PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts about 2008

OldBison75
01-06-2009, 09:20 AM
This year in 3A football was pretty interesting. Lots of news, lots of upsets, and lots of excitement. The usual players had great seasons like Celina, Liberty Hill, Gilmer, Abilene Wylie, etc.. Then there were the surprises in the mix like Monahans, Bridgeport, Sinton, Bellville, and Rockdale.

I think that with the news early in the year about Chris Parr being arrested at LaVega, some in central Texas were counting that team out. People found that they were still pretty good without Parr and darn good with him. He served his time away from the game and was eventually cleared of charges and came back strong. Many question how he got to practice with the team while on alternative school assignment, but the system allowed it. The point is that no matter what, Parr was not the only weapon on the team.

The early year losses at Celina and Gilmer had alot of people in shock and dismissing their chances for a strong playoff run. But, great coaching and great players always face adversity and find the way to win when ithe season is on the line. Both teams came back stronger and both were outstanding in the playoffs. No surprise here.

Liberty Hill had another great year and even though they saw the end of a winning streak that was about the most impressive thing I have ever seen, they did not back down from any challenge. They played one of the toughest non-district schedules that could be found in 3-A and kept rolling along.

We got a chance to see some of the best athletes in Texas High School football play every week. There will be several dozen division 1 recruits coming out of the 3A ranks this year. I would be willing to bet that you could take the best of 3-A and buld a team that could beat almost anybody. There is a difference in the numbers in the higher classifications but there are alot of 3A athletes that are just as good as the best of the 5A athletes.

Then, I got to meet some of the best football fans in the world at the meet and greets that I attended. Fans that showed at games that their teams were not even playing in. A Liberty Hill group at the Navasota - LaVega game was impressive. A LH fan also came to the Navasota - Cameron Game. Fans from all over the state were seen and that is what makes Texas High School Football great.

We had alot of good natured bickering on the board and alot of crow was eaten this year, but there is nothing better than "friends" being able to banter with each other, brag a little (or a lot), and then congratulate the other guy on being right (this time).

Next year I predict the same cast of teams will be factors in the playoffs with a few surprises. And, to you guys in Brownwood---hold your heads up--- 2009 is a new year and you now know what 3A football is again. In 2009 you will be back and Brownwood will make a run to the top---well toward the top.

Thanks for a great football season and I hope that everyone reamins safe, happy, and looking forward to spring practices when football blood starts boiling again.

Txbroadcaster
01-06-2009, 09:27 AM
The only thing I disagree about is saying the Loss Gilmer had alot of people in shock

they lost to a 4A East Texas power. No one in East Texas was anywhere close to being shocked. Kilgore was supposed to win that game. In fact I think alot of Gilmer people felt better about their team after that game because Kilgore did not run wild on them

Pawdaddy
01-06-2009, 10:14 AM
I agree with most everything you have stated. Many of the same teams will be making another run in 2009, no doubt. That is why we talk about the programs. In Gilmer, we call it "RELOADING."

If TF2 is reading, this is your monthly reminder that Gilmer is ready, NOW! My newest prediction is this.... Gilmer will be the preseason #1 in 3A. Put the Buckeyes on your wall, message board, ceiling above your bed, and anywhere else you might look, because if your team goes anywhere in 2009, they WILL have to go through Gilmer! Mark it down.

Texasfootball2
01-06-2009, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Pawdaddy
I agree with most everything you have stated. Many of the same teams will be making another run in 2009, no doubt. That is why we talk about the programs. In Gilmer, we call it "RELOADING."

If TF2 is reading, this is your monthly reminder that Gilmer is ready, NOW! My newest prediction is this.... Gilmer will be the preseason #1 in 3A. Put the Buckeyes on your wall, message board, ceiling above your bed, and anywhere else you might look, because if your team goes anywhere in 2009, they WILL have to go through Gilmer! Mark it down.

Only if your Div 1:D , but if you are fortunate to be in the 3A Div. 1 playoffs, as a big Wylie fan I would love to see these two teams butt heads again. The first meeting will be hard to top though.

Pawdaddy
01-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
Only if your Div 1:D , but if you are fortunate to be in the 3A Div. 1 playoffs, as a big Wylie fan I would love to see these two teams butt heads again. The first meeting will be hard to top though.

Glad to see you are still around. You are right. That was a great game and Gilmer was certainly fortunate to come out on top. I wish Gilmer would schedule someone like Wylie or LH for Week 0. That would be woth driving for.

I will call you out again in February.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Texasfootball2
01-06-2009, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Pawdaddy
Glad to see you are still around. You are right. That was a great game and Gilmer was certainly fortunate to come out on top. I wish Gilmer would schedule someone like Wylie or LH for Week 0. That would be woth driving for.

I will call you out again in February.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Looking forward to it:2thumbsup

lostaussie
01-06-2009, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
The only thing I disagree about is saying the Loss Gilmer had alot of people in shock

they lost to a 4A East Texas power. No one in East Texas was anywhere close to being shocked. Kilgore was supposed to win that game. In fact I think alot of Gilmer people felt better about their team after that game because Kilgore did not run wild on them yep, it didn't have me in shock..............actually had me feeling pretty good about the Buckeyes after that one.