PDA

View Full Version : T.O.--Stays or Goes?

Bullaholic
01-08-2009, 10:54 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that T.O. gets cut or traded by the Cowboys just because of the big "change" theme that is being touted in Valley Ranch---I think the Cowboys will look at T.O.'s release as a big step to a "fresh start" and will be one of the biggest things they can do to bring about change in the locker room. Again---just a little speculation on my part--no sources indicating that this is being considered.

I think "Tank" Johnson may get caught up in the spirit of this "change" thing, also. Many of the possible cuts or trades will be dictated by existing contracts and cap "hits", of course. I still think several player changes are imminent with the Cowboys and we'll just have to wait to see how many and who.

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that T.O. gets cut or traded by the Cowboys just because of the big "change" theme that is being touted in Valley Ranch---I think the Cowboys will look at T.O.'s release as a big step to a "fresh start" and will be one of the biggest things they can do to bring about change in the locker room. Again---just a little speculation on my part--no sources indicating that this is being considered.

I think "Tank" Johnson may get caught up in the spirit of this "change" thing, also. Many of the possible cuts or trades will be dictated by existing contracts and cap "hits", of course. I still think several player changes are imminent with the Cowboys and we'll just have to wait to see how many and who.

Tank is a FA and gone

crzyjournalist03
01-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Tank is a free agent...he's gone...there's no real guessing left on that one.

I have a feeling T.O. returns next year, especially if Jason Garrett doesn't.

Roy Williams (safety) is the most likely big name to be gone in my estimation.

Bullaholic
01-08-2009, 10:59 AM
Party at G$$'s house if the Cowboys do cut or trade T.O.....:D

pirate4state
01-08-2009, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Tank is a free agent...he's gone...there's no real guessing left on that one.

I have a feeling T.O. returns next year, especially if Jason Garrett doesn't.

Roy Williams (safety) is the most likely big name to be gone in my estimation.

I hope TO returns for another year, but if he doesn't, oh well...life goes on.

I'm excited about Roy Williams (WR) having a full camp with Romo next year! :)

I also wonder if JJ will go after a rookie QB or if he'll go to another veteran QB? :thinking: What veteran QBs will be available??

Macarthur
01-08-2009, 11:28 AM
I have thought TO would be back.

However, on another board, a poster that I know has some folks that would have more info that us average joe's, and he said there is decent chance TO gets cut before the SB. Evidently, JJ has gotten more and more frustrated over the last week and a half.

Ranger Mom
01-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state

I also wonder if JJ will go after a rookie QB or if he'll go to another veteran QB? :thinking: What veteran QBs will be available??

The maintenance guy here at my office just told me that they need to go after Michael Vick!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

crzyjournalist03
01-08-2009, 11:29 AM

Kurt Warner, but he's not coming here to play backup if he decides he wants to play.

Jeff Garcia...if T.O. stays, you can rule that one out, and I doubt he'd be willing to backup either.

Realistic names:

Kyle Boller
Charlie Batch
Rex Grossman
Patrick Ramsey
J.P. Losman
Todd Bouman
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Byron Leftwich
Luke McCown
J.T. O'Sullivan

I wouldn't mind Leftwich or maybe Carr, but I really think the 'Boys are going to be better off drafting one. I'm thinking a mid-round pick of someone like Graham Harrell, Todd Boeckman, or Chase Daniel is more likely.

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2009, 11:31 AM
Kurt Warner, but he's not coming here to play backup if he decides he wants to play.

Jeff Garcia...if T.O. stays, you can rule that one out, and I doubt he'd be willing to backup either.

Realistic names:

Kyle Boller
Charlie Batch
Rex Grossman
Patrick Ramsey
J.P. Losman
Todd Bouman
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Byron Leftwich
Luke McCown
J.T. O'Sullivan

I wouldn't mind Leftwich or maybe Carr, but I really think the 'Boys are going to be better off drafting one. I'm thinking a mid-round pick of someone like Graham Harrell, Todd Boeckman, or Chase Daniel is more likely.

If ur wanting a guy who can be a back up and win a couple of games if Romo is hurt then u better go the veteran route imo

also I would not touch David Carr, he has the reputation of being all about himself and a pretty boy, we have enough of those

I would like Luck McCown or try to bring in Chris Simm, or Leftwich

crzyjournalist03
01-08-2009, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
If ur wanting a guy who can be a back up and win a couple of games if Romo is hurt then u better go the veteran route imo

also I would not touch David Carr, he has the reputation of being all about himself and a pretty boy, we have enough of those

I have a feeling that the Cowboys would trust Brooks Bollinger for a game or two if they had to next year...not sure whether that's wise or not, but I'm also not sure that one of those FAs is a definite upgrade from Bollinger.

pirate4state
01-08-2009, 11:33 AM

but David Carr IS pretty :D

I like McCown and/or Leftwich, in case Romo gets a hang nail and can't play :rolleyes:

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2009, 11:35 AM
but I'm also not sure that one of those FAs is a definite upgrade from Bollinger.

uhhh I think almost everyone of them are

Electus Unus
01-08-2009, 11:35 AM
If TO is not back the Cowboys are in BIG trouble. I like Roy Williams a lot and he is a good receiver but he is not on TO's level. But as a poster said earlier it will be interesting to see how Roy fits into the offense after a full off season with Romo.

pirate4state
01-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
The maintenance guy here at my office just told me that they need to go after Michael Vick!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: You better tell your boss it's time for a random drug test! :D

KngKongInDTrunk
01-08-2009, 11:39 AM

No way I hope they get rid of him, but I have been saying that ever since they got him. I have been a Cowboys fan my whole life but this year I really am thinking hard about jumping on the Texans boat, but not a real fan of Houston :inlove:
Guess I will just keep hoping Jerry Jones has some sort of Plastic surgery "Mishap":inlove:

Bullaholic
01-08-2009, 11:40 AM

So am I, but you never asked me for my pic without a shirt for your sig....:D

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

So am I, but you never asked me for my pic without a shirt for your sig....:D

I did and next thing I know I get a letter from your lawyer..something about 500 feet from you at all times or something

Emerson1
01-08-2009, 11:41 AM
Bring in Caleb Hanie for backup QB.

