PDA

View Full Version : 6-year-old takes family car after missing bus

Trashman
01-07-2009, 04:29 AM
WICOMICO CHURCH, Va. – A 6-year-old Virginia boy who missed his bus tried to drive to school in his family's sedan — and crashed. His parents were charged with child endangerment. State police said the boy suffered only minor injuries and authorities drove him to school after he was evaluated at a local hospital for a bump on his head. He arrived shortly after lunch, Sgt. Tom Cunningham said.

It happened around 7:40 a.m. Monday on Route 360, about 61 miles east of Richmond.

The boy, whose name wasn't released, missed the bus, took the keys to his family's 2005 Ford Taurus and drove nearly six miles toward school while his mother was asleep, police said.

He made at least two 90-degree turns, passed several cars and ran off the rural two-lane road several times before hitting an embankment and utility pole about a mile and a half from school.

The boy told police he learned to drive playing Grand Theft Auto and Monster Truck Jam video games.

"He was very intent on getting to school," said Northumberland County Sheriff Chuck Wilkins. "When he got out of the car, he started walking to school. He did not want to miss breakfast and PE."

His parents, Jacqulyn Deana Waltman, 26, and David Eugene Dodson, 40, are each charged with child endangerment, Wilkins said. Waltman is being held without bond. Dodson was released on a $5,000 bond.

It was not clear if they had attorneys.

The boy and his 4-year-old brother were placed in protective custody.

"This really is a story of miracles," Wilkins said. "The Lord was with him, along with everybody else on the highway."

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-07-2009, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by Trashman
WICOMICO CHURCH, Va. – A 6-year-old Virginia boy who missed his bus tried to drive to school in his family's sedan — and crashed. His parents were charged with child endangerment. State police said the boy suffered only minor injuries and authorities drove him to school after he was evaluated at a local hospital for a bump on his head. He arrived shortly after lunch, Sgt. Tom Cunningham said.

It happened around 7:40 a.m. Monday on Route 360, about 61 miles east of Richmond.

The boy, whose name wasn't released, missed the bus, took the keys to his family's 2005 Ford Taurus and drove nearly six miles toward school while his mother was asleep, police said.

He made at least two 90-degree turns, passed several cars and ran off the rural two-lane road several times before hitting an embankment and utility pole about a mile and a half from school.

The boy told police he learned to drive playing Grand Theft Auto and Monster Truck Jam video games.

"He was very intent on getting to school," said Northumberland County Sheriff Chuck Wilkins. "When he got out of the car, he started walking to school. He did not want to miss breakfast and PE."

His parents, Jacqulyn Deana Waltman, 26, and David Eugene Dodson, 40, are each charged with child endangerment, Wilkins said. Waltman is being held without bond. Dodson was released on a $5,000 bond.

It was not clear if they had attorneys.

The boy and his 4-year-old brother were placed in protective custody.

"This really is a story of miracles," Wilkins said. "The Lord was with him, along with everybody else on the highway."

I read a story in the Austin-American Statesman a few weeks (or maybe months) ago of a two-year-old who walked out of his parent's house at 2:00 AM and was standing on the side of the freeway about a mile from his home and nothing was done to his parents. This doesn't really seem like the blame can be placed on the parents to me in all honesty. You teach a kid right from wrong and send them to the bus stop and they go and do stuff while the parents are asleep. They have an independent mind and make their own decisions ultimately and the parents who had no knowledge of the incident could do nothing to stop it. I really don't think this case could hold much merit if they attain a proper attorney.

Ranger Mom
01-07-2009, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I read a story in the Austin-American Statesman a few weeks (or maybe months) ago of a two-year-old who walked out of his parent's house at 2:00 AM and was standing on the side of the freeway about a mile from his home and nothing was done to his parents. This doesn't really seem like the blame can be placed on the parents to me in all honesty. You teach a kid right from wrong and send them to the bus stop and they go and do stuff while the parents are asleep. They have an independent mind and make their own decisions ultimately and the parents who had no knowledge of the incident could do nothing to stop it. I really don't think this case could hold much merit if they attain a proper attorney.

My first thought of was what was a 6 yr. old doing getting up and ready for school by himself while the mom slept??

I have to give the kid some kudos....he definitely shows some independence!

waterboy
01-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Why was the mother asleep? That kid should not have been out waiting for the bus without supervision. There must be more to the story if the dad is being held "without bond".

Ranger Mom
01-07-2009, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by waterboy
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Why was the mother asleep? That kid should not have been out waiting for the bus without supervision. There must be more to the story if the dad is being held "without bond".

It's the mom that is being held without bond.

crzyjournalist03
01-07-2009, 10:13 AM
What kind of parent lets their six-year old play Grand Theft Auto???

Looking4number8
01-07-2009, 10:14 AM
I think the parents are responsible for this. If the boy was even a little late, no way the mother should have sent him to the bus stop and went back to bed. (that's giving her the benefit of the doubt that she got up with him in the first place)

Also look at the ages of the parents. 40 and 26. That means when the woman got pregnant he was 34 and she was 19. Although this is legal it is still a little disturbing.

The whole situation seems bad.

waterboy
01-07-2009, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
It's the mom that is being held without bond.
Yeah, you're right. I had to go back and re-read that. I still don't see how this warrants being held without bond.........unless she is on parole, probation, or something like that. Then it may warrant being held without bond.

Phil C
01-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Looking4number8
I think the parents are responsible for this. If the boy was even a little late, no way the mother should have sent him to the bus stop and went back to bed. (that's giving her the benefit of the doubt that she got up with him in the first place)

Also look at the ages of the parents. 40 and 26. That means when the woman got pregnant he was 34 and she was 19. Although this is legal it is still a little disturbing.

The whole situation seems bad.

Hey my sister got married when she was barely 19 and had her first baby before she turned 20! Her husband was 20 and they raised two children. Unforunately they barely made it to their silver anniversary when he passed away from cancer. They were responsible parents and the marriage lasted until death did them part.

Ranger Mom
01-07-2009, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Hey my sister got married when she was barely 19 and had her first baby before she turned 20! Her husband was 20 and they raised two children. Unforunately they barely made it to their silver anniversary when he passed away from cancer. They were responsible parents and the marriage lasted until death did them part.

I don't know if he was questioning her age as much as the age difference between the mom and dad!!

crzyjournalist03
01-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I don't know if he was questioning her age as much as the age difference between the mom and dad!!

Well, they have different last names, so it's entirely possible that the man listed as the "father" isn't the biological father since his mom isn't married.

STANG RED
01-07-2009, 11:24 AM
I kind of admire the little feller’s intestinal fortitude. I don’t think there are many kids out there that would go to that much trouble to try to get to school.
I hate to make too many assumptions, due to the limited information in the article. But I can only assume there must be a lot more to this than this incident alone. You don’t hold someone without bond for something like this alone.

crzyjournalist03
01-07-2009, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I kind of admire the little feller’s intestinal fortitude. I don’t think there are many kids out there that would go to that much trouble to try to get to school.
I hate to make too many assumptions, due to the limited information in the article. But I can only assume there must be a lot more to this than this incident alone. You don’t hold someone without bond for something like this alone.

key word on the intestinal...poor kid was hungry and knew he wasn't going to eat breakfast if he didn't make it to school.

Emerson1
01-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
What kind of parent lets their six-year old play Grand Theft Auto???
It makes kids want to go to school. Who wouldnt?

IHStangFan
01-07-2009, 02:16 PM
resourceful little guy...I'll say that!! LOL. But T-man...where the HELL do you find all of these stories? LOL!!!

On a serious note...some people shouldn't breed/procreate.