PDA

View Full Version : When did the History and Discovery Channels change to...

Sweetwater Red
01-07-2009, 04:18 PM
how we're all going to die in the blink of an eye programming?:(

I used to love to watch both channels. But, now most of their
shows are about super volcanos, giant tsunamis, or meteors
wiping out our entire civilization.

I saw a commercial the other day one of the two networks that
was promoting a show about how the world is going to end in
2012.:doh:

Necks_Fan
01-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I saw a commercial the other day one of the two networks that
was promoting a show about how the world is going to end in
2012.:doh: I watched a show on the History Channel the toher day about that.

Trashman
01-07-2009, 04:22 PM
I agree. Now it's all UFO's and disasters. I remember when the history channel actually had programs about history.:mad:

pirate4state
01-07-2009, 04:26 PM
I love that stuff! Doom & gloom, baby! :D

December 21, 2012 -- haha -- you just gotta laugh at some of it and freak out with the rest of the predictions.

DDBooger
01-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state

December 21, 2012 -- haha -- you just gotta laugh at some of it and freak out with the rest of the predictions. its amazing the uniformity of that particular date. Mayans were astronomical geniuses, The Age of Aquarius. Alignment of our galaxy!

Emerson1
01-07-2009, 04:35 PM
I think this week is Apocalypse week

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-07-2009, 04:35 PM
They're not always like that, you just don't watch enough History or Discovery to see the other programming that they offer. I on the other hand watch them more than I do ESPN.

Emerson1
01-07-2009, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
They're not always like that, you just don't watch enough History or Discovery to see the other programming that they offer. I on the other hand watch them more than I do ESPN.
Same here. You can see something new and original. On Nat Geo a couple of days ago they had the taking apart of the Orange Bowl. ESPN just re-airs the same segments over and over

Necks_Fan
01-07-2009, 04:38 PM

December 21, 2012 -- haha -- you just gotta laugh at some of it and freak out with the rest of the predictions. Dec 23....:)

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-07-2009, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Same here. You can see something new and original. On Nat Geo a couple of days ago they had the taking apart of the Orange Bowl. ESPN just re-airs the same segments over and over

Really? I would like to see that.

Emerson1
01-07-2009, 04:46 PM
It should be on again, it was labeled as 2009. Was pretty neat. They recycled 95% of the stadium

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
It should be on again, it was labeled as 2009. Was pretty neat. They recycled 95% of the stadium

That's pretty cool, actually.

Maroon87
01-07-2009, 04:49 PM
History Channel has a lot of UFO hunter shows on too but those are kinda cool.

Plus they'll occasionally have some good stuff on about the space program.

pirate4state
01-07-2009, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
Dec 23....:) Uh, no

Necks_Fan
01-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Uh, no Sorry, you are right.

IDK where I came up with 23. :confused:

Oh well. Carry on.

Ranger Mom
01-07-2009, 05:01 PM

December 21, 2012 -- haha -- you just gotta laugh at some of it and freak out with the rest of the predictions.

So I don't need to worry about Christmas shopping that year??

DDBooger
01-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
So I don't need to worry about Christmas shopping that year?? :dispntd:
by some scuba gear lol

waterboy
01-07-2009, 05:08 PM
December 21, 2012 :thinking: Hmmmm...........that'll be my 16th wedding anniversary. I guess I should buy my wife the most expensive gift I can find.......on credit of course. After all, I won't have to pay for it.:D

crzyjournalist03
01-07-2009, 05:12 PM
So how exactly does Nostradamus predict we're all going down in 2012?

pirate4state
01-07-2009, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
So I don't need to worry about Christmas shopping that year?? Only if you believe that the world will end on that date. :)

mwynn05
01-07-2009, 05:15 PM
I also am i big fan of the history channel and it is indeed apoclypse week..it is kind of annoying and i dont believe it although it is based on science sort of...the myans dont necessarily predict the end of the world it is just the end of their calandar on the winter solstice of 2012 because of the galactical alignment...speakin of nat geo have you guys ever watched "locked up abroad" that show is real cool