They said on the radio yesterday that TO is only a 600k cap hit this season.

Macarthur
01-08-2009, 11:44 AM
I think McCown or Simms would be good options.

themsu97
01-08-2009, 12:14 PM
TO stays... Did he not just sign a 3 year extension? however... if the Boys do not have a good year I would not be surprised to see TO go at the end of next year...

I would like to see the Texans make a run at Tank Johnson...

I also see the Boys letting go of the other Roy WIlliams...

a full off season with wr Roy, TO, a healthy Whitten and Felix Jones and the Boys are pretty scary...

the Boys need to draft linemen and look for linemen in free agency... some of the Steelers are up, which is what I hope the Texans do as well...
they can draft a qb and let him sit there for two years and watch and live with Bollinger as a back up unless they can get someone cheap...ie SImms...

but like I said, if the Boys do not make the playoffs next year, I feel very safe in saying that noone is safe from the wrath of JJ

Texasfootball2
01-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Here's my prediction:

1. I think TO will be back (especially if Garrett leaves). He's to talented and fits the cap scale.

2. At QB I think they sign a guy like Chris Simms as a backup and then draft one of the Texas natives Harrell or Daniels in the draft to develop for the future. Simms would be a very safe and affordable option as a backup for a couple of games if needed.

3. I think Jones will make at least one block buster type of trade involving players like R. Williams (DB), Greg Ellis, Miles Austin, Robert Carpenter and/or one DL, for some draft picks and open up some cap room.

4. I will be shocked if they don't sign or draft a big name Cornerback.

5. Last but not least! I still think there will be a major shakeup in the coaching staff. Never before has there been this type of opportunity involving big name and great coaches who are available. Even though some may also be availble next year, I think Jones puts himself in a unpredictable pickle if he thinks he can wait a year to make a change. He wants to win "ASAP" and if they were to turn it around next year and win 11-12 games and a couple of playoff games he will be stuck will Wade and will have missed out on a great opportunity to hire someone like Shanahan, Shottenhiemer, Cowher, or Holmgren, any of which would be great in my opinion.

crzyjournalist03
01-08-2009, 01:11 PM
:mad: Two posts in a row with names misspelled that I specifically made a thread to address last week. :mad:

Texasfootball2
01-08-2009, 01:25 PM
:mad: Two posts in a row with names misspelled that I specifically made a thread to address last week. :mad:

Sorry, but you'll have to clarify some for me. Wasn't on here last week, and if I misspelled something it would be a total accident. And when spelling names you can never tell. People spell names that sound the excact same different ways so it's easy to misspell names. I know your a journalist and spelling is part of your life but I'm not and have never been a great speller.

Orange Defense
01-08-2009, 01:32 PM

IMO Chris Simms couldn't play college ball much less in the NFL... Now if Applewhite was available...:thinking:

Pick6
01-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Orange Defense
... Now if Applewhite was available...:thinking:

He was, and no one wanted him.

crzyjournalist03
01-08-2009, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
Sorry, but you'll have to clarify some for me. Wasn't on here last week, and if I misspelled something it would be a total accident. And when spelling names you can never tell. People spell names that sound the excact same different ways so it's easy to misspell names. I know your a journalist and spelling is part of your life but I'm not and have never been a great speller.

sorry.

Chase Daniel and Jason Witten were the two I was talking about. Those guys get talked about on here regularly, but people still call them Daniels and Whitten. Just a personal pet peeve of mine...no big deal.

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Orange Defense
IMO Chris Simms couldn't play college ball much less in the NFL... Now if Applewhite was available...:thinking:

actually yes Simms could play college ball and played it well

plus he lead the Bucs to the play-offs, he can play, is he great..no, but is a solid back up

eagles_victory
01-08-2009, 03:53 PM
First off letting Pac Man go doesnt mean it is going to be an offseason full of big changes in Dallas. If Phillips is back at coach you cant really say that Dallas made a bunch of big changes unless they just go crazy on letting players go.

IMO you keep T.O. for another year and give Roy Williams an offseason in Valley Ranch to work with the offseason. It is not time to blow this offseason up yet and go in a different direction. If this team is healthy all year which they never really were this year like it was said earlier this offense could be dynamic. Even though Im a huge T.O. fan and thinks he gets a bad rap or nothing sometime I wouldnt mind seeing Jerry sit him down and tell him that if anything like last year happens again he is gone and that it won't be tolerated next season.

As for quarterbacks I think you sign an older backup and draft a rookie in the mid rounds. I don't think right now you can be 100 percent sold that Tony Romo is your quarterback of the future (8-10 years)that is why you need to develop that mid round rookie pick.