PDA

View Full Version : One of Those Crazy Cowboy Scenarios

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2009, 11:29 AM
ok...as of now 2010 is an uncapped year

so here is one CRAZY possiblity

NE is going to franchise Cassell..so there is a chance they might after next year be willing to part with Tom Brady

IF and this is a big if but if he is close to 100%, do you think Dallas makes a run at him if next year Romo shows no improvment?

crzyjournalist03
01-08-2009, 11:31 AM
I think that if Tony Romo played exactly like he played this year next year, the Cowboys would bring in another head coach and give Romo another shot in 2010.

If the league is going to be uncapped in 2010 (I still think a CBA might get written before then to change that), then why wouldn't the Patriots just hold onto both of their high-dollar QBs?

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03

If the league is going to be uncapped in 2010 (I still think a CBA might get written before then to change that), then why wouldn't the Patriots just hold onto both of their high-dollar QBs?

draft picks..think about what it would take to get someone like Brady, or even Cassell

I just dont see either willing to play back up

Talking about giving Romo another chance in 2010....He is not a young QB, his window is alot smaller than alot of players because he developed late..I dont know how many more chances he gets

GreenMonster
01-08-2009, 11:33 AM
No. I don't see this happening. Apparently Jones is enamored with Romo. In all of the Shanahan rumors swirling around one of the key points is the shared admiration that both Jones and Shanahan have for Romo. I think Romo will be the Cowboys QB for as long as he wants to stay.

crzyjournalist03
01-08-2009, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
draft picks..think about what it would take to get someone like Brady, or even Cassell

I just dont see either willing to play back up

Talking about giving Romo another chance in 2010....He is not a young QB, his window is alot smaller than alot of players because he developed late..I dont know how many more chances he gets

Oh, I didn't realize you were talking about trading one of the two...I thought you were talking about them cutting one of them.

With the franchise tag, I think the Patriots basically bought an extra year of Cassel as insurance. You can't franchise a guy two years in a row if I remember correctly, meaning that in 2010, they'd either have to sign Cassel to a long-term deal or let him walk, and if Cassel is going to have to fight for a starting gig with Brady, I'd imagine he'd just walk.

And considering what the Cowboys went through before Romo, I think he gets a lot more chances than your average QB would.

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2009, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03

And considering what the Cowboys went through before Romo, I think he gets a lot more chances than your average QB would.

I think he does to..unless someone like a Brady drops in their lap

I also..no joke here..would not put it past Ole Belicheck to want Cassell more...no proof of this, but something tells me he liked the genuis tag back on him after this past year winning 11 w/o Brady

crzyjournalist03
01-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I think he does to..unless someone like a Brady drops in their lap

I also..no joke here..would not put it past Ole Belicheck to want Cassell more...no proof of this, but something tells me he liked the genuis tag back on him after this past year winning 11 w/o Brady

I can see that. I can also see Brady eager to prove that he's not just a product of a system. Brady's pretty cocky. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him jump to the Jets or something if Belichick decides to run with Cassel just so he'd get to play them twice a year. I could potentially see Brady wearing a number of uniforms (Washington, Philly, San Fran, Oakland, Minnesota, Buffalo, Miami, Jets), and I think that if he became available, there'd be so many teams jump on him that it would be difficult for Dallas to first convince him to come here and then secondly turn around and trade Romo.

Maroon87
01-08-2009, 11:50 AM
You know Shanahan had quite a bit of success with another talented, strong armed, mobile QB who seemed to wilt in the big games early in his career...a guy named Elway. Not saying that Romo is in Elway's league at all, but Shanahan was able to assemble the right pieces around him and won a couple of rings. Just a thought...

DDBooger
01-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
You know Shanahan had quite a bit of success with another talented, strong armed, mobile QB who seemed to wilt in the big games early in his career...a guy named Elway. Not saying that Romo is in Elway's league at all, but Shanahan was able to assemble the right pieces around him and won a couple of rings. Just a thought... Emerson always complained about Dallas giving up on the run. I think it's common sense the running game helps a qb. Did wonders for Delhomme. Cowboys when they lost Felix Jones kind of drifted away from it, but when used they were pretty successful ie Tashard Choice. That being said, that line was not all it was cracked up to be. Big yes, consistent?:thinking:

themsu97
01-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Belichick is no dummy, neither are Cassell and Brady... with all the reports of the problems with Brady's knee surgery the Pats need to keep Cassell... hopefully Cassell will ask for mulit years to put teh Pats in a stickysituation...
if Cassell gets multi years then that tells Brady he may be out as qb, hard to imagine isn't it? then Brady could go somewhere to try and stick it to the Pats... or if Cassell only gets the one year then he will do all he can to guarantee that someone will come looking for him... then big $$$$$... and he can stick it to the Pats...

but I do not see the Cowboys making a run at him... but I have also learned never to put anything past Jerry Jones

Macarthur
01-08-2009, 12:18 PM
Everybody is too quick to jump off the Romo bandwagon.

Tony will be fine. Really, the only area of his game that needs to be refined is those 2 or 3 bad decisions per game. I think that's much easier to fix than to hope you can bring in someone else.

One thing that I think will help him next year is if they dedicate themselves this offseason to becoming a power running team similar to the Giants. We have 3 quality RBs that we can run out there. If we commit to that, and Romo becomes more of a play action passer, I think you would see a drastic improvement. We need to stop using the damn shotgun as much as we do. Put both of those good TEs in the game and line up and hit people in the mouth.