DDBooger
01-07-2009, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
I also am i big fan of the history channel and it is indeed apoclypse week..it is kind of annoying and i dont believe it although it is based on science sort of...the myans dont necessarily predict the end of the world it is just the end of their calandar on the winter solstice of 2012 because of the galactical alignment...speakin of nat geo have you guys ever watched "locked up abroad" that show is real cool yup, some presumptions suggest a gravitational pull or some galactic event that destabilizes the earths magnetic core possibly destabilizing every fault line and volcano to activate. lmao sounds kinda Austin Powerish but hey, 50 years ago we had no proof of black holes, 20 years ago we didn't have proof of anti-matter. Who knows Who knows! lol

waterboy
01-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Yeah, they don't necessarily say it'll be the end of the world. The Mayan calendar just ends on that date. It had to end somewhere, right? Coincidentally, Nostradamus's predictions end on that date, right? Also, that Chinese calendar they brought up ends on that same date..........right? December 21, 2012, all the planets line up, if I understand correctly. Not exactly sure what that means will happen to the earth, but it has to have an effect I would think. How long has it been since that happened, all the planets lining up like that? Anybody know?

Electus Unus
01-07-2009, 05:26 PM
My favorite time to watch Discovery channel is when it is Shark Week! But my favorite shows are Mythbusters, How Its Made, and Dirty Jobs.

DDBooger
01-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
Yeah, they don't necessarily say it'll be the end of the world. The Mayan calendar just ends on that date. It had to end somewhere, right? Coincidentally, Nostradamus's predictions end on that date, right? Also, that Chinese calendar they brought up ends on that same date..........right? December 21, 2012, all the planets line up, if I understand correctly. Not exactly sure what that means will happen to the earth, but it has to have an effect I would think. How long has it been since that happened, all the planets lining up like that? Anybody know? 26,000 years

waterboy
01-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
26,000 years
I couldn't remember. I watched this show several months ago. With the gravitational field interrupted like that, it has to have some kind of effect. I don't think anybody really knows how bad those effects will be. It could be disastrous, or it could be minor, we'll just have to wait and see. My guess would be that it'll be minimal, but that's all it is......a guess.:nerd:

Sweetwater Red
01-07-2009, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END

I woke up at 3:00 this morning and had trouble going to sleep. I
flipped to the History Channel and started watching a show about
the Irish potato famine. So, I guess maybe I should just start
watching after midnight. That appears to be the only time they
televise actual history programs.:thinking:

My favorites that are programmed by my remote are the History
Channel, Discovery Channel, A&E, VH1, and ESPN 1 & 2.

DDBooger
01-07-2009, 06:17 PM
Military Channel...cool stuff

Sweetwater Red
01-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Military Channel...cool stuff

What show was that that the drill sargeant from Full Metal
Jacket had? I'm not sure if it was on the Military Channel though?:confused:

DDBooger
01-07-2009, 06:23 PM
What show was that that the drill sargeant from Full Metal
Jacket had? I'm not sure if it was on the Military Channel thouht:confused:
R. Lee Ermey
Mail Call

Looking4number8
01-07-2009, 06:23 PM

You must not have watched that show closely. What it said was if Sweetwater ever wins a State Tittle, then the world would come to an end but no way would that ever happen by 2012!:devil:

STANG RED
01-07-2009, 06:24 PM
I find myself watching the food network a lot. I'm usually just innocently channel surfing, when all of the sudden there she is. Giada in a low cut blouse, bending over stirring a big ol pot of some Italian dish. I’m not sure what it is though. My eyes just never seem to get down to it.:devil: :inlove:

Looking4number8
01-07-2009, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I find myself watching the food network a lot. I'm usually just innocently channel surfing, when all of the sudden there she is. Giada in a low cut blouse, bending over stirring a big ol pot of some Italian dish. I’m not sure what it is though. My eyes just never seem to get down to it.:devil: :inlove:

Dang, I hate that I just dogged sweetwater. Right after that you come up with a post that is on the money!

Sweetwater Red
01-07-2009, 06:27 PM
R. Lee Ermey
Mail Call

That's it. I watch it if I catch it when it's on.

One of the main things I liked about the History Channel was
when they would show miltary history. Especially Vietnam or the
Roman empire.

Looking4number8
01-07-2009, 06:29 PM

when the would show miltary history. Especially Vietnam or the
Roman empire.

That might be part of the problem. Now they have a Military History channel. I watch it all the time.

