PDA

View Full Version : Here is a question.

DUKE22
01-08-2009, 12:21 PM
What makes certain players in the prime of their careers basically be untradeable. You know guys like Jordan, Emmitt, Tim Duncan, Derek Jeter, Bird, Magic. I used to think it was simply winning. Then you see guys like Shaq getting traded and talks now of DWADE and LEBRON moving on in 2010. So what do you guys think. What makes a guy not only untradeable but also being a player that a team will extend contracts no matter what in order to keep them.

Looking4number8
01-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by DUKE22
What makes certain players in the prime of their careers basically be untradeable. You know guys like Jordan, Emmitt, Tim Duncan, Derek Jeter, Bird, Magic. I used to think it was simply winning. Then you see guys like Shaq getting traded and talks now of DWADE and LEBRON moving on in 2010. So what do you guys think. What makes a guy not only untradeable but also being a player that a team will extend contracts no matter what in order to keep them.

I think it is pretty simple. Ticket Sales! MJ (in his prime) single handed sold more tickets at both home and away games that trading him completly crazy!

This is not even talking about jersy's and the other goodies that a great player can get sold.

DUKE22
01-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
I think it is pretty simple. Ticket Sales! MJ (in his prime) single handed sold more tickets at both home and away games that trading him completly crazy!

This is not even talking about jersy's and the other goodies that a great player can get sold. Yeah but I would think AROD would sell more tickets than Jeter, and I think he is a better player than Jeter. However there is no doubt who they would part with first if they had too.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Yeah but I would think AROD would sell more tickets than Jeter, and I think he is a better player than Jeter. However there is no doubt who they would part with first if they had too.

There isn't that large of a gap in the level of play between the two of them, it's just more or less that Jeter is a more determined player and a better leader and provides nothing but a positive public image. A-Rod you can't say the same thing for.

STANG RED
01-08-2009, 12:40 PM
I think a lot of it has to do with how their contract is structured, how long it is, and how the athlete has performed of late. His skills may have deminished since the contract was written, but there still may be several years left in it at a higher pay rate than what he is actually still worth. Pretty hard to trade a high paid player with a long term contract that isnt performing up to the level that warranted that contract in the beginning. This is just in general, not talking specifically about Jeter or Arod. I really havent followed much about what have done the last couple of years.

crzyjournalist03
01-08-2009, 01:13 PM

Key difference...untradeable means that the team won't trade the player. Wade and James will be free agents in 2010, so their teams won't have any say.

Bullaholic
01-08-2009, 01:20 PM
The untradeable guys are usually team leaders as well. You will find that most of them are willing to work harder in the games and at practice and lead by example. Team owners and coaches are very aware of what these types of players mean to their teams and will do almost anything to retain tem and keep them happy. And one more thing---most of these players seem to steer clear of off-the-field/court trouble and keep their performance and contibution to the team effort as the most important things in their profession.

DUKE22
01-08-2009, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Key difference...untradeable means that the team won't trade the player. Wade and James will be free agents in 2010, so their teams won't have any say. Right but some teams will not allow certain players to become free agents. They give them what they want because they are that important.

Sweetwater Red
01-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Right but some teams will not allow certain players to become free agents. They give them what they want because they are that important.

They can't "not allow" a player to become a free agent. They can
try to offer him a new contract before his old one expires. But,
the player can turn down the offer inorder to test the free agent market.

DUKE22
01-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
the player can turn down the offer inorder to test the free agent market. You are right but they make sure by their offer they do not become free agents. They do what it takes to keep them there. Now you are right if they simply want to leave then I guess they can but for enough bucks people will stay put I believe.

crzyjournalist03
01-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
the player can turn down the offer inorder to test the free agent market.

Exactly!

Case in point:

Last summer, the Rangers really wanted to keep Mark Teixeira, but knew he would be worth a lot on the open market. The Rangers offered 8 years and $140 million for him to stay because they viewed him as a franchise player. He rejected because he wanted to test the open market.

A year and a half later, he signs with New York for 8 years, $180 million. Nothing the Rangers could do about that.

crzyjournalist03
01-08-2009, 02:22 PM
You are right but they make sure by their offer they do not become free agents. They do what it takes to keep them there. Now you are right if they simply want to leave then I guess they can but for enough bucks people will stay put I believe.

Salary caps in most leagues also prevent teams from paying "whatever they want" to players, and some of the legends you mentioned didn't operate in that structure.