PDA

View Full Version : Surprised this made it past us

WylieBulldog92
01-08-2009, 01:03 AM
McGuffie Picks Rice to Transfer

Michigan transfer Sam McGuffie is - how can we phrase this? - a character. Unlike the first time he engaged the media on campus, McGuffie delivered a sprawling interview that covered a variety of topics late Tuesday afternoon:

On the rumors of his having suffered three concussions at Michigan: "That's definitely false. When you come in as a freshman you have to take a concussion test - it's mandatory for everybody - and after I had a concussion in the Michigan State game, I took the test again and scored the same, exact score."

On the potential of being the face of the program: "When that time comes I'll take it how I need to deal with it, but right now I just got here. This is the seniors' team just like it was at Michigan, and I understand that. I'm just ready to do my part and be that guy in the next couple of years."

On what swayed him to choose Rice: "(Owls safety) Travis Bradshaw, I played with him in high school and he's a heck of a guy. Coach (David) Bailiff, the whole coaching staff, they totally turned Rice around. Rice being a predominant baseball school winning the World Series a couple years ago, and now in football they won 10 games. Rice winning 10 games, you don't hear that a lot. If they can keep that success up and coming with the coaching staff, Rice is going to be a contender pretty soon."

On how perceptions change: "Coming out of high school you're like, 'I want to go big time. I want to go to USC, I want to go to Florida, Michigan or Ohio State.' Having gone through that being at Michigan, I know what it's like. At Rice I'll have that same opportunity to get the ball in space, make moves, and use my speed to do things I wanted to do at Michigan but it just didn't work out."

McGuffie, who is residing off campus, spoke frequently of "being in space" and made it clear that he isn't married to playing tailback. He liked how the Owls utilized James Casey, and sees himself as a Percy Harvin clone.

McGuffie at Michigan was disastrous, primarily because he didn't fit the system implemented by coach Rich Rodriguez and didn't enjoy the dreary Ann Arbor weather. Perhaps a return home will offer McGuffie everything that he is seeking.

link (http://blogs.chron.com/owls/2009/01/owls_football_hammer_herman_mc_1.html)

Maroon87
01-08-2009, 01:04 AM
That's a nice pickup for the Owls.

coach
01-08-2009, 08:03 AM
i was hopong he was headed to aggieland