Sweetwater Red
01-07-2009, 06:30 PM

You need to search youtube and find the clip where she is
chopping carrots. Her puppies are bouncing up and down as if
she was running naked down a beach.:eek: :devil:

DDBooger
01-07-2009, 06:30 PM

when the would show miltary history. Especially Vietnam or the
Roman empire. yeah, Military Channel is a affiliate of History Channel I believe. History International is good too.

DDBooger
01-07-2009, 06:32 PM
You need to search youtube and find the clip where she is
chopping carrots. Her puppies are bouncing up and down as if
she was running naked down a beach.:eek: :devil:
Rachel Ray is another for the spank bank

ronwx5x
01-07-2009, 06:44 PM
R. Lee Ermey
Mail Call

That guy is sort of questionable in my book. Seems he actually only served about eleven years, then was released on a medical discharge. He is basically just an actor although he did serve in Vietnam. No real medals to speak of.

If you listen to him you'd think he won all wars personally.

JR2004
01-07-2009, 06:48 PM

when they would show miltary history. Especially Vietnam or the
Roman empire.

History International has a lot of shows about the Roman Empire as well as foreign wars and stuff such as that. I love watching that channel as well as the Military Channel. So many great programs on there for folks that enjoy history.

Necks_Fan
01-07-2009, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
Not exactly sure what that means will happen to the earth, but it has to have an effect I would think. The second coming.

trojan37
01-07-2009, 10:34 PM
My favorite show on Discovery is stormchasers. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg2bue2ydpk)

mwynn05
01-08-2009, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
The second coming. but the Bible says no one will know when the second coming is happening...so why would it actually happen on such a commonly predicted date....now could it be the beginning of the end...we never know but what i do know is all throughout history people have thought the world is going to end and it hasn;t so why would it now...im not one to predict a second coming but wouldnt be against it at all

maroonpirate04
01-08-2009, 03:27 AM
Watch for the blockbuster 2012 coming to theaters around July 4, 2009 if not then it might be released in spring or sometime in the summer. Giving u a heads up:D saw the trailer the other night at the movies. Supposed to be from the makers of Independence Day (1996):)

Rabid Cougar
01-08-2009, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
That guy is sort of questionable in my book. Seems he actually only served about eleven years, then was released on a medical discharge. He is basically just an actor although he did serve in Vietnam. No real medals to speak of.

If you listen to him you'd think he won all wars personally.

Wrong

Chuck Norris and his ward , Tim Tebow.

Westex Gators
01-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Last year the History Channel changed it's name to just History. It changed it's programming from the traditional history stuff to more UFO, disasters, Axemen, etc.. type stuff. I miss the old format and think they made a big mistake. Some of the new shows are entertaining but not what I want from a history network.

DDBooger
01-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Westex Gators
Last year the History Channel changed it's name to just History. It changed it's programming from the traditional history stuff to more UFO, disasters, Axemen, etc.. type stuff. I miss the old format and think they made a big mistake. Some of the new shows are entertaining but not what I want from a history network. thats why they have the other channels History International and Military Channel

STANG RED
01-08-2009, 11:55 AM
I cant remember all the drop dead dates that the world was supposed to end just in my 48 years, but I know there have been many, and many of those by supposedly reliable sources working with what they considered to be good information. Well all those dates passed without incident, so I see no reason to get all in an uproar about this 2012 date. The world may end tomorrow, or not for another million years. We simply dont know, and neither does any other living human being on this planet. Well thats not exactley true. I know, but I'm not telling.;)

DDBooger
01-08-2009, 12:00 PM
I cant remember all the drop dead dates that the world was supposed to end just in my 48 years, but I know there have been many, and many of those by supposedly reliable sources working with what they considered to be good information. Well all those dates passed without incident, so I see no reason to get all in an uproar about this 2012 date. The world may end tomorrow, or not for another million years. We simply dont know, and neither does any other living human being on this planet. Well thats not exactley true. I know, but I'm not telling.;) the significance of the date is its universality in other cultures and the relevence to celestial bodies allignment in our galaxy. On that date we sit on the equitorial line. It happened 26,000 years ago before recorded time, so no tellin what the ramifications were, but doubtfull it was anything that destructive. Our tell tale signs are the survival of animals that extend back to the dinosaur age. They'd likely be extinct if something terrible changed the planet.

NastySlot
01-08-2009, 01:42 PM
History Channels' Modern Marvels...........I love it no matter what the subject is it's great.