PDA

View Full Version : OU/BYU to open season in Jerry World

kepdawg
01-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Dallas Cowboys stadium to host Oklahoma-BYU football opener

12:32 AM CST on Wednesday, January 7, 2009

By KATE HAIROPOULOS / The Dallas Morning News
khairopoulos@dallasnews.com

MIAMI – The Cowboys' new stadium continues to draw college football to Arlington.

Oklahoma will open its 2009 season against BYU on Sept. 5 at the new $1.1 billion palace. The game will be televised by ABC or ESPN, which announced the long-rumored matchup Tuesday.

The Sooners – who play Florida in the BCS National Championship game Thursday in Miami – and Cougars get the honor of playing in the first college game in the stadium.

The game is part of a new five-year agreement between the Cowboys and ESPN to bring a college football game to the stadium each year during the Labor Day weekend.

"I don't think there is a better place than Texas to celebrate the kickoff of the 2009 college football season," Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said in a news release, "and I don't think you will find a better stadium for watching that football action than our new home."

In terms of other high-profile college events, Texas A&M and Arkansas, Jones' alma mater, have already signed a long-term annual series at the stadium. It will also host the Big 12 championship game the next two seasons, and the Cotton Bowl Classic is moving there, beginning with the next bowl in Jan. 2010. The facility will also host the 2014 NCAA Final Four and a 2013 men's basketball regional. Notre Dame and Arizona State football scheduled a game in 2013.

OU coach Bob Stoops recently said, "What Jerry Jones is doing down there is incredibly exciting."

The Sooners will play at least twice in the Dallas area in 2009, continuing the tradition of meeting Texas on Oct. 17 at the Cotton Bowl in Fair Park. OU will still have six home games in Norman.

The Sooners' incomplete 2009 nonconference schedule is already loaded with BYU, Tulsa and at Miami.

"It will be a great challenge," OU defensive coordinator Brent Venables said Tuesday after OU's practice in Florida. "They [BYU] have a great history and tradition. ... It will be great for our fans down in the metroplex ... and it will be a beautiful setting opening up the stadium."

Cowboys stadium events

Sept. 5, 2009: Oklahoma vs. BYU football game

Oct. 3, 2009: Texas A&M vs. Arkansas football game (10-year contract with options of up to 20 more years)

Dec. 5, 2009: Big 12 football championship

Jan. 2, 2010: AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic (10-year contract with options of up to 25 more years)

Feb. 14, 2010: NBA All-Star Game

Dec. 4, 2010: Big 12 football championship

Feb. 6, 2011: Super Bowl XLV

Oct. 5, 2013: Notre Dame vs. Arizona State football

April 2014: NCAA men's Final Four

LINK (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/oklahoma/stories/010709dnspooubyulede.3dabddb.html)

Emerson1
01-07-2009, 02:49 PM
If I was a High School AD I would be trying my hardest to have the first ever HS game there. So many people will come to that because it's $10 to get in just to see the stadium. Two crappy 3A teams could easily draw 20,000 people that just walk around and look at the stadium.

WTF-82
01-08-2009, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Dallas Cowboys stadium to host Oklahoma-BYU football opener

12:32 AM CST on Wednesday, January 7, 2009

By KATE HAIROPOULOS / The Dallas Morning News
khairopoulos@dallasnews.com

MIAMI – The Cowboys' new stadium continues to draw college football to Arlington.

Oklahoma will open its 2009 season against BYU on Sept. 5 at the new $1.1 billion palace. The game will be televised by ABC or ESPN, which announced the long-rumored matchup Tuesday.

The Sooners – who play Florida in the BCS National Championship game Thursday in Miami – and Cougars get the honor of playing in the first college game in the stadium.

The game is part of a new five-year agreement between the Cowboys and ESPN to bring a college football game to the stadium each year during the Labor Day weekend.

"I don't think there is a better place than Texas to celebrate the kickoff of the 2009 college football season," Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said in a news release, "and I don't think you will find a better stadium for watching that football action than our new home."

In terms of other high-profile college events, Texas A&M and Arkansas, Jones' alma mater, have already signed a long-term annual series at the stadium. It will also host the Big 12 championship game the next two seasons, and the Cotton Bowl Classic is moving there, beginning with the next bowl in Jan. 2010. The facility will also host the 2014 NCAA Final Four and a 2013 men's basketball regional. Notre Dame and Arizona State football scheduled a game in 2013.

OU coach Bob Stoops recently said, "What Jerry Jones is doing down there is incredibly exciting."

The Sooners will play at least twice in the Dallas area in 2009, continuing the tradition of meeting Texas on Oct. 17 at the Cotton Bowl in Fair Park. OU will still have six home games in Norman.

The Sooners' incomplete 2009 nonconference schedule is already loaded with BYU, Tulsa and at Miami.

"It will be a great challenge," OU defensive coordinator Brent Venables said Tuesday after OU's practice in Florida. "They [BYU] have a great history and tradition. ... It will be great for our fans down in the metroplex ... and it will be a beautiful setting opening up the stadium."

Cowboys stadium events

Sept. 5, 2009: Oklahoma vs. BYU football game

Oct. 3, 2009: Texas A&M vs. Arkansas football game (10-year contract with options of up to 20 more years)

Dec. 5, 2009: Big 12 football championship

Jan. 2, 2010: AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic (10-year contract with options of up to 25 more years)

Feb. 14, 2010: NBA All-Star Game

Dec. 4, 2010: Big 12 football championship

Feb. 6, 2011: Super Bowl XLV

Oct. 5, 2013: Notre Dame vs. Arizona State football

April 2014: NCAA men's Final Four

LINK (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/oklahoma/stories/010709dnspooubyulede.3dabddb.html)

I love the fact that OU will play teams in non conference this year games againt TCU,Cincinnati and others this is why they were able to get in the BCS title game.

DDBooger
01-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by ***-82
I love the fact that OU will play teams in non conference this year games againt TCU,Cincinnati and others this is why they were able to get in the BCS title game. yet lost to UT straight up, they got in because of a 5th tie-breaker, that placed them against a patsy north rep. plain and simple.

Emerson1
01-08-2009, 11:45 AM
It's all good until it backfires like it did for Texas and a good program completely sucking(Arkansas)