PDA

View Full Version : Longhorn Linebackers

44 Magnum
01-06-2009, 09:34 AM
Has anyone noticed how poor the UT Linebackers play versus the run. They are not very physical and they take terrible angles. If you really watch the game, UT has done remarkably well with inferior Linebackers and a very young and inexperienced secondary. Winning 12 games this season could be considered a miracle considering their schedule.

Txbroadcaster
01-06-2009, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by 44 Magnum
Has anyone noticed how poor the UT Linebackers play versus the run. They are not very physical and they take terrible angles. If you really watch the game, UT has done remarkably well with inferior Linebackers and a very young and inexperienced secondary. Winning 12 games this season could be considered a miracle considering their schedule.

I would have agreed last year...but not this year..The LB corp for Texas has done a complete turn around.

did they struggle at times last night yes..but they also in the 2nd half shut down Wells and eventually knocked him out.

In saying that..The LB corp is built to be athletic and quick, not alot of size and this was first true power run team they faced and it took them a half to adjust

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-06-2009, 11:02 AM
In all honesty it's smarter to have a linebacking corp like Texas does. Nobody in the Big XII runs a true power and true lead running game. All they were doing was putting speed and athleticism against speed and athleticism when you look at the backs that are in our conference this year. You have guys who are quick and athletic who stop flow to the outside and can generally fill the gaps and tackle the smaller backs, but when you get a bigger back like Chris Wells is when you can get into a little trouble. They did a pretty good job of adjusting to it and stopped him towards the end of the game.

44 Magnum
01-06-2009, 02:17 PM
I saw OSU run all over UT and it was the same thing. Bad angles, not filling holes and poor tackling have been a problem for UT's LB corp and I will stand by my original post. UT needs a legitimate stud at LB to control the LOS (line of scrimmage).

Necks_Fan
01-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Did you see Chris Wells get knocked out of the game and the run game shut down in the 2nd half also?

ol country boy
01-06-2009, 02:27 PM
How is that true MLB going to stop the run against Tech, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Baylor, Missouri, Kansas. All these teams in this conference pass the ball.

They recruit for what they need and face

eagles_victory
01-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Last time I checked Chris Wells was pretty good its not like Texas is the only defense to have some problems stopping him.

Necks_Fan
01-06-2009, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Last time I checked Chris Wells was pretty good its not like Texas is the only defense to have some problems stopping him. It's not like he totally dominated.

He ran VERY effectively in the first half, then the Horns put him out after about 5 carries and shut down the run.

I think OSU had a great game plan that kept them in this game.

I think even despite that, and the Horns coming out not playing well..... they still win.

Testament to the horns. :clap:

Electus Unus
01-06-2009, 04:03 PM
Wells was good between the twenty's but when they got inside the twenty's the Longhorn D stepped up and shut him down along with the Ohio State offense.