PDA

View Full Version : Why do BCS fans?

kepdawg
01-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Think a debate about who is the best is a good thing?

Pick6
01-08-2009, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Think a debate about who is the best is a good thing?

Why do they keep crying endlessly about a playoff system when there won't be one in the forseeable future?

kepdawg
01-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
Why do they keep crying endlessly about a playoff system when there won't be one in the forseeable future?

I didn't realize BCS fans were crying endlessly about a playoff system.

I simply don't see how the pro-BCS "there is a debate" argument holds any weight. Do people think there would be no debate if there was a playoff or even if the system went back to the way it was pre-BCS?

BreckTxLonghorn
01-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
I didn't realize BCS fans were crying endlessly about a playoff system.

I simply don't see how the pro-BCS "there is a debate" argument holds any weight. Do people think there would be no debate if there was a playoff or even if the system went back to the way it was pre-BCS?

Agreed. Even if there was an 8 team playoff, then you'd hear about how #9, 10, etc got screwed over by 'style points,' 'conference bias', or 'greed.' While a playoff may work better, you'd hear just as much, if not more, crying or griping or whining or criticism or whatever you want to call it.

jason
01-08-2009, 01:20 PM
best scenario...

take the bcs top 7 - they are in the playoff...

make 8 and 9 play each other for the final spot in the playoff, that way the 9th ranked team has a chance to get in and it leaves little room for debate....

DUKE22
01-08-2009, 01:35 PM
I think one thing that is overlooked is that because of the BCS college football has the best regular season in all of sports. Every saturday the games are huge. I am in favor of a playoff but it has to be such that the importance of the regular season remains intact. March Madness is awesome but DUKE vs Georgetown in January simply does not mean alot to people who dont love college hoops.

DDBooger
01-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by DUKE22
I think one thing that is overlooked is that because of the BCS college football has the best regular season in all of sports. Every saturday the games are huge. I am in favor of a playoff but it has to be such that the importance of the regular season remains intact. March Madness is awesome but DUKE vs Georgetown in January simply does not mean alot to people who dont love college hoops. 8 teams out of how many? I'd say it would remain intact. 2 losses will find you outside of the top 8 easy. In some seasons maybe 1.

DUKE22
01-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
8 teams out of how many? I'd say it would remain intact. 2 losses will find you outside of the top 8 easy. In some seasons maybe 1. Yeah I agree.

Black_Magic
01-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Agreed. Even if there was an 8 team playoff, then you'd hear about how #9, 10, etc got screwed over by 'style points,' 'conference bias', or 'greed.' While a playoff may work better, you'd hear just as much, if not more, crying or griping or whining or criticism or whatever you want to call it. #9 or #10 may gripe and thats fine. The whole point is to find a resonable #1 team. Take the Top 8 and let them play off till one is left. So what if #9 feels left out. the point is to get a legit #1 and you would get that taking the top 8 and letting them hammer it out. The NFL does it and there is not a dispute who is the best in the end.

DUKE22
01-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
#9 or #10 may gripe and thats fine. The whole point is to find a resonable #1 team. Take the Top 8 and let them play off till one is left. So what if #9 feels left out. the point is to get a legit #1 and you would get that taking the top 8 and letting them hammer it out. The NFL does it and there is not a dispute who is the best in the end. You dont know crap LOL and yes there is dispute even with a playoff. A playoff does not always prove who the best team is but the team playing well at that time. If you think the Giants were better than the Pats last year your crazy. Did they deserve it, YES, but NE was the better team.

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2009, 01:52 PM
I think one thing that is overlooked is that because of the BCS college football has the best regular season in all of sports. Every saturday the games are huge. I am in favor of a playoff but it has to be such that the importance of the regular season remains intact. March Madness is awesome but DUKE vs Georgetown in January simply does not mean alot to people who dont love college hoops.

sorry but I always find this argument bs

Pro football and HS football have play-offs and people still flock in droves to see those boring non important regular season games

Utah then won the regular season, yet cannot play for NC title, so the whole regular season is important argument is out the window

DUKE22
01-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
sorry but I always find this argument bs

Pro football and HS football have play-offs and people still flock in droves to see those boring non important regular season games

Utah then won the regular season, yet cannot play for NC title, so the whole regular season is important argument is out the window I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. In my opinion there is no regular season like college football, the others do not compare. Like i said earlier i think an 8 team playoff would be ok, but the college hoops regular season is not real good because so many get in the tourny and they all have a shot to win.

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2009, 02:01 PM
I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. In my opinion there is no regular season like college football, the others do not compare. Like i said earlier i think an 8 team playoff would be ok, but the college hoops regular season is not real good because so many get in the tourny and they all have a shot to win.

No the regular season in college basketball is devalued NOT because of the NCAA tourney, but because of the conference tournaments that have automatic bids and in almost every conference every team gets to play in the conference tournament..THAT imo is what devalues college basketball regular season

DUKE22
01-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
No the regular season in college basketball is devalued NOT because of the NCAA tourney, but because of the conference tournaments that have automatic bids and in almost every conference every team gets to play in the conference tournament..THAT imo is what devalues college basketball regular season You are right there, those tournys are a joke. I do think that it is crappy that a team can go 32-2 and lose to UNC GREENSBORO in the second round and have nothing to show for a great season, but the fact that this happens makes those 31 regular season wins not seem important.

Black_Magic
01-08-2009, 02:10 PM
You dont know crap LOL and yes there is dispute even with a playoff. A playoff does not always prove who the best team is but the team playing well at that time. If you think the Giants were better than the Pats last year your crazy. Did they deserve it, YES, but NE was the better team. If I want any crap from you I will squeze your bald little nogin. The Giants were the best team in the NFL last year because they won the championship game. they beat the"BEST" team.

Emerson1
01-08-2009, 02:20 PM
I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. In my opinion there is no regular season like college football, the others do not compare. Like i said earlier i think an 8 team playoff would be ok, but the college hoops regular season is not real good because so many get in the tourny and they all have a shot to win.
That's because 64 teams get in. The regular season is already useless, this was proved with 45-35. The BCS lovers act as if a playoff would mean a 64 team tournament. When in reality you would still have to go undefeated or only have one loss and stay in the top 8.

DUKE22
01-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
If I want any crap from you I will squeze your bald little nogin. The Giants were the best team in the NFL last year because they won the championship game. they beat the"BEST" team. The Giants were the team that got hot at the right time. Remember now the Pats did beat them at there place the last game of the regular season. (AND I LIKE MY HEAD)

Pick6
01-08-2009, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
When in reality you would still have to go undefeated or only have one loss and stay in the top 8.

Boise St was undefeated and wasn't in the top 8.

DUKE22
01-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
That's because 64 teams get in. The regular season is already useless, this was proved with 45-35. The BCS lovers act as if a playoff would mean a 64 team tournament. When in reality you would still have to go undefeated or only have one loss and stay in the top 8. Once again I agree, I just dont want to see a 12. 16, or 24 team deal. I think eight is good and I think eventually that is what we will get, at least I hope.

crzyjournalist03
01-08-2009, 03:34 PM
Once again I agree, I just dont want to see a 12. 16, or 24 team deal. I think eight is good and I think eventually that is what we will get, at least I hope.

I think it will most likely be 12 teams just for some consistency with the BCS current format, then you can give byes to the top four ranked conference champions and still have some controversy.