PDA

View Full Version : Nickel defense

LH Panther Mom
01-08-2009, 09:32 AM
Can one of you gurus explain formations, options, etc in mom-speak? (And by gurus, I'm not talking about Madden/NCAA '06/7/8/9 experts. :p ) I don't need the "$.05 for Dummies" version, just not super technical.

MN95
01-08-2009, 09:35 AM
LHPM, I'm not exactly sure what you're asking for, but if it is an explanation of a nickel defense, I believe it's because a 5th defensive back comes on the field rather than the standard 4, in obvious passing situations.

I am certainly not a guru, so hope you don't mind that I replied any way.:)

jockcity33
01-08-2009, 09:54 AM
That is pretty accurate. I am going to try and Momify it a little more.
When the offense has the ball and a long way to go in order to achieve a 1st down, the defense will bring in another fast guy and take one of the slow guys off the field, the fast guy will then help cover the fast guys for the offense.

DDBooger
01-08-2009, 10:08 AM
Football Made Simple (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.firstbasesports.com/images/football_nickeldef.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.firstbasesports.com/football_excerpts.html&usg=__P1h0EZgNNsWjI6zDbWADBhjvrKk=&h=150&w=300&sz=4&hl=en&start=1&tbnid=rFBGV9hFRId3xM:&tbnh=58&tbnw=116&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dnickel%2Bdefense%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den% 26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DG)
:D

pirate4state
01-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Can one of you gurus explain formations, options, etc in mom-speak? (And by gurus, I'm not talking about Madden/NCAA '06/7/8/9 experts. :p ) I don't need the "$.05 for Dummies" version, just not super technical. Your best bet was to just send KAO a PM!

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2009, 10:33 AM
The Nickel is simply replacing a front seven with an extra DB

u can take out a DL and got with a 3 man front...or take out a LB and go with a 4 man front

crzyjournalist03
01-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Obviously, defensive formations are fluid, but here are some options for what a nickel defense could look like:

http://www.firstbasesports.com/images/football_nickeldef.gif

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg28/hoosierteacher/Strongnickle.jpg

Essentially, if a team has a third wide receiver on the field on offense, the defense will want to counter that with a third cornerback. If it's an obvious passing down, you might run the nickel defense even if the offense is running a standard two-back formation.

You really have the freedom to run almost any of your base plays out of the nickel. You can put your fifth DB either at the line of scrimmage, back with the safeties, or pretty much wherever you please. You're more likely to see a cornerback come on the blitz in the nickel because defensively, you theoretically won't have to throw a lineman or linebacker on a wide receiver if you're in the nickel.

The nickel is better against the pass than the run usually because you're taking out either a down lineman or a linebacker in order to get another defensive back on the field, and usually your linemen and linebackers are your run stuffers.

The reason it's called the "nickel" is because there are five defensive backs on the field. If you add a sixth, it's called a dime (because it's more than a nickel...the math stops working after nickel) and then if you add a seventh, it's sometimes called a quarter defense (the only time you'll generally see this is when a team is running a "prevent" defense).

Are those the kinds of things you were wondering about?

HM33
01-08-2009, 10:50 AM
actually if you take out a DL you are then in a 3-3-5, not a nickel :)... 4 DL and 1LB is the nickel.

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2009, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by HM33
actually if you take out a DL you are then in a 3-3-5, not a nickel :)... 4 DL and 1LB is the nickel.

a 3-3-5 is still a nickel package

crzyjournalist03
01-08-2009, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
a 3-3-5 is still a nickel package

yep...it's the 5 at the end that's key. You could run it any number of ways:

0-6-5
1-5-5
2-4-5
3-3-5
4-2-5
5-1-5
6-0-5

kaorder1999
01-08-2009, 11:07 AM
The 3-3 stack CAN be a nickel package but when I'm in my stack package I dont consider it a nickel. I walked a safety down to play in the middle (Goodlow-more of a LB anyways) and played a Cover 3 shell behind it. We got in this to help with run support and get Goodlow closer to the LOS. My outside backers stayed in so it was really more of a 3-5. A true 3-3-5 has a high safety and two low safeties which could be considered a nickel package

GreenMonster
01-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Normal defensive package = 4 defensive backs
Nickel defensive package = 5 defensive backs
Dime defensive package = 6 defensive backs

simple enough for mom speak?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-08-2009, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by jockcity33
That is pretty accurate. I am going to try and Momify it a little more.
When the offense has the ball and a long way to go in order to achieve a 1st down, the defense will bring in another fast guy and take one of the slow guys off the field, the fast guy will then help cover the fast guys for the offense.

That's not momifying it, that's trying to explain it so a 5 year old can understand it haha.

pancho villa
01-08-2009, 02:12 PM
After reading this post by you Guru's everying is just your own terminology. There are only 3 kinds of Defense a split, a fifty, and a 4-3 the rest are just variatons of these three.

What is a nickleback in Mom speak?

Answer an extra guy in the game that covers the guys who try to catch passes.

kaorder1999
01-08-2009, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by pancho villa
After reading this post by you Guru's everying is just your own terminology. There are only 3 kinds of Defense a split, a fifty, and a 4-3 the rest are just variatons of these three.

correct!

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2009, 03:32 PM

actully Bud Wilkson is credited with 3-4 D back in the 40's and Tom Landry is considerd the creater of the 4-3 and that was not until the 50's

LH Panther Mom
01-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: That I understand.

Thanks to all of you for your answers. :) And I absolutely LOVE "momify". :D

raider red 2000
01-08-2009, 07:24 PM

you forgot 2-

the Arkansas Stack Monster
and
the 5-3-5 (few refs allow it...but if you find a ref that will.....stay in it)

Silverback 04
01-09-2009, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster

If five DB's is the "Nickle", then why doesn't 6 DB's become the "Sickle" instead of the "Dime" which would signify 10 DB's? And if that were the case then we could call Celina's 10-1 the "Penny"! HeHe

LH Panther Mom
01-09-2009, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Your best bet was to just send KAO a PM!
Yeah, but then I wouldn't have seen "momify". :p