PDA

View Full Version : Dorris Witherspoon has passed away...

JR2004
01-06-2009, 05:32 PM
I had posted a few months ago (Believe it was in August) that she didn't have a whole lot of time left, but she defied the odds and made it to this past Saturday night before finally passing away. I believe she was 78 years old. Mrs. Witherspoon willingly ended her dialysis treatment about a week or so prior to that, full well knowing she would have just 7-10 days left. She wanted to go out on her terms. She had been diagnosed with cancer over the summer and that combined with the three dialysis treatments she had per week was just too much for someone her age. I have to say that in all the times I visited her at the rehab center she was at, she never once complained how bad she was hurting physically and always had a smile on her face. You could tell how much pain she was in, but she never, ever would let you know.

Most of y'all will not know who she is, but there's a few who did like DaHop and Shankbear (who played for Mr. Witherspoon at West Orange.)...I believe Ernest might know who she is as her husband periodically visited Hebron's workouts and practices while he was there and has done so since the school opened I believe because his granddaughter graduated from there. I know that Dan Hooks at WO-S knows her as he and Mr. Witherspoon have been friends for several decades.

Her husband is Don Witherspoon. He was a high school football coach in Texas for 35 years. He coached at several schools that are currently at the 3A level. The ones I know of were Sweetwater, Snyder, West Orange (back before the schools came together. They were the Chiefs at that time I believe.) and Bridge City among others. As you can imagine Mr. Witherspoon is taking this pretty hard. They had been married for 58 years and had known each other since the age of three when they were kids in Roscoe. That's amazing to me that they knew each other for 75 years or so.

For anyone that's around Dallas that knows her or the family, the memorial service will be at 3:30 pm on Friday at Prestonwood Baptist Church. Neal Jeffrey (Former QB at Baylor) is an associate pastor at Prestonwood and he'll be conducting the service. It'll be in the smaller chapel that they have is what her son Doak told me today. I believe that after the service they'll be taking her remains to Roscoe to spread her ashes on the family farm there as she requested. If any of y'all that know Mr. Witherspoon or his sons Doak, Dane or Tracy just pm me and I'll get you some contact info if you would like it. I'm sure they'd appreciate any kind thoughts or prayers you might have for them or their family.