapman about it. I know they came to an agreement to reinstall Bootcamp prior to the baseball season in order to have them go through it. Years prior, even the benchwarmers on the baseball team weren't participating in it because of baseball. I've seen a dropoff in discipline on the field as a result. Not like poor sportsmanship, but fundamentals. We were only successful because we were pretty ice cold on the field. If we lost it was cause the other team was vastly superior physically. (La Marque:rolleyes: )

runtowin
01-08-2009, 02:58 PM
Too many in LH are specializing. They seem to think that they all have a chance for a scholarship in their specific sport. I guess they haven't noticed how many college athletes were multi-sport athletes in HS, even in big High Schools. College recruiters can see athleticism and they believe they can fine tune that to their sport. I have seen these kids play and I haven't seen any that stood out as scholarship athletes. They should be playing for the love of the sport and school pride not for scholarships.

RedWhiteBlue
01-08-2009, 03:20 PM
I'm not sure about 4 sports... but Graham has a large amount of 3 sporters- boys and girls.
I agree that it seems like here lately there seems to be more kids 'specializing' in 1 sport. I think it is actually kind of sad. I think they are missing out. I have also seen here lately where a kid may play a certain sport his freshman, maybe sophomore years, sit out his junior year and then decide they want to play their senior year. They say that they didn't necessarily miss the sport itself, but missed the comraderie.

Spaceman_Spiff
01-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Derrick Thompson of Glen Rose is a 5 sport athlete...Football, Basketball, Baseball, Track, Tennis...and a fantastic young man to boot!

RedWhiteBlue
01-08-2009, 03:40 PM
My son is a freshman and this year one of his golfing buddies decided to go 'golf only'. It was a little upsetting because he is a great football and basketball player. The freshman football and basketball teams have done just fine without him, but I feel like he is sort-of cheating himself.

MN95
01-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
My son is a freshman and this year one of his golfing buddies decided to go 'golf only'. It was a little upsetting because he is a great football and basketball player. The freshman football and basketball teams have done just fine without him, but I feel like he is sort-of cheating himself.

Someday, when that young man has to work for a living, he will regret that decision. I tell my kids to play in as many games as you can now, because someday you will miss them. I'm 48, and would give up many things to be back playing HS sports again. What a great part of my life that was.

RedWhiteBlue
01-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by MN95
Someday, when that young man has to work for a living, he will regret that decision. I tell my kids to play in as many games as you can now, because someday you will miss them. I'm 48, and would give up many things to be back playing HS sports again. What a great part of my life that was.
I totally agree!:D

Z motion 10 out on 2
01-08-2009, 04:07 PM
For the Vernon Lions, my daughter Whitney ran/played (Cross Country, Wrestling, Track and Softball). She also was a cheerleader and was selected to the Elite All American squad twice.

She won 9 varsity letters, went to regionals in track, cross country and wrestling, went to state in wrestling and placed 6th. No bad for an a 102 pound girl out of Vernon, Texas.

She earned a cheerleading scholarship to Washburn University.

RedWhiteBlue
01-08-2009, 04:52 PM
I didn't know they gave 'cheerleading' scholarships, Z! Wow- I learn something new everyday on this board. :D

Keith7
01-08-2009, 05:40 PM
I did football, soccer, baseball and powerlifting in high school so I was once a 4 sport athlete..

it really wasn't too uncommon when I was in high school for someone to do football, track and powerlifting so add 1 more sport (basketball or baseball) and you have a "4 sport athlete"

Z motion 10 out on 2
01-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
I didn't know they gave 'cheerleading' scholarships, Z! Wow- I learn something new everyday on this board. :D

She had two better offers in wrestling, but wanted to cheer. What I need her to do is transfer to K-State or KU and get on the cheer team there and then get her dad some free tickets to all the Big 12 games!!! She could start paying me back for raising her.:)

Rabid Cougar
01-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
Mike Hicks is now a four sporter with soccer. Football, soccer, baseball, and track.

Nope just three. No baseball this year.

runtowin
01-09-2009, 12:09 PM
How supportive are coaches of kids who play multiple sports? Do they share well?

pirate4state
01-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by runtowin
How supportive are coaches of kids who play multiple sports? Do they share well? Sadly, there are going to be some coaches out there that will try to influence kids, indirectly of course, to not play certain sports.

I think if a kid wants to play more than one sport, they should play without any pressure from coaches and even parents.

I've noticed alot of parents putting pressure on their kids to play one sport and funnel $$ into year round ball, it's ridiculous. The odds of your kid playing at the next level & beyond are slim! Let them enjoy their 4 years of HS.

{off soap box}

Spaceman_Spiff
01-09-2009, 10:55 PM
Nice picture Z...sounds like Whitney is doing great. How's Matthew?